Volvo S60 & V60 The mid level Volvo sedan and wagon that offer power, performance and an exciting ride.

Will this happen to the car in case of an accident?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will this happen to the car in case of an accident?

Hi all,

While looking on the Internet I found this picture of a Volvo S60 that had a small accident where the only damage is the front bumper but the airbags went off and caused this:

As you could see the dash and the steering wheel got ruined and ripped when the airbags went off, so are they suppose to do so?

Old 07-11-2007, 11:32 PM
Default RE: Will this happen to the car in case of an accident?

Yes, this is how airbags work in all cars. The steering wheel isn't ruined, that front rubber cover is exchangable. The dash might be more of a problem in this car because it's all molded and, as dashes go, rather large, but there's really not much option.

in most cases, if the airbags deploy, I doubt you'd worry much about the steering wheel. You'd feel much more strongly about the intact nature of you (and your wifes!) face.

Old 07-12-2007, 12:10 PM

My wife is strong, she can take it. Lol I'm joking and I'm not even married. I was just wondering and of course my saftey and the saftey of my passenger is more important. What causes the airbags to deploy anyway? for example if I hit a wild dog or sthg will that cause them to deploy?

Old 07-12-2007, 12:47 PM

Honestly, I think it varies fomr Mfr to Mfr. Here is an excerpt I found on GMs website after a quick Google search:

"Whether your frontal air bags will or should deploy is not based on how fast your vehicle is traveling. It depends largely on what you hit, the direction of the impact and how quickly your vehicle slows down. Air bags are designed to inflate in frontal and near-frontal crashes that exceed a predetermined deployment "threshold." That threshold takes into account a variety of desired deployment and non-deployment events and is used to predict how severe the crash is likely to be in time for the air bags to inflate and cushion the occupants. Typically, if a vehicle goes straight into a wall that does not move or deform, the bags will deploy at an impact speed of about 9 to 16 miles per hour. Impact speeds that are likely to result in a crash that exceeds the deployment threshold will differ if the vehicle hits something that moves or deforms, or if the impact is localized — such as hitting a pole — or at an angle. The severity of a head-on crash into a wall at 9 to 16 miles per hour is similar to that of a head-on crash into an identical parked car at 18 to 32 miles per hour. Deployment thresholds can vary with vehicle design, and different manufacturers use different deployment thresholds."

Keep in mind, too, that your Volvo has a lot more airbags than those 2.

Both of your front seats have airbags mounted on them that will protect your torso in the event of a side impact. If you open your door, and crouch down, you can see the assembly (Marked "SIPS") next to the power seat controls. Furthermore, you have a front and rear side curtain on both the driver and passenger sides of the car. You can see these at the top of the "B" and "C" pillars marked "IC" (inflatable curtain).

The side airbags are designed to deploy only on the side of the impact, but it's theoretically possible that all 8 airbags could deploy in a single accident. If that did happen, however, I'm sure the car would be totalled. It would require a significant impact on both sides of the car.