Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

Help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!!

I am very interested in boosting my 2000 automatic s70, but I've gotten negative feedback from some friends. They say that the s70 has completely different "Rods bearings ecu injectors transmission axles." and that I shouldn't go boost because it's not worth the extra HP. He said I wouldn't be able to go past 5-7 pounds without blowing up. In all honesty 5-7 is fine with my, in fact thats perfect for daily driving. I didn't want a race car, I just wanted to boost my first car. Should I proceed? All I need is a turbo kit, custom fittings, drill and tap oil pan and return, and custom manifold. Not really looking to mess with any engine internals. Can somebody guide me and lost me everything I will need just to simply go boost? Plug and play?

Old 04-22-2015, 10:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

Yeah, it's easy. Here are the steps:

1. Search craigslist for a turbo S70 for sale.
2. Buy one.
3. Sell yours.

Sorry, but adding a turbo is not worth the time and effort. Listen to your friends.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:25 AM
Administrator
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Selling yours and buying one already installed is the easy way to go.
Secondly would be to pick up a totaled turbo that was a side or rear end hit and transfer the parts over.

You do need a different ECM, Wiring harness, intercooler & piping, exhaust manifold, turbo, downpipe (W or W/O cat), coolant and oil hoses for the turbo.
If you check parts I'm pretty sure you'll find the (stock) connecting rods of a turbo are the same as a non-turbo but the exhaust valves are different to handle the higher heat of a turbo.
There are little pieces I haven't listed but if you are going to do the mod they aren't any deal breaker compared to replacing the wiring harness.
There is info here on how to do it but you'll likely be better served over on "Volvospeed" but be prepared for some flack as this is a well worn topic and it's usually asked by high school kids who have no clue.
It has been done, it is possible but it's a lot of work for the limited horsepower gain. Most people putting that kind of effort in will be upgrading components for higher horsepower but the good thing is if you find people who are upgrading you can snag their stock stuff cheap as they don't really consider them to be of much value and the junk yards have a lot of stock Volvo turbos getting parted out.