Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

S70 Trip Computer Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 06:23 AM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default S70 Trip Computer Installation

I just picked up a 1998 S70 GLT - Hurrah!!! It does not have a trip computer. Besides being a geek and an having the internals to analyze everything, I have learned that using a trip computer can help me get better gas milage, when I'm not having fun driving. Does anyone know if the GLT's were pre-wired for a Trip Computer? If so, can I install one that was removed from an 850? Lastly, would it be hard to install (when I say hard I mean will I have to tear out the entire dash or just the instrument cluster - and time)?

Old 03-31-2009, 07:07 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I don't think a 850 one will work.
I think they are prewired.
You will have to find a S70 trip computer and the harness to the switch.

Old 03-31-2009, 07:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.scangauge.com

I highly recommend it! I use it on my Geo Metro to monitor instant fuel mileage, avg fuel mileage, coolant temp, and RPM. You can also scan and clear OBDII codes with it.

Old 04-01-2009, 02:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even though the S70 came prewired, you still needed a software download to coMplete the process. Sadly, it's not cheap.

Old 04-01-2009, 06:28 AM
Administrator
Cool I guess I'll back off the in-dash idea...

I guess the smart thing to do is back off the in-dash idea and look into the scangauge item. I get a little carried away with wanting to do things that look/are original and having them look 100% professional. Things laying around, dangling, wires running everywhere just simply drives me nuts. When I tinted my windows I took all of the sides out. Just easier and cleaner to do them in the kitchen or on my work table in the garage.

I'll post back if curiosity gets the best of me.

Thanks for the input.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:52 AM
Administrator
Default Software Download???

Professor, what do you mean by "software dl"? Are you telling me if I got a Trip Computer that would work with my S70, I would have to go to the dealer and have them install/program the thing to work in the car? How would they do that, through the OBDII port?

Also, does anyone have any ideas on hooking up a ScanGuage to OBD-II port where I can ride around with it? My port is under/in the arm rest. I just don't see how I can have this thing plugged in while driving unless I somehow relocate the port.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by rspi
Professor, what do you mean by "software dl"? Are you telling me if I got a Trip Computer that would work with my S70, I would have to go to the dealer and have them install/program the thing to work in the car? How would they do that, through the OBDII port?

Also, does anyone have any ideas on hooking up a ScanGuage to OBD-II port where I can ride around with it? My port is under/in the arm rest. I just don't see how I can have this thing plugged in while driving unless I somehow relocate the port.
Yes. You need to take it to your dealer and they download the software through your OBD-II port. I have a PDF file somewhere that was sent to me by my local parts department explaining the whole thing. I'll find it and post it here.

They tell me it's priced at $375, but was able to explain the absurdity of charging that much for ten year old software and they said they'd look into asking Volvo if they would be willing to drop the price just last week.

I'm not holding my breath, but it would be nice to have that in my car.

It would be advantagous for Volvo to sell things like this more inexpensively. I mean, it's not like there is a large market for trip computers on ten year old cars. Drop the price to $100, they'd sell a bunch more, sell more info switches, and help the dealers by sending them customers for the installations.

Oh well.

Last edited by professor talksalot; 04-05-2009 at 06:42 PM.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:53 PM
Administrator

The 98 Model year will not accept software do be downloaded into it.
But I think they need to use the hand held to turn the function on.
Only the 99 and newer cars will accept software.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:21 PM

I see. Thanks for clarifying!

I guess I didnt understand the PDF. It must be on my work computer, cause I can't find it anywhere here.

So, the part number they sent me with the price was merely just a "turning on" of the info computer? That's an expensive button push, sheesh.

Thanks for the information. That allows me to negotiate this deal with them that much more.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:22 PM
Administrator

They still might try to tell you that is is software but it is not.

Old 04-05-2009, 08:24 PM

Thanks!

Old 04-05-2009, 08:27 PM
Administrator

Your welcome.

Old 04-05-2009, 10:02 PM
Administrator
Default The 850 Trip computer...

The 850 Trip Computer definitely will NOT work. I tried to go behind the dash today to replace a light bulb (the one on the right side of the cluster) and seen that the cluster is encased and does not have a place where someone could pull the clock/tem unit and install a trip computer back there.

I also could not reach the bulb I was trying to replace. I fooled around with it for about 1 hours and gave up. The knee protector thing was hard to get out. It also seems that all the accessories are pre-wired. Just need the item installed and the switch.

I will just go with the ScanGauge.com item. Might get it through iPD since I like getting things through them.

If anyone knows a better way to replace that far right light bulb in the instrument cluster please let me know.

Old 04-05-2009, 11:26 PM

The 850 Trip Computer definitely will NOT work. I tried to go behind the dash today to replace a light bulb (the one on the right side of the cluster) and seen that the cluster is encased and does not have a place where someone could pull the clock/tem unit and install a trip computer back there.

I also could not reach the bulb I was trying to replace. I fooled around with it for about 1 hours and gave up. The knee protector thing was hard to get out. It also seems that all the accessories are pre-wired. Just need the item installed and the switch.

I will just go with the ScanGauge.com item. Might get it through iPD since I like getting things through them.

If anyone knows a better way to replace that far right light bulb in the instrument cluster please let me know.
i don't think you would be putting a new display in. look with a flashlight or in the sunlight and see if you have things like MPH∅, MPG, MPG∅ on the left, and TEMP, MILES, and MILES-0. if you do, then you already have the right LCD display in the cluster. if not, maybe you do need another one.

i guess you could use an 850 info switch, but that might look odd in an s70

all you would need is the info switch and the so-called dealer "programming"

and the bulb you are looking for, is it in the cluster?

Old 04-06-2009, 06:56 AM
Administrator
Default It is there...

Wow! With a flash light I can see those Trip Computer indicators. So there is no need to install another display cluster. However, I seen no signs as to where I would plug a switch into. Maybe there is some other place it connects because it is not on the back of the display like the 850 trip display. And as far as I could tell, there is not much difference in the looks of the "INFO" switch. That being said, there must be some other computer box thing somewhere for this feature (trip computer), why else would Volvo not activate it???

Now the light bulb that needs to be replaced is on the right side of the rpm gauge. I really could not even see it from under the dash. I was able to reach about 5 inches from it with the knee booster lowered. That may be a dark spot on my dash for a long time.

Old 04-06-2009, 06:49 PM
Administrator

Pull the blank switch covers out. The info switch wires are in a Yellow plug.

Old 04-06-2009, 09:02 PM

Now the light bulb that needs to be replaced is on the right side of the rpm gauge. I really could not even see it from under the dash. I was able to reach about 5 inches from it with the knee booster lowered. That may be a dark spot on my dash for a long time.
sounds like a pain. i had to replace the bulbs on all of my switches (except info) when i first got the car. those weren't too bad though

Old 04-07-2009, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by tech
Pull the blank switch covers out. The info switch wires are in a Yellow plug.
If I connect an INFO switch to the plug, it will not activate the trip computer... will it?

Old 04-07-2009, 08:01 PM
Administrator

No the function needs to be turned on.

Old 04-09-2009, 12:27 PM

I found them! These are the documents sent to me by my old Volvo dealership in Missouri. They were pdf files, but I didn't know how to link pdf, so I converted them to png image files.

While it doesn't explain the process for the '98 specifically (like Tech said, it must be turned on, not download software) it at least gives us a reference for future part numbers on the '99 and '00 as well as other models. While it doesn't have pricing, I can assure you - it's not cheap.

The pictures are a little small and at my work computer I don't know of a way to resize an image. To compensate that, I also converted the PDF to text for you to read.

Enjoy.

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=ddtnvjbv_0hng8ktg4

Attached Thumbnails S70 Trip Computer Installation-spt-19-2001-02-27_0001.jpg   S70 Trip Computer Installation-spt-19-2001-02-27_0002.jpg   S70 Trip Computer Installation-spt-19-2001-02-27_0003.jpg  

Quick Reply: S70 Trip Computer Installation