Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Any model year S70 better than others?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 08:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any model year S70 better than others?

I am buying an S70 for my son as he is about to get his permit. Is there any particular model year I should stay away from, or gravitate towards? If it helps, I will not be getting a turbo model, regardless of high or low pressure. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

Old 03-10-2009, 09:03 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

In my opinion the 98 was the best year.
In 99 they went to an electronic throttle body which had alot of trouble.

Old 03-11-2009, 03:08 PM

I agree with Tech. I own a '98 GLT myself and I hear of all these problems the '99s and '00s have and I think of how mine has yet to show any of those problems. My thought is Volvo quality decreased in '99 and '00 because Ford had just bought them.

The S70 is a great first car (it's my first car...my dad bought me one a year ago when I got my permit as well) and I know I feel safe in it.

Old 03-11-2009, 04:59 PM

OP Here. Thanks Tech and Blaze for the insight. Blaze, sounds like you're in the situtation my teenage son will be soon (as soon as I find a nice S70 for him!), do you have a non-turbo or turbo?

Old 03-11-2009, 05:02 PM
Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

1998 is the best year ever.

Old 03-11-2009, 06:35 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree that the 98 is the best year, but it is essentially an 850 so you might also want to consider the 94-97 850's. Probably a little cheaper to buy and virtually the same car. By the way the S70 GLT in 98 was a Low Pressure Turbo. My V70 is a 98 V70 GLT and it's been a great car. The V70 and S70 are the same car with the V70 being a wagon.

All three of my kids learned to drive on a 94 850 Turbo and now all three of them own Volvo's. Keeping my Grandchildren safe. By the way none of us have ever owned one that is not a Turbo. You may have trouble finding a 97 or 98 that does not have at least the Low Pressure Turbo. The 97 850 GLT had the LPT also, but previous years GLT's did not have a turbo.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:19 PM

Jim- Thanks for commenting. Regardless of whether we're talking about the S70 or 850, does the low pressure turbo provide so little extra power that I shouldn't be concenrned about it for a teen? I remember when turbo's started appearing on cars in the 80's. The power was unreal, something I absolutely do no want! If it only gives a little extra, has the reliability of the low pressure turbo been decent? The issue with both the S70 and 850 is we're talking about a 10-12 year old car......I don't want too much power under the gas pedal and i don't want a problem mechanically. I love to get your thoughts. Thanks! (Perhaps I should have made my name "Nervous dad buying car for first of three sons!)

Old 03-11-2009, 08:37 PM
Default LPT not that much more power...

Hi...

I have a '00 GLT...can't really say much about which year is best. This is the only one I have any experience with and have had no problems. I have the Low Pressure Turbo. In my opinion, it really just makes up for the weight of the car, it doesn't add a lot of "hair on fire" power. It allows a really safe, heavy car perform like one that is not as well built. I would not have qualms about buying for a teen driver, but you'd need to drive it yourself, to be sure.

Old 03-11-2009, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by MasS70
OP Here. Thanks Tech and Blaze for the insight. Blaze, sounds like you're in the situtation my teenage son will be soon (as soon as I find a nice S70 for him!), do you have a non-turbo or turbo?
Yes, I just got my license a couple weeks ago. I have the low-pressure turbo. I understand that young teenage boy often means speed crazy, but if you think your son can handle a turbo responsibly, then definatly get him a GLT. I'd like to consider myself a driver who is not reckless and I can still have fun with the turbo. Keeping the RPM's between 2500 and 3000 when you're taking off from a light or stop sign isn't a reckless rabbit start, but you can still feel a tiny rush of adrenaline. I live in a big city, and I find having a turbo helpful when you don't want to get run over by speeding cars behind you or trying to match Interstate speeds. So yes, it just gives a little extra and not an unreal amount. My GLT comes with plenty of options (i.e. leather interior, wood grain trim, sport tuned suspension, spoiler, fog lights, power locks, power seats with 3-way memory, power sunroof, CD/Cassette/Radio-SC 816, 60/40 split rear folding seats, car alarm, keyless entry, turbocharger, and probably a couple more...) and I will admit, I'm a bit spoiled and has convinced me to be a Volvo loyalist. Wikipedia lists the S70 as an entry-level luxury sedan and I consider it a European sport sedan. To me, this is the perfect car to start out with...but this is a very biased judgement.

I also read another one of your posts, and though I am a teenager myself, I wouldn't consider this turbo too much. It's not like it has the power of the V8's of the old muscle cars with huge blowers. And yes, the turbo has excellent reliability. The only issues I have run into with my car is an EVAP leak and a power antenna that won't fully lower...but the antenna is easy to take care of yourself. I'd definatly by the GLT for a teenager, but not the T5. The GLT has a 2.4L 190 HP engine with low-pressure turbo while the T5 has a 2.3L 235-ish HP engine with a high-pressure turbo.

One last comment for you, I got mine for $5000 and that's about the same price I've heard others get their S70's for.

All in all, being a teenager myself, I'd suggest this car to any and all parents. Not to mention the thing is a tank...

Old 03-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

There is really no difference in reliability on the turbo vs. non-turbo. Personally I just feel the car is too big for the engine if it does not have at least the low pressure turbo. When my daughter bought her 95 850 Turbo wagon (which she is getting ready to sell) she test drove a car in much better shape that was a non-turbo model and she said there is no way she would have bought that car. It was just too slow and she is Mom with two kids.

The non-turbo model has 168 hp, the LPT has 198, the HPT or has 222 and the R models have 244.

I guess I am different than you cause I loved it when my son told me he took his Moms 850 Turbo out and blew the doors off his buddies Mustang. He didn't tell me until about a year later though. My Dad was a fast driver, I am a fast driver and my son is a fast driver. Daughters are not though. They are all very good drivers though.

If I were you I would test drive the different models and then make your choice. Your son will like it but he might really like it if it is a little sportier which is what the Turbo gives you. As you can tell I would never own a non-turbo model. Even my mother in law has the low pressure turbo 01 V70.

Old 03-12-2009, 10:44 AM

"The non-turbo model has 168 hp, the LPT has 198, the HPT or has 222 and the R models have 244."

This information helps immensely! Thank you.

Old 03-12-2009, 11:04 AM

THanks, the hp information is very helpful. One last question: Do you know which model year used which turbo (high vs. low)?

Old 03-12-2009, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

The first year for the LPT was 97, and it was in the GLT model. Previous years had the GLT but they were not turbocharged. You can tell quite a bit from the 6-7 positions of the VIN. For 850's the R will have a 58, the T5 (HPT) will have 57 not sure about the GLT in 97 though. In 98 the numbers were different but still meant the same thing, 55 = non turbo, 53 = HPT and 57 = LPT.

Old 03-12-2009, 05:36 PM

"The non-turbo model has 168 hp, the LPT has 198, the HPT or has 222 and the R models have 244."

This info helps a lot. 168hp for such a large car almost makes it dangerous getting onto some highways in metropoloitan areas. Do you know which years had the LPT vs. HPT? Sorry for all the ?'s, but I tried to do a lot of research online and didn't have much success. The replies in this forum have been invaluable. Thank you for taking time to reply. It's really appreciated!

Old 03-12-2009, 05:48 PM

I'm not quite sure about years...but 97 and on GLT's have LPT's and the T5's and R's have HPT's.

Old 03-12-2009, 06:14 PM

Seems that my 98 S70 GLT does not handle as nice as my 97 850 did. The 850 drove like a truck and seemed rugged. The S70 seems kind of weak. Maybe mine just needs some work haha.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:21 PM

Maybe so, but my car handles better than my mom's Honda Pilot and my dad's Toyota Avalon. The steering is too loose and it just feels like a car. I want to say it just feels plastic...no craftmanship put into it at all. My car feels like its actually a car. Designed well, there's a certain...tightness to everything that I like.

Old 03-12-2009, 07:50 PM

another teenager adding my two cents: i have a 99 s70 with the LPT, and i absolutely love it, much like Blazes70. i also love my car enough that i drive it like a grandma for the most part, but on the rare occasion when i really get into the turbo, i love it. i also feel very safe in my Volvo. i would definitely recommend the LPT

Old 03-12-2009, 10:10 PM

Maybe we teenagers should start being on TV ads for Volvo...:P

I have a friend who says I do not drive like a grandma and that I'm still overly cautious. Turbos are AWESOME!

Hey elcs70, is your black grille the sport mesh grille that ipd sells?

Old 03-13-2009, 08:46 PM

elcs70- I noticed while looking at the pics of your "Whip" that it's AWD. I live in New England and was considering an AWD, but I was told the mpg's really suffer. Do you know what you're getting for mpg's? Also, I know it has a turbo, is it the lpt or hpt? If it's got an lpt and the mpg's don't suffer much, that may be what I get my son. (I got very comfortable with the lpt based on the comments from JimKW!)

Quick Reply: Any model year S70 better than others?