Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

2008 Volvo S80 both front headlights

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2023, 03:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Volvo S80 both front headlights

Hi everyone. I just bought a 2008 Volvo s80 from an auction and i need both front headlights for it. Would anybody get know where I can find some for cheap. Also what type of maintenance should I look to do on it. It has 100,000 miles on it. I am willing to service it myself to save money. I am noob with Volvo so anything helps.

Old 02-28-2023, 03:14 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Because you likely do not know anything about the vehicle and it's past maintenance routine, get your self a copy of the 2008 S80 drivers manual especially the maintenance/service portion. Then start at the beginning and perform every item listed. Some will be easy such as change the oil, check tire pressures. The other items are all listed in the book such as: change brake fluid, change engine coolant, check accessory belt, change idler pulley and so on and so on until you reach the 100,000 mile mark. Get the alignment checked by some one who has a modern new high tech alignment machine like the Hunter Hawk Eye Elite of similar machine. These modern machines can perform an excellent alignment even if you have a bent rim. Replace the parts that the alignment technician tells you are past their service life. By the time your finished you'll likely spend $600 or more just on parts.
Never buy cheap tires or cheap parts. Good luck, the S-80 is a great car.

About the lights, do you mean bulbs or the whole assembly?
What light option do you have HID or Halogen.
Check Rock Auto

Old 03-01-2023, 01:22 PM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

what kind of headlights - halogen or HD? Are you looking to replace just the buckets because they are missing or broken or due to foggy lenses? Last time I had a broken bucket I simply found an aftermarket replacement on eBay/Amazon. Foggy lenses can be cleaned up using a polish kit - check Youtube for some vids/tips.

As to maintenance items, the first question is which engine. If its an I5, timing belt age is number one. If its the 6, it has a timing chain so no worries but you may want to do the serpentine belt. For the timing belt, the interval is 10 years /120K miles whichever comes first. If you don't know and there's nothing on the engine to suggest when done last, its a smart $600 investment. If you do the timing belt, water pump is optional but if you decide to do the pump, go with genuine or a high quality OEM part.

After that, I'd freshen all the fluids if there are no records when last done. Brake fluid every 2 years, power steering, anti-freeze every 5, transmission (drain fill) every 100K (some suggest 50K so again if no records, do a series of drain/fills (flushing is overkill and risks complications if the lines done come off easily).

I'd also invest in a professional inspection (unless you are a skilled mechanic and can get under the car) - check axle boots, any fluid leaks under the car and in the engine bay oil, coolant, ps fluid etc, rust, worn suspension bushings/engine mounts etc (ie anything rubber). Do a test drive to listen for clunks, whining, brake noises and go from there. You may also want to have a full OBD scan done with a reader that can see all codes from all systems not just check engine codes.

Last thing I'd do is a general clean/lube of things like the door latches, pins, hood release, trunk release etc.

The following users liked this post:
PeterMetaxas (03-01-2023)
Old 03-04-2023, 06:15 PM
Default Thanks

Originally Posted by PeterMetaxas
Because you likely do not know anything about the vehicle and it's past maintenance routine, get your self a copy of the 2008 S80 drivers manual especially the maintenance/service portion. Then start at the beginning and perform every item listed. Some will be easy such as change the oil, check tire pressures. The other items are all listed in the book such as: change brake fluid, change engine coolant, check accessory belt, change idler pulley and so on and so on until you reach the 100,000 mile mark. Get the alignment checked by some one who has a modern new high tech alignment machine like the Hunter Hawk Eye Elite of similar machine. These modern machines can perform an excellent alignment even if you have a bent rim. Replace the parts that the alignment technician tells you are past their service life. By the time your finished you'll likely spend $600 or more just on parts.
Never buy cheap tires or cheap parts. Good luck, the S-80 is a great car.

About the lights, do you mean bulbs or the whole assembly?
What light option do you have HID or Halogen.
Check Rock Auto
thank you for this information. I will definitely look at doing the maintenance. The question about the lights though was that I needed the entire headlight assembly, but I found some for cheap near me. The car had both headlight assembly's missing.

Old 03-04-2023, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by mt6127
what kind of headlights - halogen or HD? Are you looking to replace just the buckets because they are missing or broken or due to foggy lenses? Last time I had a broken bucket I simply found an aftermarket replacement on eBay/Amazon. Foggy lenses can be cleaned up using a polish kit - check Youtube for some vids/tips.

As to maintenance items, the first question is which engine. If its an I5, timing belt age is number one. If its the 6, it has a timing chain so no worries but you may want to do the serpentine belt. For the timing belt, the interval is 10 years /120K miles whichever comes first. If you don't know and there's nothing on the engine to suggest when done last, its a smart $600 investment. If you do the timing belt, water pump is optional but if you decide to do the pump, go with genuine or a high quality OEM part.

After that, I'd freshen all the fluids if there are no records when last done. Brake fluid every 2 years, power steering, anti-freeze every 5, transmission (drain fill) every 100K (some suggest 50K so again if no records, do a series of drain/fills (flushing is overkill and risks complications if the lines done come off easily).

I'd also invest in a professional inspection (unless you are a skilled mechanic and can get under the car) - check axle boots, any fluid leaks under the car and in the engine bay oil, coolant, ps fluid etc, rust, worn suspension bushings/engine mounts etc (ie anything rubber). Do a test drive to listen for clunks, whining, brake noises and go from there. You may also want to have a full OBD scan done with a reader that can see all codes from all systems not just check engine codes.

Last thing I'd do is a general clean/lube of things like the door latches, pins, hood release, trunk release etc.
thank you for informing me. I have the 6 cylinder engine. I will definitely look to get that maintenance done. The question about the headlights tho, I no linger need help on that. I had just needed both front headlight assemblies. But i found some for cheap around me in a junkyard. Thank you!

Old 03-06-2023, 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by slipchankla
Hi everyone. I just bought a 2008 Volvo s80 from an auction and i need both front headlights for it. Would anybody get know where I can find some for cheap. Also what type of maintenance should I look to do on it. It has 100,000 miles on it. I am willing to service it myself to save money. I am noob with Volvo so anything helps.
Hey I’d recommend going to like autozone or a place like that because thats where I got mine