Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

I am looking at a 1998 Volvo S70 T5.. What should I look for?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 05:53 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question I am looking at a 1998 Volvo S70 T5.. What should I look for?

I found a 1998 Volvo S70 T5 FWD for $3,000. The vehicle has just shy of 100,000 miles. The carfax is clean. What do I need to look for in terms of problems and what issues should I look for while test driving the vehicle. The seller describes the vehicle as follows:

Needs paint and minor dent repair, but overall fair condition. Was keyed. Dents are small. No accidents and no rust damage. Has received all scheduled maintenance via authorized dealer since purchase. Recently completed 90K scheduled maintenance, but needs some mechanical repairs: slight wobble at slow speeds and needs new brake pads. Tires have very little ware. Interior in remarkably good condition. All bells and whistles working. No electrical problems. All-in-all, a very nice car with Volvo reputation for safety and built to last. Manufactured in Sweden. Front wheel drive and winter driving mode perfect for safe handling in cold and snow. Moon roof makes summer driving fun too!
Now I know this seems like a good deal, but I don't know what to look for in terms of problems/issues. I need to know what to look for in terms of specific issues. I realize common issues like an engine that leaks oil or sagging suspension is a NO BUY, but what are things to look for in regards to this specific vehicle?

He has provided me with some photographs.

Thanks for any and all help you can provide me!

Old 10-18-2009, 08:40 PM

Check if the ABS is properly working, i have a same year and my ABS goes on/off. I dont know how you can check it but Id look into that, cause its common problem.

Check the CV Boots and axles, at that mileage, you can see problems.

It isnt a huge fix, CV Boots Kits are about 100$ (part and installed), and if it hasnt been fixed, can lead to axle replacement.

Look at the hoses and everything to do with the turbo, thats your biggest headache.

Transmission alwell.. basically, get the car a thorough inspection so you can rest easy.

Obviously, there will be issues with a 10+yrs car but should be in good shape, its a Volvo

Hope i didnt make an *** of myself

Best of luck

Old 10-20-2009, 08:52 PM

+1

To me, '98 was Volvo's peak year. Thankfully the S70 didn't have significant trans. issues til '99 when they put in the ETM.

Check the vacuum elbows, there's one on the intake manifold that is known for tearing apart.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

If you're going to nix a car because of an oil leak... well... Turbocharged Volvos leak oil. They just do. Not a lot... if the whole engine is wet or something, stay away. But it will probably drip a little bit.

Now, with a car that has just about 100k miles, I would look in to having the PCV system replaced- it's probably getting plugged if it's not already. Check the upper engine mount (torque mount) as they tend to crack. the oil cap seal may also leak- those cost like $5. Other things to watch for are the ball joints, sway bar links, tie rods and upper spring seats. The ABS control module will probably eventually fail, as well- Volvo dealers want over $300 for the part, but you can have it rebuilt for $100 or so. All these things tend to go bad on these cars. None of those are really "walk away" issues, but they ARE bargaining- chip issues (quite frankly, though, $3,000 is a steal on a T-5 with that mileage, even if you have to put a little money into it right away.)

Old 10-22-2009, 11:31 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would buy it. Bottom line.