Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

1998 S70 GLT, Black on Black

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I envy you T5_Driver. :P

Old 05-07-2009, 10:01 PM

this is the good side of my car as of now:
Name:  102_2567.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  79.2 KB

Name:  102_2568.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  68.4 KB

and this is the bad side of my vehicle:
Name:  102_2569.jpg
Views: 116
Size:  58.3 KB

Name:  102_2570.jpg
Views: 104
Size:  46.6 KB

Name:  102_2571.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  53.8 KB

So here is the whole update on my 1998 Volvo S70 GLT:

i gave the car to a good friend of my dad (mechanic) he sayed that the car needed stearing wheel oil (dont know wat that is), new spark plugs, and new front brakes. he replaced everything.

the car still makes weird noise when the steering wheel is turned all the way to the side (any side), the abs light is still on, and there is this noice everytime my right wheel hits a bump.

i dont think the mechanic did a good job.....

Last edited by Ruskya Mafia; 05-07-2009 at 10:25 PM.
Old 05-08-2009, 06:34 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Sounds like the machanic was just trying to keep your expenses down and just made sure the car was safe to drive and would not leave you stranded on the side of the road. Noises are normal for cars, especially older ones that are taken to their limit no matter what that limit is.

I try not to NEVER steer a car ALL THE WAY to it's left or right, not even a new car. Just puts a strain on the bushings. However, these cars like most front wheel drive cars, have minor front end problems with control arms and bushings wearing out as the miles add up. When you have a 10 year old car you will have to replace things that wear out and break. It works out fine if you can do some things yourself, especially with the resources of a website like this. It sure beats the heck out of making $400 or $600 per month car payments.

Macco is a body repair shop that is a national chain. They do average work and can usually do a better job at painting a car than those budget places that paint cars for $400. Looks like you want to see if they have one in your area, put on some neat clothes, turn your pockets inside out, and go get an estimate from them and two other places to see what it will cost to get the right side of the car fixed. When these cars are clean they look a lot newer than they are. Looks like whom ever side swipped the car may have damaged the front door hinges. Does that door open and close ok?

Old 05-09-2009, 12:44 PM

no it does not work at all. the door does not open even when its not locked, and the mirror does not go down or up

but i talked to that "mechanic" and told him that there are still problems with my car, and i can still hear the noises. so he told me that he'll fix the problem when i get my body totally repaired. as it goes for the body, i used to work with this guy at a body shop, about 2 years ago. it turns out i still have his cell number. so i gave him a call and he said that he is busy right now, but he'll be free in a week. so i sceduled an appointment with him on the 13th. so after i get my body done, hopefully that "mechanic guy" will get the job done after all.

Last edited by Ruskya Mafia; 05-09-2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:29 PM

so here she is, all fixed up, and like new

the body is like new now, but the lock from right door is not really working the way its supposed to. going to have to find one at some junkyard and probably replace it myself. this body work cost me $700 and only 2 days. and he did a good job too. tell me wat you guys think?

Last edited by Ruskya Mafia; 05-17-2009 at 10:35 PM.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Got Boost?
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Awsome!!!! Congrates.

When will you paint it?

Old 05-18-2009, 05:22 PM

probably soon, maybe in 2 or 3 weeks. gotta get the door lock fixed first, and some small problems inside

Old 05-18-2009, 05:53 PM

Nice!

Post pics after its painted

Old 05-18-2009, 06:48 PM

I'd also get another plastic Volvo piece for the right side or buy the European side turn signals.

Awesome job though! Can't wait to see it when it's fully painted!

Old 05-19-2009, 08:56 AM

yea i got the Volvo piece and the side moulding in my car, i just dont want to put it on right now since im going to paint it soon

Old 05-19-2009, 08:36 PM

alright, just took apart the door and took out the lock. as i was saying the door wasnt closing they way it should have. it was only closing on 1 click, but it should have on 2. so i took the lock out (got it out faster than i thought i would) and here are the pics

as u can see the lock is jammed way inside in this picture:

and this is the way it should be:

so i guess now i just need to find some used lock somewhere in a junkyard and replace it

Old 05-20-2009, 02:05 AM
Administrator

Good to see you are making progress. I think your friend did a pretty good job on the body. I will PM you a phone number to a place that I know has the lock (and any other salvage yard parts) you need.

Old 06-21-2009, 11:57 PM

alrighttt...... finally my door is all fixed and like brand new!!!!!!!!!! my front , right wheel was making noises, so i told that to my mechanic. he looked at it and said its some kind of lil rubber between the shock and the frame of the car. so he took of that problem too. now i got state patrol monday, going to get that done tomorow, than it will be the ensurance and elingment. than if ill still have the money, im thinking of painting the car, hopefully the whole car.

oh by the way there is motor oil leaking. mechanic said that its this litle thing between the transmission and the motor. that it needs change. he said the actul part doesnt cost that much, its the proccess of getting to that part. he has to take off the transmission and some other **** to get to it. he also said that i can just try a different oil, maybe that will stop the leaking.

tell me wat u guys think?

Old 06-22-2009, 05:43 PM

good.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:06 AM

Below is my s70 t5 black on black on black. Black: Paint, Rims, Leather, everything pretty much. Going to sand it down and have it repainted in a month or two. The clear coat and the paint is coming off on the top, the hood and the trunk.

Attached Thumbnails 1998 S70 GLT, Black on Black-side.jpg   1998 S70 GLT, Black on Black-front.jpg  
Old 06-23-2009, 01:34 AM

ok... busy day today..... i was on the road for 7 hours today. pretty much all the paper work is done, EVERYTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!....... **** YEAH!!!!! now i got the elignment on wendsday, and going to try to start the painting this week... dont know if i should paint black. probably going to have the same color, so that the frame doesnt sets a part from the body. but defenetly going to tint headlights, taillights, and windows. and if ill get a chance put some DUB's and costum grill

Old 06-23-2009, 06:06 AM
Administrator
Default Exterior Look...

If your budget is tight, paint it the same color. It will not cost much and then start saving for a good black paint job. A good painter will paint the door jams and everything else. You may not even know the car was ever a different color unless you take the carpet up or remove trim from in the trunk, etc.

Also, look at a few black cars and spot one that has a really good black look. Totally black may not look as good as a ride with some other color that sets it off, like a gold pin stripe or some black & red wheels. Some cars look real good 100% black and others do not. Like my neighbor has something that looks like a Crown Vic, it's sick all black.

I would NOT change motor oil weight to try to stop a leak. A different oil weight may cause problems with wear in the motor, turbo, etc.. Just keep the oil topped off until you can get the leak fixed. If you can, try to figure out what caused the leak, like a clogged PVC system or something like that.

Glad to hear that things are progressing forward for you.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:34 PM

thekoopa, that is one sexy black volvo

Old 06-23-2009, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
If your budget is tight, paint it the same color. It will not cost much and then start saving for a good black paint job. A good painter will paint the door jams and everything else. You may not even know the car was ever a different color unless you take the carpet up or remove trim from in the trunk, etc.

Also, look at a few black cars and spot one that has a really good black look. Totally black may not look as good as a ride with some other color that sets it off, like a gold pin stripe or some black & red wheels. Some cars look real good 100% black and others do not. Like my neighbor has something that looks like a Crown Vic, it's sick all black.

I would NOT change motor oil weight to try to stop a leak. A different oil weight may cause problems with wear in the motor, turbo, etc.. Just keep the oil topped off until you can get the leak fixed. If you can, try to figure out what caused the leak, like a clogged PVC system or something like that.

Glad to hear that things are progressing forward for you.
the weird thing about when i got my car there was a really really old oil, hadnt been changed for 10,000 miles or something. for weird reason the oil was not leacking than, but after i changed it to new one than it started leaking

Old 06-24-2009, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Ruskya Mafia
the weird thing about when i got my car there was a really really old oil, hadnt been changed for 10,000 miles or something. for weird reason the oil was not leacking than, but after i changed it to new one than it started leaking
Maybe the old, dirty, thicker oil wasn't viscous enough to penetrate wherever the leak was coming from but the new, clean oil was able to

Just my very novice thought.

Quick Reply: 1998 S70 GLT, Black on Black