Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Transmission Problem. Need Advice Badly!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2011, 08:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Problem. Need Advice Badly!!!

My car has recently been acting up and after dealing with the problem a few times I have realized that it is my transmission that is giving me problems. Almost every other time I drive my 03 S60 I run into this problem. When my car has to drop into a low gear it has a problem doing it and won't drop for whatever reason. This causing the car to vibrate out of control and slow done significantly and producing no power. The car is about to turn over 150,000 miles and I don't know if the transmission needs maintenance or not. The car is starting to do it more and more frequently and I want to resolve the problem before the entire transmission goes. It only seems to have the problem when it gets to third and above and has to shift back down into second or first. My brother is a mechanic and when he plugs the car in with the check engine light on it doesn't give him any codes. Also when the problem happens a memo comes up that says "try slow down or shift down," only problem is my car is an automatic. The only way I have been able to get it to stop doing this while driving is putting it into neutral and coast for a little bit until the transmission releases. Any ideas on what to do? Can this problem be caused because I need an update? Should I flush the transmission, or maybe put in an additive that helps with easier shifting? Also when the car shifts into first gear it has recently been hitting first gear extremely hard and the front of the car dips when first gear engages. Any tips, ideas, or advice will be extremely appreciated.

Last edited by VolvoS60Life; 11-04-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:15 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VolvoS60Life
My car has recently been acting up and after dealing with the problem a few times I have realized that it is my transmission that is giving me problems. Almost every other time I drive my 03 S60 I run into this problem. When my car has to drop into a low gear it has a problem doing it and won't drop for whatever reason. This causing the car to vibrate out of control and slow done significantly and producing no power. The car is about to turn over 150,000 miles and I don't know if the transmission needs maintenance or not. The car is starting to do it more and more frequently and I want to resolve the problem before the entire transmission goes. It only seems to have the problem when it gets to third and above and has to shift back down into second or first. My brother is a mechanic and when he plugs the car in with the check engine light on it doesn't give him any codes. Also when the problem happens a memo comes up that says "try slow down or shift down," only problem is my car is an automatic. The only way I have been able to get it to stop doing this while driving is putting it into neutral and coast for a little bit until the transmission releases. Any ideas on what to do? Can this problem be caused because I need an update? Should I flush the transmission, or maybe put in an additive that helps with easier shifting? Also when the car shifts into first gear it has recently been hitting first gear extremely hard and the front of the car dips when first gear engages. Any tips, ideas, or advice will be extremely appreciated.
Ok the first thing you need to do is Replace the trany fluid .Trany uses this Fluid JWS3309(Volvo) Mobil 3309 or toyota t-iv they are all the same fluid just rebranded. Takes 12qts to do a full flush IPD sells a Kit to make this easier . Also if you have not done so already have any and all software updates done at the dealer.Also take a look at B4 Servo Cover Update Im not 100% sure this is for the 03 but worth the phone call.I had a similar issues with my 03 S60 AWD and with the software update and the fluid flush the problems have all but disappeared.The fluid should be replaced at or before 100k This is not a huge expense so is worth a try. The only other way to go is start looking for a Indy Volvo shop and find out what they charge for a trany rebuild. I hate to say it but when these trany problem arise and are not fixed right away in most cases the damage is done and nothing can be done to save. But start with software and New fluid first. GL

Old 11-18-2011, 11:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 02 xc v70 has the same issues!

WOW! When it rains it pours! I just did my 105k tune up and other issues that added up to 3,100 bucks! It ran GREAT for about 800 miles then guess what? I'm having the same problems now that you are!! I had software updates and all!! I took it back to the dealer to look at my trans (also the problems don't happen till the car is warmed up)! The service man took it for a test drive, hooked it up to see if it was a simple update glitch BUT NO!! He put it into drive and she just sat there, nothing then I told him I have been having to "feather" the gas till (like yours) bang into gear! Weird, I didn't have any problems till after the service! Then on my way home, the car "in gear" I didn't know what gear it was in lol seemed like 3rd! OK!! LOOK OUT FOR THIS!! I had a warning light come on saying "TRANSMISSION SERVICE URGENT"!! So, I'm sitting along side the road trying to get it into some kind of forward gear then I remembered that it drove ok when it is cool. So I sat for a while, got into the car to try to make it home and when I put it into drive, nothing. Look out and becareful because the car wanted to go forward in PARK, REVERSE, NEUTRAL and DRIVE! Funny because at that time I wanted to reverse! Well, we pushed it back enough so then I could try to go forward and didn't have any more problems on my non stop 9 mile trip home! We need some serious help! The dealer wanted to sell me a new trans. for almost 5k!!
Oh, If when you do start it and it wants to go forward in reverse? TURN THE MOTOR OFF AND RESTART IT!! For me it seemed to reset it.
This is my 3rd Volvo and it's an 02 cross country wagon. It's the last gift my husband bought me before he passed away in 09. Yeah, I'm a retired heavy equipment operator in my 50's and a woman. I will be doing a flush and filter, oil change and Pray that that "warning light is correct" and that solves my problems! I hope that does it for you too!!
( the top volvo mechanic at my dealership told me that the warning light that came on wasn't that issue) at least that what it told him when he hooked it up! They said "this is major, and i'll have to replace the trans!!" I'm going the cheaper way and service it first! The fluid was weak and dark! Hey, Please post what you do and I'll do the same! We just might get back on the road sooner and way cheaper, quicker! GOOD LUCK!! Nan