Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

What cars are high pressure turbo's and what's needed to swap into low pressure car

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2023, 04:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What cars are high pressure turbo's and what's needed to swap into low pressure car

Hi want to build my 2002 2.4 turbo. Run into problems controlling it. It can cost big money to do it a lot of times. I'm interested in making it a high pressure turbo system, that would be close to what I want. I don't need tons of power a little more boost would probably be all I need. Can anyone give me an idea what stock cars are high pressure and what parts are needed to swap over?

Old 03-16-2023, 04:36 PM
Received 614 Likes on 579 Posts

Your ecu is not going to allow more boost than is programmed into it. So you will need a tune - from someone such as Hilton and others. A tune can make a stock LP turbo car have almost as much power as a T5 HP turbo car - that's about 250 HP. Any more would require turbo hardware as well as a tune. The 04-07 R cars have about 300 hp, with a bigger turbo and an extra intercooler (and bigger brakes too!)

The ecu in all these cars also limits torque/power in lower gears to keep from frying the trans so quickly. Tuners (for more money) can disable that safeguard if you really want to take that chance!

Old 03-16-2023, 04:51 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

If you want to know which cars are HP vs LPTs, you can use the badging, engine code (the B5xxxTx number on the timing cover sticker) or the VIN (theres a two digit engine code that maps to the B number.). So generally speaking T5s are HP, 2.5T or 2.4T badges are LP.
You can read more on the specs for each engine variant by googling "Volvo modular engine wiki".

With all that said, the main differences between a HP and LPT set up are 1) engine tune (as Hoonk noted) where the LPT tune limits boost to a lower PSI than the HP tune 2) HP uses a bigger turbo (ie more pumping capacity, not physical size). Your generation car uses a Mitsubishi TD04 turbo which use various impeller/compressor wheels to produce different capacity. LPTs may use a 13T or 14T which spool more quickly for better low end torque and driveability, where the HP engines use either a 16T or 18T (not sure what the R models use). So if you add a tune, you will still have a smaller turbo with a limited max capacity but you can probably sneak an extra 30 HP via the tune. If you upgrade the turbo say to a 16 or 18T and apply a tune, now you may be looking at +50-75 HP. Problem then becomes, all that extra HP requires extra fuel, produces extra heat, puts stress on the air tubing etc so its best to go with a blue print on how to improve to a Stage 1 or 1+ or 2. Also with that extra boost comes a need for better fuel. LPTs can get by with 89 or 91 octane. Cars on a tune will require 93.

Old 03-19-2023, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127
If you want to know which cars are HP vs LPTs, you can use the badging, engine code (the B5xxxTx number on the timing cover sticker) or the VIN (theres a two digit engine code that maps to the B number.). So generally speaking T5s are HP, 2.5T or 2.4T badges are LP.
You can read more on the specs for each engine variant by googling "Volvo modular engine wiki".

With all that said, the main differences between a HP and LPT set up are 1) engine tune (as Hoonk noted) where the LPT tune limits boost to a lower PSI than the HP tune 2) HP uses a bigger turbo (ie more pumping capacity, not physical size). Your generation car uses a Mitsubishi TD04 turbo which use various impeller/compressor wheels to produce different capacity. LPTs may use a 13T or 14T which spool more quickly for better low end torque and driveability, where the HP engines use either a 16T or 18T (not sure what the R models use). So if you add a tune, you will still have a smaller turbo with a limited max capacity but you can probably sneak an extra 30 HP via the tune. If you upgrade the turbo say to a 16 or 18T and apply a tune, now you may be looking at +50-75 HP. Problem then becomes, all that extra HP requires extra fuel, produces extra heat, puts stress on the air tubing etc so its best to go with a blue print on how to improve to a Stage 1 or 1+ or 2. Also with that extra boost comes a need for better fuel. LPTs can get by with 89 or 91 octane. Cars on a tune will require 93.
Well i already have a bigger turbo, thought it would need a different stock ecu set up for high boost , bigger injectors, different sensors mavbe wiring etc. . The hard and expensive part is getting the aftermarket tune nobody does it cheaply. I was hoping to get a stock ecu from a high boost car and hope it could handle slightly more boost than a low boost setup.. Thanks

Old 03-21-2023, 04:29 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

Don't know what you consider as expensive or who's tuning product you've looked at. I did a quick check and Hilton offers a tune for under $400. IPD sells a Motronic 7 flash tune for $725 and there are other brands (BSR, Elevate, Rica, OE Tuning etc) so there is a pretty good choice of suppliers to check out. I don't know if anybody has tried to take the ECU out of a 2002 S60 T5 and dropped it into a 2.4T. You could do that on the older 850s but each year Volvo made the cars more dependent on computers (ie like how your car is drive by wire with an electronic throttle mechanism) so there's a good chance its not plug and play where buying a tuner solution is...

Old 03-22-2023, 03:54 PM

Thanks I'll look into hilton . I looked a while back and the only posts about programming I could find were from places that were all over 1000 to 1200 in costs. My car is a beater, lot of things wrong can't put that kind of money in one thing . I'm thinking about a low budget build .I'd like to use some ford 2.3 turbo parts I have . I have a rebuilt center section t3 turbo putting that together with a adaptor a turbo company sells to mount the t3 turbo to stock volvo exhaust manifold. I'd have to possibly redo the tubbing from air cleaner to turbo and from turbo to intercooler. Maybe the downpipe also I don't know. I have a t3 .54 turbo exhaust housing that's just slighly bigger than the volvo one. It would still keep the power down low. the compressor side of the t3 is a lot bigger than the volvo housing though so more boost. I'm willing to get bigger injectors and other parts if I can get them used. The thing that stopped me so far is the high cost of the programming. Don't know if it would work but that's my idea. Trying to make sort of a copy of the high pressure volvo turbo cars. I was hoping to use used volvo high pressure turbo parts and ecm to control it. Sounds like that's harder than I thought. Thanks for your help