Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

New old S70 AC problems

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2013, 09:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New old S70 AC problems

I am the proud new owner of a 1999 S70. It was previously one of my jobs company cars that mostly I used so I know a little of its history. Currently it needs the ABS module repaired (why the company got rid of it, kind of a last straw thing), which I plan on sending off to Midwest-ABS since I have seen a lot of positive reviews. It also has a broken antenna mast (other idiot driver took it into a auto car wash with the radio on) and new hinge for the fuel door (yet another idiot driver couldnt find the door release so he literally tore it off the car.) These fixes are all pretty obvious.

The issue I am having with the AC is weird though. I looked through the forums a bit to see if anyone had seen a similar issue and couldnt find one. The AC blows cold (it has had a shim repair on the clutch in the past), but for the last few weeks the blower has been acting strange. The blower only blows hard when you are accelerating, and when you decelerate it stops almost completely. When you are idling or just at speed the fan blows as though it is on the low setting. It seems to be independent of the rpm's because you can rev the motor while sitting still and it has no effect. It seems to be purely based on the g forces currently affecting the car. I am planning on replacing the blower and wanted to see if there were any other ideas out there on things to check in the mean time.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:44 AM

If you got a soldering iron and a dremmel you can repair the ABS module yourself. The only hard part is getting it open which is what the dremmel is for and use a bit of RTV when you put it back together. The AC sound like it has something to do with the blower like you mentioned. The fan is not blowing and the air you feel is just the air going through the system when you are at speed. (makes sense in my head)

Old 07-30-2013, 10:04 AM

I am horrible at soldering and I am fine with having someone do it that has a lot of experience so Im just gonna send it off, but thanks for the advice.

I dont think its an at speed thing, the blower itself is actually changing speeds dependinoon as the car pitches forward the blowing stops almost completely, or as sog on the g forces on the car. If it were just at speed it would be a constant curve as you slowed down, but as son as you accelerate and the car pitches back the fan blows at what feels like full speed, well before you are moving very fast. I may be fooling myself, but I am pretty sure I can hear the fan RPM changing as well which may just be a sign of the bearings wearing out. I was more just curious if anyone had seen it before. I admit its really weird. :P

Old 08-05-2013, 08:54 PM

Turns out it was in fact the blower motor on the AC. Popped a new blower in and the fan runs like a charm. Of course, now suddenly the car is running very rough (not related to the AC I dont think.) I know the O2 sensors need replacing so Im hoping thats all it is and hopefully not the timing belt having slipped. Planning on doing the timing belt anyways but I cant imagine its good if it happens at all.