Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Adding keyless start

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 01:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adding keyless start

Hello. I'm a first time Volvo owner. I bought a 2008 S80 a few days ago. Was wondering if it's possible (meaning not horribly expensive) to add the keyless start/entry system?

Old 03-12-2010, 07:21 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cradled
Hello. I'm a first time Volvo owner. I bought a 2008 S80 a few days ago. Was wondering if it's possible (meaning not horribly expensive) to add the keyless start/entry system?
Short answer, No. Only way it would be inexpensive is if you did the work yourself. A shop will charge more compared to other vehicles if they will even work on it.

Old 03-12-2010, 09:55 AM

I finally got my 2005 Volvo done, it was a really pain according to the installer and the dealership was not happy (they were actually kind of rude about it) when I brought my car into the shop for an oil change.

The difficulties I know they ran into was light confirmation (due to the auto/computer lighting control system), which really wasn't an issue because the lights come on anyway.

The need for a seperate key, which I guess I was fortunate enough to have not just the two main keys and valet, but the broken key unit from a warranty repair (the dealership gave it to me - the flip mechanism failed).

The starter itself, unlocks the car before it can start it, but it won't relock it, so when ever I use it, I have to start it and then remember to press the lock if I want to be sure no one can get into it.

The starter system if in use will disable the use of the factory remote for everything (trunk, alarm, locks).

Otherwise, it works great, I can start my car from my office while my car is parked about 1/2 block away in a parking garage with the two way system. The price was about $450.00 installed.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:36 AM

I installed a remote start/keyless on a 02 without an issue, even though that year is more difficult of an installation. Installers will have to go inside the drivers door for locks and run a wired relay all the way to trunk for the trunk pop feature. Some years are more difficult then others but some yrs have aftermarket control modules available which make the installation quite easy. I believe that anything > 2003 are fairly easy and just require a module from a company like CompuStar. First and foremost you must go to a solid and reputable electronics installation location as some of these places are butchers.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:40 AM

[quote=jlewisinsyr;209472]I finally got my 2005 Volvo done, it was a really pain according to the installer and the dealership was not happy (they were actually kind of rude about it) when I brought my car into the shop for an oil change.

The difficulties I know they ran into was light confirmation (due to the auto/computer lighting control system), which really wasn't an issue because the lights come on anyway.

The need for a seperate key, which I guess I was fortunate enough to have not just the two main keys and valet, but the broken key unit from a warranty repair (the dealership gave it to me - the flip mechanism failed).

The starter itself, unlocks the car before it can start it, but it won't relock it, so when ever I use it, I have to start it and then remember to press the lock if I want to be sure no one can get into it.

The starter system if in use will disable the use of the factory remote for everything (trunk, alarm, locks).

Otherwise, it works great, I can start my car from my office while my car is parked about 1/2 block away in a parking garage with the two way system. The price was about $450.00 installed.

your installer did not complete this installation properly because you should not have to relock the vehicle. It sounds like he did a short cut in order to complete your installation or he is less seasoned. You most definately can have the vehicle relock after remote start is done. The dealer should not give you hell about it, there are state laws allowing aftermarket installation without voiding factory warranties as long as installers haven't damaged anything./quote]

Last edited by travismail; 03-12-2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by travismail
your installer did not complete this installation properly because you should not have to relock the vehicle. It sounds like he did a short cut in order to complete your installation or he is less seasoned. You most definately can have the vehicle relock after remote start is done. The dealer should not give you hell about it, there are state laws allowing aftermarket installation without voiding factory warranties as long as installers haven't damaged anything.
I don't mind the unlocking bit, it's fine, I thought about bringing it back, but its just not worth my time.

Regarding the dealership, yes, I know they cannot really do anything, but they were not happy at all, I walked out of there pretty annoyed.

Old 03-12-2010, 07:05 PM

Appreciate the responses. I was hoping everything was kind of pre-setup since it was an option on my car. I would really like to step on the brake, hit start, and go rather than having to put the key in the slot first. Oh well, not a big deal. Thanks again.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Appreciate the responses. I was hoping everything was kind of pre-setup since it was an option on my car. I would really like to step on the brake, hit start, and go rather than having to put the key in the slot first. Oh well, not a big deal. Thanks again.
Completely different from the remote starter options posted by all of us. Your question was not answered. Recall a swedespeed thread on this subject, other owners were asking if they could add that particular option on. May or may not have been the S80 model.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:39 AM

everything is prewired for factory installed devices and not aftermarket, however, it is much more expensive that way. the aftermarket products will save you money and work about the same. that vehicle should not be an issue with installation. it should run you about $400 with all features.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:33 AM

Awesome. Thank you very much.

Old 03-14-2010, 03:35 AM

Oh, and speaking of pre-wired. I noticed the interior door handle bezels have a slit on top which I'm assuming is for ambient lighting. Probably for an upper end model. Do you know if all I need to do is install a bulb?

Old 03-14-2010, 06:23 PM

Oh, and speaking of pre-wired. I noticed the interior door handle bezels have a slit on top which I'm assuming is for ambient lighting. Probably for an upper end model. Do you know if all I need to do is install a bulb?
Knowing how computerized Volvos are, it will probably require a software change as well.