Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

oxygen sensor, service, tracs help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oxygen sensor, service, tracs help!!!!

hi i have a 1998 s70 t5se. and the oxygen sensor, service and tracs lights are on all the time except on rare occasions when they will turn off for around 2 minutes then come backs on. i have change the oxygen sensor by the engine and the light is still on. the tracs never turn off no matter if i push the tracs button. and the service light is just always there. does anyone have any ideas why this happens and anyways to fix them. and also could the abs module be keeping the tracs light on? its last tune up was around a month ago. thanx

Old 04-08-2011, 04:27 PM

and i also found these directions on how to reset the service light would this work?

Press and hold odometer reset button
Turn ignition switch to Run
After SRL flashes, release odometer reset button
Confirm by turning your Volvo off, then on again

Old 04-10-2011, 03:08 PM

I can talk about the ABS/TRACS. My understanding is that the ABS / Tracs are the same. When the wheel spins, the car uses the brakes to slow that wheel. You can buy the module at IPD or FCP Groton. I did not take this one on myself and paid dealer $$$$$$$$ to diagnose/replace. If the ABS module has failed, you only have regular brakes, not ABS.

Old 04-10-2011, 03:51 PM

thnx for that info . but sumtimes when i am dreiving and i apply the brakes the abs (i believe its the abs) start to work and u hear a deep grinding noise sort of and the pedal starts to like click into place sort of. would i need to change the abs still?

Old 04-10-2011, 04:48 PM

ABS is pretty important-When the ABS engages, it will sound like a miniature jackhammer (not as loud) and the pedal will vibrate. I dont know if the ABS and TRACS are controlled separately in the module or if one can fail and the other work. This is the hard part, something set the error and if you go to Volvo they will charge $700-$900 to replace the module. My local repair shop shyed away from this. If you can reset the code and see if it comes back, that would be best. I've heard you can do a hard reset by disconnecting both battery cables, wait minute, then touch the 2 cables together, then reconnect to battery-be aware you will need to know your radio code and this will most likely reset all codes / information. I know this does not reset SRS and not sure about ABS- May want to check with TECH before doing this

Anyone else have ideas?

Last edited by Tdog; 04-10-2011 at 04:58 PM.
Old 04-10-2011, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by Tdog
ABS is pretty important-When the ABS engages, it will sound like a miniature jackhammer (not as loud) and the pedal will vibrate. I dont know if the ABS and TRACS are controlled separately in the module or if one can fail and the other work. This is the hard part, something set the error and if you go to Volvo they will charge $700-$900 to replace the module. My local repair shop shyed away from this. If you can reset the code and see if it comes back, that would be best. I've heard you can do a hard reset by disconnecting both battery cables, wait minute, then touch the 2 cables together, then reconnect to battery-be aware you will need to know your radio code and this will most likely reset all codes / information. I know this does not reset SRS and not sure about ABS- May want to check with TECH before doing this

Anyone else have ideas?
yes it deos exactly that and it sounds like a jackhammer. but sumtimes it engages when i dont slam on the breaks but when im slowing down to make a turn or at a stop sign. any ideas about the o2 sensor??

Old 04-10-2011, 08:45 PM

You should probably get a code reader as it may help. Mine is a non turbo 98 S70 and also have an XC70(turbo) but when the front and rear sensors where replaced (make sure you use Bosch) and I cleaned the MAF most emission and fuel errors were gone after clearing the codes. Mine also had air pump errors / that I had to replace the pump, relay and check valve to get a clean scan.

I hope this helps

Old 04-10-2011, 09:04 PM

can the code reader also clear the codes aswell? what kind of reader is good and cheap i have no knowledge about code readers.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:20 PM

Hello, I use the equus/innova but unless you get into real high dollar units, I dont think they communicate with ABS/AC/transmission/service light/airbag- mine does not. These will clear most other codes. You should look at IPD but make sure you understand what they will/wont do. Most part stores will do a read for free

Old 04-14-2011, 07:16 AM

Your wheel speed sensor(s) are probably bad. The ABS/ TRACS illumination is common on these cars. ABS module is 350 bucks from FCP for turbo cars....Don't worry so much about clearing codes, worry about fixing the problem! Let us know what happens!

Old 04-14-2011, 07:17 AM

Whatever you do, DO NOT take this car to a "stealership." They'll clean you out with these issues.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by BPATR1CK
Your wheel speed sensor(s) are probably bad. The ABS/ TRACS illumination is common on these cars. ABS module is 350 bucks from FCP for turbo cars....Don't worry so much about clearing codes, worry about fixing the problem! Let us know what happens!
any idea about how i can check if there bad? without getting codes? or would codes be the easiest way?