Volvo S70 Made from 1998 to 2000, this sporty model replaced the 850 sedan and instantly became a hit.

S80 T6 motor swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S80 T6 motor swap

What do you think? I have a 2003 S80 T6 with the twin turbo motor that someone stole and stripped the interior but was nice enough to leave me the ecu and motor/tranny. basically they took the seats and radio and the airbags and left me the rest. Now with a whole donor car and an insurance check I am at a standstill. The S70 is slow as **** and I would love to do this swap. I have my garage and all my tools and a bunch of brainiac freinds I can call on that can help me if needed. I am not afraid at all to do this Im sure modifiing the engine cradle, mounts, axles, exhaust etc is going to be a PITA but if I can produce a TT S70 who cares right? Ive got a couple hotrods under my belt and 2 minitrucks 1 of which was on the cover of minitruckin so I do have some knowledge of cutting up a car and making it work. Let me know what you guys think.Should I sell the S80 on ebay for parts or should I go for it. Just looking for some outside opinions. Thanks in advance.
Matt

Old 02-17-2008, 12:29 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Default RE: S80 T6 motor swap

Personally it would be cool. But...

I would rather get a turboed s70 and mod it from there.

Old 02-17-2008, 05:07 PM

Well im pretty sure that by the end of next weekend Im going to pull what I need off the T6 and get this going.... im not sure how hard of a speedbump im going to hit but once the first cut is made Ill let you know, but please let me know if you got any suggestions

Old 02-17-2008, 07:06 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Matt,
Sounds like a cool project. Be sure to document the process and post some pictures.
Good luck with everything.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:10 PM

Well one ofthe other things im thinking is, the S70 only has 85,000 on it. Although its non turbo Its still a great running car, Its not my daily driver but id hate to get knee deep in a **** sandwitch and lose 2 volvos cause I got burned out on it or its way more work than I thought. Dont get me wrong I fully understand the depths of what I am trying to do here I know im not just gonna "swap" the T6 into my S70 with some bolts and some welding but there is always a speedbump and Id hate to lose a good running car cause I had a really good idea but just couldnt finish it. So I have a list here of the things that I think I need to start with, please feel free to add to my list with any of your suggestions. Ok so I have the car... 03 S80, I have the tools, a good brain pool of freinds. I was going to start with...

1- pull the motor and trans including axles and ECU out of the S80

2- pull engine cradle from the S80

3- Hopefully I can use the rad, condenser, intercoolers from the S80 and hope they fit in my smaller s70

4-one of my major concerns is the Tracs and abs functioning properly as well as the SRS, my S80 had curtains my S70 does not

5- the relay box all the instruments and acsessories, I have a very good feeling I may be chasing wires

Im sure there is alot more that I forgot please give me all your input no matter what it is Im gonna head out into the garage to make a list and take some pix. Again please all input would be great. thanks again guys
Matt

Old 02-17-2008, 10:45 PM

lol, put some big gt35r turbo's on it haha, its gunna be a sick ride, should defenitly make a eurosport magazine if you do it right and do it up. lots of carbon fiber, convert it to AWD while your at it lol

Old 02-18-2008, 09:29 AM

OK so last night I went over with a freind what may pose some issues here...Looks like running an exhaust on the S70 for the T6 is going to be a challenge, when it comes to the ECU I think I have this idea that Im going to plug it in and its going to run, but its becomming more clear now that this may not be the case. I think im going to run into a issue with axles, I have a freind that makes custom driveshafts that will make me a set of axles with S80 inners and s70 outers if I need to, The dashboard may need to come out whic I havent even looked into that yet. So if any of you Volvo techs out there are reading this post your thoughts and concerns, And as for making it all wheel drive... thats not going to happen I think I got enough on my plate as it is hahaha but good idea tho. Plus the T6 is such a tourque monster id rather leave it FWD so I can just haze the tires off for that unsuspecting ricer thats farting at me at a red lightLata
Matty

Old 02-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

The S80 is a totally different breed.
The ECU is netwroked into the rest of the car.(That will cause a major problem when switched to the S70)
Im not really sure the engine will even fit into the engine compartment. Have you tried pulling the engine on a S70 or 850 yet?
It is close all the way. You will be adding another cylinder plus another tranny which is wider.
You might be able to use the S70 tranny it might bolt up the 6 and 5 cylinder pretty much use the same block.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:54 AM

What about trying to piece meal the s80 back together? I've seen people drivin' around on 5 gallon buckets until they could get their interiors back together, why not you? I suppose it depends on the extent of the thievery, but it seems to me like a running driving new s80 should be put back together, not torn farther apart. What about buying a smashed s80 with a good looking interior? Just a thought..

Old 02-19-2008, 08:13 AM

Ya i was thinking about rebuilding it but because it was stolen it has a salvage title and I have to jump through alot of hoops to get it inspected in Boston, its a big pain trust me. There are a few people outside of this website that are telling me it CANT be done,The motor is too big etc.these are the same guys that 3 years ago when I put a turbo on my 93 Cobra they also told me that could not be done. So as of now Im sort of up in the air with it, I think Im going to get all my ducks in a row and figure it out. If I decide against it Im going to post the S80 in the classifieds on this site. As of now I dont have much time due to work (Corrections Officer) seems like every one is quitting which leaves me there to work their shift alot of times. But I have a vacation comming up in about a month, and if its going to happen its going to happen at that time. Thanks again guys, keep the comments comming I am taking them all into concideration.
Matt

Old 03-19-2008, 07:32 PM

Ok so anyone want to lend some help here????? I got the T6 in, it runs for about 10-15 seconds then it shuts down, I dont mean it sputters then dies like its starving for fuel, I mean it just dies.I cant hear the fuel pump while the car is running because I dont have the exhaust done yet so im running an open header and its lounder than **** but I think Ican hear it prime when I turn it to acc. Do you think that just by me running it without the exhaust would make the ECU freak out and shut it down, or do you think its somthing else? Its kind of acting like a dirty throttle body but it ran Mint before I pulled it out so Im not sure. Also im using the S80s ignition as well as the switch and the key, do you think the security part of the ecu is confused or what? Im just fishing for some ideas here so feel free to ask me any questions and lend any and all input. Ill be on and off this site for the majority of the night, Ill be in and out of the garage checking on here for responses. Thanks guys
Matt

Old 03-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Administrator

Yes it might be the immoblizer cutting it off.
Do you have a fuel pressure guage you can install?
How did you squeeze it in there?
Pics????
Try to figure out what you are loosing when it cuts off.
It would have to be fuel,ignition, or injector pulse.
how did you tie the wiring harnesses together?

Old 03-19-2008, 09:45 PM

Hey Tech
I have a FP gauge around here somewhere that I used for my Foxbody when I did the turbo but that was so long ago I have no clue where it is, but Illl lookfor it tonight and put the word out that I need one and have a buddy bring it over next time they come over. Im not gonna lie to you... it wasnt that bad getting it in there, if your are at all mechanically inclined and know how to weld/ metal fab,its not too bad. I had to cut out a piece of the Passengers side strut tower, hammer and dolly a new piece of metal to weld back into it that had a curve so the back of the T6 (where the timing cover is) would fit so If I ever had to service the belt (or anything else for that matter) it is user freindly..... to a point. And I am using the S70 trans but I had my freind make me a set of custom shafts with S80 inners and S70 outers which arent even in yet so stay tuned, as im still not sure how the S70 trans module is going to react to the +1 cylinder and +2 turbos [sm=helpout.gif]. As far as pix go... Im working on it, I need a new digi, trust me I really want to give you some I.E of what im doing here so if I run into anything you can actually see what Im talking about, but going to Circuit City and buying a new camera hasnt really been at the top of my "to do" list in the past month or so and Im sure you can all reason with me on that. So its now 10:45 and im going to run back downstairs to the garage and continue to stew over my car ill be back every so often. Wish me luck
Matt

Old 03-19-2008, 10:12 PM
Administrator

WOW I can't wait to see pics!!!
Hopefully we can get it figured out soon.
I will help the best I can from here.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:12 AM

[:@]AAAAAAHHHHGGGG Im so pissed right now..... I have a huge fuel issue, its not getting any fuel after like 15 seconds, im going to try a regulator and if that doesnt work im going to have to use a fuel cell I think with a warlboro fuel pump. Soooooooo its 9 am and I gotta drive to a import speed shop on the other side of Boston (ya no traffic right) and get the regulator and the pump, i still have the old 12 gal. cell from the cobra im going to use so thats good news. Stay tuned.....
Matt

Old 03-20-2008, 07:19 PM

Have you tried to just bypass the relay and jump it to energize the fuel pump all the time? becuase if it is the immobilizer cutting the fuel pump voltage, so try that and see if it runs longer! thats an amazing swap! I would love for someone to get it down so it can be a more user friendly swap. Would the s80 trans not fit???? i think they have a gm trans, if so it may wor better for clearance, becasue most of their automatics have the bulk of the transmission towards the backside of the engine, and the portion to the side is just a drive chain and the valvebody might be more durable, but definetly mods for the gm trans are more avaliable.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:53 PM
Administrator

I might say an immoblizer issue.
But if you are still using most of the S70 wiring it should go.

Old 03-20-2008, 08:53 PM

I did not try to jump the relay, I did however think of that althoughim about 98% sure its the pump/fuel delivery, which I need to address at some point anyway so I might as well do it right while I have it all apart, I have a week waiting time for the pump and the new lines anyway, so lets talk trannys. You asked if the S80s trans would fit, to be honest I really am not too sure about that. If you were here in my garage and you looked at the both of them side by side, the S80s is a bit larger but I went with my gut which told me that the S80s trans is prob a bit more advanced with the updated tracs and vehicle stability, ABS and all the blah blah blah thats tied in with the tranny in an S80 that is probably wayyyyyyyyy beyond my realm of imagination. So my gut said try it with the s70 trans and if it works, sweet if not....cry. Thats the next thing on my list make it move. Make it run was the first thing, I think I got about halfwaythrough that and got laughed right out of my own garage by a car. So anyway its Thursday night and I have to go back to work Monday which means I have to get out of gearhead mode soonand back intoPrison mode, if my mind is on fuel pumps and driveshafts, and not on my job I just may find myself on the wrong end of a sharpened toothbrush....(im not kidding)so I have to organize the garage , clean up and gather some thoughts because it looks like she might put up a little fight before this is all over. Take care guys and I welcome all comments/suggestions as always. Ill be on tomarrow so Ill respond at that time. Thanks again
Matt

Old 03-20-2008, 09:20 PM
Administrator

I would still like to know exactly how you tied both harnesses together?

Old 03-29-2008, 05:58 PM

Techdo you have a wire schematic for the harness that is behind the dash of the S70? The big one,I assume you work for volvo, is there any way you can scan it or somehow email it to me? Also I need new S80 motor mountsand transcrossmember if anyone knows where to get them just shoot me the link.
Matt

Quick Reply: S80 T6 motor swap