Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

03 S80 128k, what to check?

Old 08-02-2009, 10:05 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 S80 128k, what to check?

I just bought an 03 t6 for under $6k, well under book. Seems like a nice car. I haven't driven it much yet but I have noticed some things that have caught my attention compared to my old 94 Dodge Dakota.

a) Seems to lean on curves on the highway. Is the suspension that soft or does it need work?

b)If I rev the engine then let off quickly there's a muffled boom underneath the car. My guess is that it's backpressure from the exhaust.

c) How can I tell if the turbos are working?

d) It has regular oil in it now...should I switch to synthetic?

e) I have no idea what maintenance has been done...the dealer is required to fix anything with the tranny or engine for 30 days after the sale. They had it inspected but don't how WHAT they inspected. Should I take it to Volvo dealer and ask them to look at the timing belt or anything else?

Thanks so much,

renix

Old 08-02-2009, 10:27 AM

Do you have service records? T-belt should have been done around 105k (at least that is the case for my 02). There is some body roll in these cars, I am told the best fix is IPD sway bars. I do not think the body roll is bad enough to notice so I suspect your shocks and or springs may be worn. I am not sure which trans the 03s have, but I would consider dropping the pan, changing the filter and doing a drain and fill on it. I think the 02s and later hold up better than the early years.

Good luck.

Old 08-02-2009, 11:12 AM
Default susp. problem

Hey , I just got a 2000 s80 t6 with 140 k miles I did notice that the car was making a clunk noise when I turn the wheel to the left , the dealer told me that the prevs. owner just put in new struts in the fron now I wonder if I should take the car for a alinment ?

Old 08-03-2009, 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by renix
I just bought an 03 t6 for under $6k, well under book. Seems like a nice car. I haven't driven it much yet but I have noticed some things that have caught my attention compared to my old 94 Dodge Dakota.

a) Seems to lean on curves on the highway. Is the suspension that soft or does it need work?

b)If I rev the engine then let off quickly there's a muffled boom underneath the car. My guess is that it's backpressure from the exhaust.

c) How can I tell if the turbos are working?

d) It has regular oil in it now...should I switch to synthetic?

e) I have no idea what maintenance has been done...the dealer is required to fix anything with the tranny or engine for 30 days after the sale. They had it inspected but don't how WHAT they inspected. Should I take it to Volvo dealer and ask them to look at the timing belt or anything else?

Thanks so much,

renix
Your struts are likley bad at that high of mileage. Like it was stated, check to make sure that the t-belt has been replaced. At a 120k, plugs should have been repalced and the pollen filter as well. I wouldt worry about that noise to much. As far as the turbos go, does it still feel like the car is making power 2000rpm and above. These turbos hold up well as long as the oil has been repalced when it needs to be.

Originally Posted by rujemire
Hey , I just got a 2000 s80 t6 with 140 k miles I did notice that the car was making a clunk noise when I turn the wheel to the left , the dealer told me that the prevs. owner just put in new struts in the fron now I wonder if I should take the car for a alinment ?
You may have some worn out lower a-arm bushings are bad inner tie rod. Take it to a shop ( should be familiar with volvos ) and have them do a inspection on it. If you just bought the car, i would recomend to do a alignment anyways, you never no what goes on with some shops

Old 08-06-2009, 04:54 PM

The Volvo mechanic said the control arm bushings were cracked, and the stabilizer bar link was loose. The dealer I bought it from fluffed it off as them trying to make money. It also looks like the tires are rubbing the inside of the wheel well. Not sure if that's related but I can see wear on the tire and on the wheel well.

Also, I have a problem with the transmission hitting hard when accelerating, specifically when I put it in Geartronic and hit the gas from 1st when going 10mph or so. It has also done it in regular Drive, but it's not as easy to get it to do it. The dealer denies anything is wrong. The Volvo place (not where I bought it) said the trans. fluid was dirty, but the dealer said they just wanted my money...not sure where to go from here.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:46 PM

your s80 should not sway, i take mine into 25mph ramps at close to 60 with all grip. I agree, check timing belt, you actually pull the cover off and see if it's old, flush the tranny and drive it, that was a good price if tranny is ok

Old 08-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Thumbs up clunk

Originally Posted by rujemire
Hi there..sorry to hear about the clunk sound.I hope it's not like my old car but I spend thousands to fix the clunk..new tires,new shocks,new cv joints,new rotors and pads...and than I found out it's none of the above...it was the rack & pinion which is very expansive...hope that's not your case...good luck