Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Transmission slipping...uh oh

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:19 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission slipping...uh oh

New to the forum but came hear to educate myself of some issues my 2004 S60 2.5T FWD automatic is having. Mainly, within past week or so, about once a day the car will rev up rpm(i.e. slip) while shifting from 1st to 2nd gear or 2nd to 3rd gear. It usually only happens once but just enough to go "oh crap, please dont tell me thats my tranny going" Basic question or poll of opinions on this board would be is this a sign of the beginning of the end for my transmission or is there some maintanence that can be done to stave off such a costly fate. I have read of some flushing of the fluid helping and onboard cp updates for timing? Would these be my recommended courses of action this week? I do NOT have the money to fix anything major so a tranny failure would be as good as scraping a very nice car. It has 73k on the clock and regularly serviced at a bay area volvo dealer but likely falls outside of any warranty protection.

thanks in advance for any and all opinions
regards
john e

Old 10-08-2008, 10:36 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: Transmission slipping...uh oh

If all software updates have not been done they should be done.
Also A flush might or might not help.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:47 AM

THANKS TECH

I PLAN ON HAVING A FLUSH DONE LATER THIS WEEK. AS FAR AS SOFTWARE UPDATES, IS THAT SOMETHING THAT THE VOLVO DEALER WOULD AUTOMATICALLY DO DURING A MAJOR SVC(AS I HAD 60KDONE 3 MONTHS AGO)? I DONT RECALL SEEING IT ON INVOICE

Old 10-08-2008, 11:41 AM
Administrator

NO they don't check for that.
You will have to ask them to check it.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:28 PM

do the software updates cost anything or could I just walk into any dealer without warranty and ask them to do the update(like a recall thing?) s60 t5 01

Old 10-08-2008, 03:39 PM
Administrator

No they cost to have them done.
It should be around $30.00 for the software only then the labor between 1/2 to 1 hour labor.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:50 PM

ok thanks. So somewhere around $100 total then.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Administrator

It all depends on labor rates and the labor they charge you for.
Might be as high is $150.00

Old 10-08-2008, 10:12 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine does it all the time, but only when accelerating hard and at higher rpms. I called the dealer and they said it did have the software upgrade done to it. I just didn't think it was a big deal and thought maybe that's just a quark of their 5-speed transmission.

Under normal driving conditions it doesn't do it.

Old 10-09-2008, 12:05 PM

ORIGINAL: HummerGuy

Mine does it all the time, but only when accelerating hard and at higher rpms. I called the dealer and they said it did have the software upgrade done to it. I just didn't think it was a big deal and thought maybe that's just a quark of their 5-speed transmission.

Under normal driving conditions it doesn't do it.
Would Recommend a Flush

Heres what you need
http://www.ipdusa.com/version.asp?st...&V_ID=6902
http://www.ipdusa.com/Volvo-S60/Tran...p-74-405-1053/

Old 10-09-2008, 07:29 PM

Thanks!

Old 10-10-2008, 03:38 AM

after I read at IPD(I think) about the flush, I am not so sure I want to go through with it. They wrote that doing a flush COULD result in friction being lost = car would not move at all. This would of course only happen if the tranny fluid hadnt been changed for a while(like in my newly bought car where I doubt they have ever changed it @ 107xxx miles). So what am I supposed to do? Just go ahead and risk it or leave it like it is = running normal.

Old 10-10-2008, 07:36 AM

That doesn't make any sense to me. They actually have on the site that statement about not moving at all?

That's really odd. I'd like to know the answer to that as well!

Old 10-10-2008, 08:12 AM
Administrator

Alot of people on this site have done it that way and as far as I know no one has ever had any problems.

Old 10-10-2008, 03:13 PM

On the hose kit, there is a PDF file with instructions. That is where I got this from.
Also, if the fluid in your
car is severely burnt (black in color instead of red) we have heard of a situation where replacing the old
fluid can cause the transmission to stop working. Apparently, debris in the dirty fluid acts as a friction
enhancer allowing worn out clutch packs to function. The new fluid removes the debris and the
transmission may now slip to the point of immobility. This is extremely unusual, but it is something you
should be aware of if the transmission in your Volvo has been neglected for many years.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:30 AM

The symptoms you describe are that of the solenoids in the trans are slow to move. This is usually caused by very dirty fluid or in extreme cases bad solenoids (my trans). You need to flush the fluid a few times and if that does not work the only fix is to replace the complete valve body with the solenoids (I know Tech does not agree but my trans is now at 30000 miles with the new v.b. and no more shifting problems).
Changing fluid in the trans is not like getting a blood transfusion, the tranny can't reject the new fluid! If the trans does not shift afterward (never heard of this...) it was probably about 100 miles from packing it in anyways. B.T.W. I am sure you know to use the right Mobil fluid, or equivalent, right?

Old 10-12-2008, 07:38 AM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: 2002v70

The symptoms you describe are that of the solenoids in the trans are slow to move. This is usually caused by very dirty fluid or in extreme cases bad solenoids (my trans). You need to flush the fluid a few times and if that does not work the only fix is to replace the complete valve body with the solenoids (I know Tech does not agree but my trans is now at 30000 miles with the new v.b. and no more shifting problems).
Changing fluid in the trans is not like getting a blood transfusion, the tranny can't reject the new fluid! If the trans does not shift afterward (never heard of this...) it was probably about 100 miles from packing it in anyways. B.T.W. I am sure you know to use the right Mobil fluid, or equivalent, right?
I don't disagree with that. We are all still learning new stuff everyday. For a while Volvo wouldn't even sell the Valve Bodies.
But any one that can come up with new info is always great.

I am having problems with my 850 tranny as well and I am thinking I might try a valve body first before a new tranny.
But my problem is after the car gets warm and I come to a stop it goes into neutral. To get it to move I need to tap the gas.
I am thinking a bad solenoid or something like that. So I am trying to locate a used Valve body to try.(Kick self just junked a tranny from work with the proper valve body)

Old 10-12-2008, 07:48 AM

I your car I would just try new solenoids, but in mine they changed and updated the v.b design. You can get solenoids from transmission shop supply places. I have seen them on the net as well.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:53 AM
Administrator

I will look for them. Thanks

Old 10-12-2008, 07:55 AM

Also,a friend has had several (4 or 5 now) 850 Turbo's and some of them have had trans problems. The one he drives now is a peach (just a little ripe) that had shifting issues. He has fixed it by doing at least 4 trans flushes with cheap Dextron and thelast one with Amsoil. It has been almost a year and the trans has "fixed" itself. No more problems.

Quick Reply: Transmission slipping...uh oh