Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Coolant temp gauge a bit conservative

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 03:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant temp gauge a bit conservative

Hi all,

Got an 97 S70 with B2 10 valve engine and auto transmission. Runs perfectly with 270k kilometers of experience. One slight problem though: the coolant temp gauge is misbehaving (and so is the temp in the car). Funny thing is that the temp gauge is not really climbing, even after 30 or more kilometers when engine should be properly warmed up. That is, until I stop the car with engine running, then the temp gauge is climbing to normal values.

Same goes for heat within the car, stays quite cold until stopped, then the warm air starts pouring in... I suspect the problems are related.

Any advice on cause and possible solutions much appreciated!

cheers, Tony

Old 12-16-2010, 10:09 PM

Your thermostat is stuck open, and the car's coolant isn't able to get all the way up to full temperature. This is because the coolant is circulating freely immediately upon start-up, instead of staying in the themostat sealed area to heat fully before circulating to the radiator when temperature/pressure cause the thermostat to open when it should.

Thermostat's cheap, and in and extremely easy location. Near left corner of the engine when you're standing at the front of the vehicle leaning in and looking at the engine. Look for a 2-inch thick black rubber hose running to a curved metal "elbow" with two funky-looking screws holding it on. When you buy the thermostat, ask the guy at the parts store for a set of "Metric Torx Bits."

Do a search for the replacement procedure. It's cheap, easy, and you can brag to your friends about your newfound ability to "wrench your own ****."

Cheers,
LG

Old 12-18-2010, 04:25 AM

Hey LG,

Thanks! Torx bits already in the shed, so nothing in the way of starting to wrench it :-) Will surely give it a try!

cheers, Tony

Old 12-20-2010, 04:54 PM

Thanks again LG (and matthew for the write up of the replacement procedure)!

Bought an OEM t-stat today and put it in within 30 minutes thanks to you guys. New to the satisfaction of 'wrenching your own sh*t', but boy does that feel good Will certainly brag about it to my friends (once the slight trace of spilled coolant due to me being too hasty is off my driveway...).