Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

2001 S80 Tranny Fluid Change Final Answers

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I think that only applies to power flushing and the whole issue is debatable in itself. Mine has 107,000 miles and I am planning on flushing mine with synthetic this spring.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:47 PM
Banned

I've been doing a lot of research on this topic and I think the filter and power flush issues are related. If you're not going to change the filter then DO NOT power flush. If you do change the filter then there's really no harm IMHO, but it's kind of a waste of money since you're going to drop the pan and replace all the fluid anyways.

That's my analysis FWIW.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

do you all know how many qt's of tranny fluid the GM 4 speed takes? How much will I need to bleed the tranny and replace it all with fresh fluid using the method discussed on IPD's website, draim 2 or 3 qts, top up, drain etc..

Old 04-05-2009, 08:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sorry to trouble everyone, but I am finally planning on doing my tranny drain and replace, I dont know how many qt's of ATF I will need though.
I dont mind spending the extra for synthetic ATF as an insurance policy of sorts, but what do you think? I'm thinking either Royal Purple, Red Line or Amsoil. Any experience with either or any advice?
I know some people say its overkill and not needed, but I much rather do this than replace a tranny later on down the road..

thanks

Last edited by nicolaselias; 04-05-2009 at 08:35 AM.
Old 04-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Default Tranny fluid

My research has shown that original was Dexron X. X being the version of Dexron which was available when your can was manufactured. The latest is Dexron VI which I understand to be synthetic. Dexron III, which was the last version before VI, is still available and is not synthetic or at least not as far as I can determine at least not 100% which I guess VI is....
Here is a link regarding it: http://www.imakenews.com/lng/e_artic....cfm?x=b11,0,w

Note GM says that it is backward compatible, it is ok to use it in place of what was originally used. Presumably since yours is a GM transmission, GM should know if it would have any negative effects on seals, adhesives, etc. used in the transmission.

I have been told it is not necessary to replace the filter. Don't know the reasoning behind this but heard it from Dealer mechanics as well as independent mechanics.

I had my fluid 'flushed' using a 'proper' flushing machine. When using such a machine all or almost all the old fluid is removed including what is in the torque converter. If you just do a drain and filter replacement and refill, the old fluid in the converter does not get replaced and you just end up contaminating the new fluid with the old. It did however take about 14 litres if I recall. i.e. more than the capacity of the system. Main thing is to be sure to that you don't under or overfill the tranny.

Here is a link to someone who has done the service including filter change.
http://volvospeed.com/Repair/s80_transmission.html
He seems to recommend just dropping the pan and doing a drain and filter replacement. i.e. says this gives less 'shock' to the tranny. Seems to recommend this particularly if the tranny is old and has never had a flush before....

And here is a link to a transmission shop guy, notice the "The myths of the Deadly Trans Flush" part at the bottom of the page
http://www.tripleedgeperformance.com...ssion_Info.php

I used 'regular' Dexron III i.e. not Dexron VI . I did it at about 100,000 miles and if I get to say 150,000 miles I will likely do it again and probably used the Dexron VI.
Am nearly at 114,000 miles now and no problems so far, 'knock on wood'. Mine is a 1999 S80 T6
Use full synthetic Mobil 1 for the engine. Don't really have to add between oil changes every 7500 miles but I do top it up to keep it at or near the full mark although I don't think it would make it to the 'add' mark if I didn't. Figure the more oil volume in the engine, the easier to keep it a bit cooler.

Found on-line owners manual for your vehicle and it lists the following for tranny fluid:
Automatic transmission fluid
Geartronic: ATF DexronŽ III.
Here is the link to the manual in case you don't have it: http://new.volvocars.com/ownersdocs/...0/01s80_09.htm

Last edited by dcarlson12; 04-08-2009 at 03:24 PM.