Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   99 s80 t6, idle problem, feels like out of gas (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/99-s80-t6-idle-problem-feels-like-out-gas-34427/)

jonc123 09-17-2009 03:39 PM

99 s80 t6, idle problem, feels like out of gas

I have a 99 s80 t6 i recently purchased. The car would die out of nowhere every once in a while, but then i would pull over and turn the key off and on and it would be fine again. Well recently it started doing this more and now it wont stay started. it will fire up and idle really low, or fire up for a second and die. It feels like its out of gas but i just filled up.
Any help would be appriciated
thanks....jon

silencecom 09-17-2009 03:45 PM

sounds like when my fuel pump went... does it run better with a full tank?

jonc123 09-17-2009 04:13 PM

no, it doesnt really run now. it wil start and idle, and i can sometimes move it, but it will stall and wont run again for a while. This car has some electrical issues too so im not sure if this can be electrical.

silencecom 09-17-2009 04:49 PM

if u dont have one go to advanced auto or autozone and borrow a ful pressure meter and check the fuel pressure. sounds like tired pump to me

arnis 09-18-2009 01:05 AM

I had the same problem and turned out that a pipe was off the etm

jonc123 09-18-2009 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by arnis (Post 181706)
I had the same problem and turned out that a pipe was off the etm

Pipes all look good, maybe ill try to clean the etm?

silencecom 09-19-2009 08:33 AM

anything new?

N_Vagrant 09-19-2009 10:31 AM

might have to replace your mass air flow, might need a new etm, does giving it any gas in park help it???

jonc123 09-28-2009 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by N_Vagrant (Post 181860)
might have to replace your mass air flow, might need a new etm, does giving it any gas in park help it???

Well i ruled out the mass air flow because it doesnt come up when I run a scan. i can give it gas in park but when i put it in gear it stalls

REVickers 10-07-2009 09:12 PM

SO whatever happened

I had Jiffy lube change the oil in my 2000 S40 and then drove it to Best Buy and had a new stereo put in my car cause the amp was bad. When I went to pick the car it would start but would not idle. I am a social worker and have little expendable cash and hate to take it to the dealer. Whatever happened to your car that started this thread. Any thoughts from anybody on what my car needs. I like my car and want to keep it but can't afford much. Thanks much.

jonc123 10-08-2009 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by REVickers (Post 185642)
I had Jiffy lube change the oil in my 2000 S40 and then drove it to Best Buy and had a new stereo put in my car cause the amp was bad. When I went to pick the car it would start but would not idle. I am a social worker and have little expendable cash and hate to take it to the dealer. Whatever happened to your car that started this thread. Any thoughts from anybody on what my car needs. I like my car and want to keep it but can't afford much. Thanks much.

On my car the ETM goes , they are under recall from volvo. I am in the process of cleaning it, but have been tied up. I doubt that is the case in your situation because it is a differant engine. So in your case im thinking when they installed the stereo something went wrong ( it did start this right after they installed it right?) I would check all of your fuses in both boxes, then look at the mass air flow sensor connections. Look at the pipe between the intake and the mass air flow sensor to make sure they didnt get knocked off too.

REVickers 10-09-2009 05:28 AM

Solved Problem - Idle Air Control Valve

Wow! I found this article at: http://s40concepts.net/forum/index.p...31&start=0&rid= and it said to clean the Idle Air Control Valve. After I exhausted (no pun intended) everything else, I did this and wow! What a difference. Now I found a lot of green corosion at the electric connector and I still have to clean this and the gasget looked a bit worn so I will replace it. Car had been running a bit rough and just blamed it on age but now it is running smoother. I think with these last few tweeks it will run like a charm. I'm excited I found this fix.

537playing 10-09-2009 05:06 PM

Where is the IAC on a S80? Does it even have one?