Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

2 questions - SRS light/broken A-post

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 06:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 questions - SRS light/broken A-post

Hi! First time posting, just registered.

I have a '99 S70 T5 (love it) and it has roughly 145K miles on it. Evidently the problem that I'm having now is a common one, but I'm not finding a lot of information on the web about it. The driver door started squeaking a lot a couple of months ago, and I found that the joint where the door hinge connects to the A-post was cracked. I sprayed white lithium grease on it to stop the squeaking (very annoying), knowing that I'd ultimately have to get that post re-welded. Now it pops, and the door, as you can imagine, is a little harder to open/close.

I don't want this problem to get any worse. I talked to Autobahn Volvo here in Ft. Worth, TX, and they told me that this happened by the door being "over-extended" at some time, which didn't really make sense as the joint appears to be broken on the "inside", not the "outside" (i.e. it separates inward, not out.) Any comments? They also told me that this would need to be fixed at a body repair shop, which DOES make sense. If I'm semi-proficient at welding, is it tough to get in there to do the work myself?

The other question is a little simpler: in upgrading the factory stereo system I installed a line converter close to the factory amp under the front passenger seat. I had to unbolt the seat to do this, and in not knowing how much space I would need I disconnected the SIPS lead to the seat. This tripped the in-dash SRS light, and I can't clear the trouble condition myself. Any way to do this other than paying Volvo $98 for five minutes worth of work? TIA.

dana

Old 02-06-2005, 09:07 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: 2 questions - SRS light/broken A-post

Yes that is a comon problem im not sure exactly sure what causes it to happen.At the body shop they remove the door completely and parts from inside the car so nothing catches on fire.I myself wouldn't attempt to weld it I would leave it to someone who knows how to weld good.But thats just my opinion.

There is no other way to clear it but the dealer.Some faults on the car clear after so many times of not seeing the fault again.Im not sure if the SRS system does it or not.You can wait a week or so and see what happens.

Old 06-23-2005, 01:12 PM

I recently noticed the same type of squeaking sound when I open the door. I checked and I have a similar problem to what is described above, but it is not the hinges in my case. It is the door stop that keeps the door from overextending and holds it open.[:-]

Old 06-24-2005, 02:06 AM

FYI, I found an independent Volvo repair shop taht was willing to reset the SRS light for essentially a half hour's labor. Try not to begrudge them the charge even though you know it only takes about five minutes of work. Those tools are expensive and the labor that they charge helps them recover the cost of the tool.