Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

am i towing the guy behind me 98 s70 na

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 12:34 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default am i towing the guy behind me 98 s70 na

hi everyone. Its a shot in the dark if i can post enough detail for this to make sense but i will try.

I have had my 98 s70 non turbo for 2 years. it has always bothered me that it seems my old 240 would stomp this car any day of the week. it actually feels like i am towing something. It is not in winter mode i have tested this and it changes into winter and higher gear. I did have issue at one point check engine came on and the winter button started flashing and it had arrow shift up thing blinking for couple days and was stuck in winter then went away and back to normal. either way do you guys with non turbos have that feel or are they pretty peppy. i have a hard time keeping up with minivans who are just eccelerating from a light unless i am floored and it sounds like she is working but just seems so slow for my history with volvos. let me know your input. does your s70 go or blow.

P.S. no check engine or any other lights on right know as it is winter time. for some reason any temps over 50 outside lights up the trac and abs light. no one can figure that one out for me either.

Old 01-23-2010, 09:30 PM

From what I understand they're not fast. I always took that to be a comparison against the turbo models. Have you done a good stage 0 with plugs, wires, cap, rotor, vacuum lines, and cleaning of maf and iac, fuel filter, etc? I try not to just through money at problems but establishing a good base line is important with the maintenance end of things.

Old 01-23-2010, 11:42 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Having driven a couple 240s and other older Volvos... the NA S70 is only slow compared to the Turbo models. It should be more powerful than the 240 and many other cars... it's not high performance, but it should be decent. Like Paulie said- a full "stage 0" is in order. Also, check your brakes- it's entirely possible something is dragging. Then, maybe have someone check out your transmission. What kind of mileage are you getting?

Keep in mind, the GLT (low pressure turbo) only has about 25 more HP than the NA does.

As for the TRACS and ABS lights... you probably need a new ABS module. Basically, solder joints crack in them, and eventually start losing contact. It often starts out as a cold weather/ hot weather thing as the joints expand and contract with temperature changes, but it'll probably eventually go out completely. Do a forum search for "Vic Rocha." He's a guy that rebuilds the ABS modules for cheap, and guarantees them, too.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:03 PM

Dont forget the weight of the s70. That can figure into the sluggishness. Im not saying that 240s are light, because I always likened mine to a WWII tank the the sweedes hacked the top off and put four wheels on.

That being said, if a 240 feels faster than a s70 base then.... volvo failed

Old 02-01-2010, 01:23 AM

thanks for the info. im getting 20 mpg. i was thinking on replacing all mentioned just needed to get the feeling from you guys that this puppy shouldnt be dog slow. i will let you guys know the results