Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Any Advice On What To Check Before Buying a 2000 S80?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2011, 03:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Advice On What To Check Before Buying a 2000 S80?

I'm new here and to Volvo's & I am looking for some advice on what things check before buying a 2000 S80 6T with a 100,000 miles on it. What are the common expensive downfalls of this car and what to be weary of?

Also, the seller is being upfront stating the car just begun leaking from what he thinks is the valve cover(I will inspect closer when viewing) and he was going to bring it to a mechanic before selling. He also indicated that he might be flexible on the price due to this. I do work on my own cars and boat and have replaced valve covers before on other engines. How difficult is this job and could it be an indication of a larger problem?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Old 10-02-2011, 09:29 AM

Dont Buy it thats my recomendation! IF ur willing to spend a couple of bucks and like how the car looks then do so!! Just be sure when was the timing belt change if it hasnt be prepare to do it, check that is not blowing blue smoke from the muffler, thats an indication of the turbos going bad, check coolant the color engine oil, trand oil, if you can get it cheap and the car lokks nice get it other wise your gonna be throwing a lot of moeny

Old 10-02-2011, 07:33 PM

IMO I feel that these engines would not leak oil because of a valve cover gasket. In fact, these engines don't have the typical valve cover. What will cause this type of leak is most likely an over heated engine.
Also verify timing belt has been done. Regardless of mileage, it is old.
Has the ETM been replaced?
Be ready to replace all components of your front suspension as well.
Fuel pump should be failing soon.
Most likely you'll need to replace all the O2 sensors. That's four of them at over $100 each.
Also check for rust along the rocker panels.
Enjoy

Old 10-10-2011, 03:37 PM

check the oil filler cap for sludge on the bottom of it! That will tell you what the rest of the engine is like. the PCV valve is prone to clog and in turn causes oil leaks due to excessive block pressure. I would not recommend this car! the xmsn are weak and have a high failure. The ETM are a endless battle to keep clean and operational. The parts are not cheap and they require lots of pampering to keep running. Often people over service the oil past the 7.3qts so it gets blown into oil trap and sucked into intake which fouls plugs quickly and explains the PVC clog. If you do decide to get it at least have a compression check and leak down check on cylinders, compression check on radiator, have them check the fuel pressure and oil pressure. get them to replace timing belt, tensioner, idler, and water pump. Check tie rods, ball joints, front strut bearings, control arm bushings. Have them flush xmsn fluid and change cabin air filter. Otherwise with the mileage you can expect to drop an easy grand in parts and a few more hundred in special tools and a weekend or two to do the repairs. Otherwise the repair shop will bend you over and ram it right in your backside with the bill.

Oh by the way that is not a valve cover it is a cam cover which has the build in races for the cams. They use a special anarobic seal material which is a big pane to clean off to re-seal. There is a special tool to take it off too. It's part of the cam locking tool kit which keeps the cover level so you don't crack the aluminum cover while prying it up.