Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S70 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s70-33/)
-   -   Speemoter Sensor location (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s70-33/speemoter-sensor-location-27319/)

garciarc 02-06-2009 02:43 PM

Speedometer Sensor location

Our 98 S70 Speedometer is intermittent. We had the system flushed and filled, but it didn't help. I was told that I should remove and clean the Speemoter Sensor. But I have no idea where it is located. Help would be greatly appreciated.

T3AMVOLVO720 02-06-2009 04:51 PM

try this?

for my 1996 854T is located right behind the brake rotor
your going to have to take the wheel off and the only wires running to the back of the rotor is the speed sensor
other than that theres your brake lines
there are two of them
if not i would think the other place on volvo would deff be the transmission try it out
good luck.

garciarc 02-06-2009 06:57 PM

I forgot to mention that, I pulled and cleaned all four of those speed sensors. They were pretty nasty. However the surfaces that the sensors (Rotors) were sensing, were pretty clean. Is there not a speedometer sensor that mounts to the trany?

tech 02-07-2009 10:03 AM

The ABS module controls the speedometer. The ABS module might be bad.

T3AMVOLVO720 02-07-2009 11:55 AM

would that be the same for a 850T?
i keep looking and only found two spots the tranny and the rotor area
checked em both and they clean
i just dropped a new motor in and it stopped working
it was working fine before the car was under construction for5 months and now the speedometer doesnt work still havent figured it out yet

tech 02-07-2009 12:18 PM

Yes it would be the same. Is the ABS light on?

garciarc 02-07-2009 08:14 PM

Hey tech, That's what I'm suspecting. Removing it and sending it off to be fixed wouldn't be a problem for me. And I've read through alot of the other Speedometer problem threads. Most of those threads also have ABS Light on, Up arrow flashing, & CEL codes. And in almost all those cases, the ABS module fixed the problems. Our car isn't experiencing any of those other problems, other than the intermittent Speedometer. Thoughts?

tech 02-07-2009 09:31 PM

Still possible the ABS module.
I have not seen anything else really that stops the speedo from working.

garciarc 02-08-2009 11:36 AM

Yesterday, I disconnected the ABS module, and plug it back in. Just to see if maybe there might be some corossion on the contacsts that might be creating poor contact. So far the Speedo is working. If it quits working again, I will go purchase some contact spray cleaner. And if it fails again, I will most defenitly remove the ABS module and send out for repair. At least now I see a silver lining on the horizon. Thanks for your help.

tech 02-08-2009 11:57 AM

Your welcome.

T3AMVOLVO720 02-08-2009 03:10 PM

Yes the abs light was on but i found the wires ive been looking for i had a shop do my second motor but they cut some wires so thats why im doing the third engine but i had another thread about the color of wires for the speed sensor and i finnally found them i had to go to a junk yard and follow the wires to the harnes
but im hopin that will shut the ABS and Tranny Flashing Light and make the speedometer work again i get my new head tomorrow from the shop so we will see shes got 0 miles

jianiinc 05-17-2009 11:06 AM

tech, garciarc, I have a 92 940turbo with a speedo and odometer that are out but the rest of the gauges work fine. Where is the ABS connection I want to see if possibly that is why my speedo isnt working.

tech 05-18-2009 09:10 PM

You sensor is in the rear Diff. cover.

Volvo4Life70 05-24-2009 06:36 AM

I have a 98 s70 glt, but my friend has a 96 850 that was having the same problem, so I removed the abs mudule and opened it(be carefuul when cutting open) I found that most of th pin solders to the bourd were cracked, so I soldered them. Now everything works and the abs light cleared on its owm as soon as you drive.