Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Antenna Mast Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2009, 09:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna Mast Replacement

So I just recently purchased my 1998 S70 with a broken antenna mast. I ordered one from ebay and attempted to install last night, but after some blood and a lot of cussing, I gave up.

My problem is that as soon as the nylon track catches on the gear, it gets pulled in about 2 inches and then the motor stops. When I compare the 2 nylon tracks, it appears that the new one might be a hair larger but nothing that I would assume is too large.

Is there something I am missing? Some special technique? Do you think that the part the wrong one for my car? Or maybe is my motor too weak for whatever reason? I am completely lost, but I want to get this hole filled before snow gets here.

Thanks for any help

Old 11-17-2009, 10:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

They never suck in the way the sellers of them say they do. On all of them I've changed, I've ended up taking the unit apart and threading it through partway, then installing it and letting it finish the job on its own. About... you guessed it... 2 inches into the mechanism, there's a place where the cable has to make a sharp turn, and the start of the cable usually just runs into the side instead of going around the "corner." It's at that point you have to help it along manually by opening the antenna gear housing and moving the cable past. Be careful when you open up the antenna... parts easily fall out. Once you see what I'm talking about, though, it's not to hard to do.

Old 11-18-2009, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by Carrots
They never suck in the way the sellers of them say they do. On all of them I've changed, I've ended up taking the unit apart and threading it through partway, then installing it and letting it finish the job on its own. About... you guessed it... 2 inches into the mechanism, there's a place where the cable has to make a sharp turn, and the start of the cable usually just runs into the side instead of going around the "corner." It's at that point you have to help it along manually by opening the antenna gear housing and moving the cable past. Be careful when you open up the antenna... parts easily fall out. Once you see what I'm talking about, though, it's not to hard to do.
Awesome information and it makes complete sense. I assumed either it was getting stuck or that there was still some from the previous antenna in there. Either way, I will be attacking this tomorrow after work.

Old 11-19-2009, 08:07 PM

i had the same problem. the old nylon chain was curved and the new one was straight. i had to take the motor apart and guide the nylon chain through. it helps if you have 2 people

Old 11-19-2009, 11:07 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s70_t5_1999
i had the same problem. the old nylon chain was curved and the new one was straight. i had to take the motor apart and guide the nylon chain through. it helps if you have 2 people
The old chain was straight before it was installed/ left curled up inside the antenna motor for 10 years

But yes... you usually have to take the motor apart to do it because of that first turn inside the motor.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:17 AM

That is what mine ended up being as well. Pretty simple except for removing the motor because I don't have my good set of screwdrivers at my house. Oh well, it is working great now. Thanks for the help.

Old 11-25-2009, 12:41 PM
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Got mine off the bay as well a few years ago.
Fiddled with it for a while until my dad wandered out to the garage. He licked the end, fed it thru, and it caught the first time. Not sure if the saliva really helped but I think they just need patience. I doubt that they tear them apart when new and the idea of placing the mast in during the construction of the motor just doesn't strike me as realistic either.