Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Bought S80 T6, need some advice please (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/bought-s80-t6-need-some-advice-please-68889/)

HylanderUS 02-07-2013 10:55 PM

Bought S80 T6, need some advice please

Hi!

First of all, hello, new guy here :) My only experience with Volvo so far was owning a 480 ES for a couple of years a while back. I loved it, was a great car for its age. Anyway, my wife and I just bought a 2008 S80 T6. We were looking for a sporty sedan with some oomph that would also offer some creature comforts. We test drove the T6 and a Charger R/T, and the Volvo took it way, way hands down. But then, we both love turbo charged cars that don't drive like tanks, so might be biased :)

Anyway: So, we bought the car, both really like it so far (but just had it for a day so again, might still be biased and giddy about it :)). The dealership offered us some 3rd party (paid) warranty, and we're torn if we should get it or not.

The car doesn't have any issues currently, and looks very well maintained. It has 61k miles, one owner, clean car fax, no accidents, and seems to have been maintained well. It's very clean inside and out, apart from a few paint scratches, but hey, it's a couple of years old and this kind of stuff happens up here in the winter.

So, we paid 17.5k for the car, and they offered a 4 year full cover-all warranty for another 2.6k. I might add that I'm usually pretty kind of handy with cars and usually repair everything myself (headgaskets, turbochargers etc), so the car won't be neglected and there's not really that much I wouldn't do myself in the garage. But: This car has so many electronics, plus a complicated AWD system, plus a fancy sequential automatic, and that all makes me a bit nervous.
I was hoping you guys could help me with some information to make that decision. Are there any known issues with this car that I should be expecting in the next 60k miles (that's how much the insurance would cover). I didn't find anything obvious pointed out here or anywhere else that I looked, apart from some recalls.

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

lor3nzod 02-08-2013 07:11 PM

i would take it imo.

HylanderUS 02-08-2013 07:18 PM

Okay... any specific reasons why? Are there any know issues that I should be aware of?

akabond 02-08-2013 09:46 PM

1st of all congrats on the S80..
hmm not sure about problems with new generation S80. i have previous generation so the car had CPO but for 2.5 years no issue whatsoever and i am loving. So i think 2008 should not have any problems too. But if i were you i would buy that insurance. Now i cannot say the reason. Its just that its a Volvo and even tho its a newer generation model Volvo cars will take some more years to be like Lexus and be dependable.
what i am trying to say is based on history S80s were not very dependable. Sure they are trying to change that negative image into a better products,its still in its early stage so just to be sure i would take that insurance. I am sure you will not have use it but who knows..

Also you should post pics here :
https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...duction-63710/

taylormaed 02-13-2013 08:17 AM

S 80's and Warranty

I have had two 01 S80's first one I drove to 298K before transmission went. Second one I am driving now has 183K. On the first one I brought a bumper to bumper warranty from Carchex. I help with typical maintenance. I think as long as you do the rountine maint. Engine and transmission should be fine. Look for OTM (electronic throttle module) and oxygen sensors to have be replace. This is expensive so waranty comes in handy. Struts and engine mounts, and tie rods wil also go over time.

AndieSpaeth 12-14-2021 11:55 PM

Originally Posted by HylanderUS (Post 342733)
Hi!

First of all, hello, new guy here :) My only experience with Volvo so far was owning a 480 ES for a couple of years a while back. I loved it, was a great car for its age. Anyway, my wife and I just bought a 2008 S80 T6. We were looking for a sporty sedan with some oomph that would also offer some creature comforts. We test drove the T6 and a Charger R/T, and the Volvo took it way, way hands down. But then, we both love turbo charged cars that don't drive like tanks, so might be biased :)

Anyway: So, we bought the car, both really like it so far (but just had it for a day so again, might still be biased and giddy about it :)). The dealership offered us some 3rd party (paid) warranty, and we're torn if we should get it or not.

The car doesn't have any issues currently, and looks very well maintained. It has 61k miles, one owner, clean car fax, no accidents, and seems to have been maintained well. It's very clean inside and out, apart from a few paint scratches, but hey, it's a couple of years old and this kind of stuff happens up here in the winter.

So, we paid 17.5k for the car, and they offered a 4 year full cover-all warranty for another 2.6k. I might add that I'm usually pretty kind of handy with cars and usually repair everything myself (headgaskets, turbochargers etc), so the car won't be neglected and there's not really that much I wouldn't do myself in the garage. But: This car has so many electronics, plus a complicated AWD system, plus a fancy sequential automatic, and that all makes me a bit nervous.
I was hoping you guys could help me with some information to make that decision. Are there any known issues with this car that I should be expecting in the next 60k miles (that's how much the insurance would cover). I didn't find anything obvious pointed out here or anywhere else that I looked, apart from some recalls.

Thanks in advance,

Thomas

Hi Thomas,
I've got an 09 S80 so I hope my advise will help.
first of all, I absolutely am in love with this car! As far as the ride goes it doesn't get much smoother. It is very comfortable and safe to drive while the passengers have plenty of room and controls keep them busy. (Mine came with 2 sets of headphones for the back passengers with plugins and controls for each) I too am very handy and would rather work on my own vehicle then pay someone else to do it just for the fact that because it's a mine I would rather know how to be able to work on or fix something that may break. That being said, this car is incredibly over-engineered. While having all of the confidence of working on your own vehicle it still is a bit frightening and overwhelming. The parts for a Volvo are a lot more expensive then I am used to. Since this is an older model car the bushings will need changing and the springs and struts will need changing almost immediately if that hasn't been done. If the car has not had plugs and coil packs changed that's another project to add to your list soon. If any of the sensors fail and need to be changed the price is staggering compared to a domestic. Since the car comes equipped with its own Diagnostics built in it does not have any of the gauges that you would normally keep your eye on when buying a used vehicle. (It wont tell you there's a problem until there is a problem) it's one thing to be able to change out a part, it's another to be able to diagnose a problem. If you do have to take it into a mechanic it needs to be a Volvo Certified mechanic or Volvo will not touch it after that.
SO, get ready Thomas, either you will love it or you will hate it. My suggestion is.... get the warranty!
I LOVE mine! Hope you will too! =)
- Andie
ps. Mine is the S80 Executive (w/ the wine fridge in the rear arm rest) if yours is too, read the manual! It has tons more features!