Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Brake Booster replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 09:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tech
You have to make sure it matches what your car has. STC DSTC etc.
How would I know what my car has exactly? Thanks.

Old 04-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Default 2000 S80 Booster Replacement

I just replaced the Brake Booster on my 2000 S80 2.9L. It was easy for me and took 2 hours. The reason I needed to replace it was there was an intermittent hissing sound (Vacuum Leak) heard inside the cabin usually after releasing the brakes. It would stop if I just quickly tapped on the brake pedal. There was the "Service Engine" light and also an "Emissions Service Required" message on the display.

Not just that but the biggest problem I had was the Surging & erratic Idle. Got so bad that the lights would dim and the car was dying the day I replaced it.

After the change the car idles & runs perfect. No more messages and it passes inspection with flying colors.

Thank you all for the posts

Old 04-13-2011, 07:45 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Glad it all went well for you.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:32 PM

How do I figure out what technology my current brake booster has so that I know which kind of brake booster I should buy? Ex: STC,DSTC, etc

Old 04-25-2011, 08:40 AM

There should be a sticker on the booster showing STC or DSTC. I believe the DSTC has an extra solenoid on the booster. Mine, a Non DSTC had 1 switch and the vacuum line connection.

Old 04-30-2011, 09:30 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Also usually you have the switch inside the car under the A/C controls.

Old 06-03-2011, 12:37 PM

Put mine off as long as I could. I was hopeful based on some of these comments: https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-...ars-off-43983/ that i could wait - but alas, no. Began to see diminished power assist with brakes. Hiss was very loud and the dam booster buzz drove me crazy. $1,100 parts and labor with DSTC.

Old 07-11-2011, 10:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Source for Brake Booster

Advance Auto parts sells Cardone boosters for less than $200.00.

I used one on my 2000 S80 T6 with good results and am about to change the one on my 2003 S80 T6

Old 11-07-2011, 07:46 PM

Well, I am taking a chance on a used DSTC brake booster on my 1999 S80 with 181000 miles on it. Got the classic hiss. I JUST had to replace my ETM. Totally OEM, white sticker and all. Had it checked twice before the warrantee was up and both times it totally checked out. Tried to update the software and I said heck no. Mine went 172k miles before I had to by one from ZeModex. $549 and works like a charm. Should have never gone with the DSTC Volvo. Too expensive parts wise and rare.

UPDATE: Well, the used $480 booster was NOT a DSTC booster either. A new one from VOLVO was a non starter based on the value of the car. Well, I figured I would try pulling the seal out of a new cheap one (Non DSTC) I bought and putting it in my fully functional yet leaking original DSTC booster. Took a little time but it worked like a charm. Use a little RTV around the edge of the seal to prevent the dread seal popping back out. Of course that was the easier part, putting the thing back in.... well I think the Lord may be unhappy with my choice of words during that brutal process.

Last edited by hughrhodes; 05-06-2013 at 04:08 PM. Reason: Update to Booster replacement
Old 07-24-2012, 07:48 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrikWilston
Brake boosters aren't for manual brakes. they're solely used on power brakes to provide a lot of braking power with minimal pressure on the brake pedal. A brake booster could be a device that has further braking power with the assistance of their hydraulic systems.
i imagine everyone here knows what brake boosters do? but thanks for your input.

Old 07-27-2012, 06:55 PM

I have a Volvo S 60.
Was making a "hissing" noise under the dash.
Everything worked otherwise.
I relaced the booster, put everything back together.
Bled the brakes starting with the right rear.
Now brakes tighten up when driving only a short distance.
I need help!

Old 08-18-2013, 09:19 PM

Tech - Thanks for your step by step on the brake booster replacement..it really helped..instead of figuring it out as I go( most of the time) I just replaced it on my 2001 V70, 2.4T..the biggest bitch was under the dash with those fine threaded nuts securing the booster to the firewall..UGH! I needed toremove the channel casing on the wire harness to the right of the booster, then it pretty much slid out. I hope this is good for another 100K!
Thanks again

Old 03-19-2014, 10:37 PM

Does anyone have a reasonably priced supplier for the brake booster for S80 T6 1999 STC
(part 9485180) that will supply to Australia?
Thanks Ken

Old 05-04-2014, 06:49 PM
Default Help

I have a 2001 S60, nonturbo with an automatic. I followed Tech's instructions to the letter with no issues during replacement. Upon starting the car I have several issues:
1. I cannot get the brake light switch to adjust.
2. ABS, Traction Control, and Brake lights are on.
3. Information display says "Brake System Failure".
4. Went for a test drive to check booster-seems fine-went around the block, upon returning at home, the speedometer zeroed out and felt as if in neutral. Revved to 3500 RPM to get in garage.

Please help-what could I have possibly screwed up? I am fairly mechanical and have never had an issue like this!

Old 05-05-2014, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by tylerddean@yahoo.com
I have a 2001 S60, nonturbo with an automatic. I followed Tech's instructions to the letter with no issues during replacement. Upon starting the car I have several issues:
1. I cannot get the brake light switch to adjust.
2. ABS, Traction Control, and Brake lights are on.
3. Information display says "Brake System Failure".
4. Went for a test drive to check booster-seems fine-went around the block, upon returning at home, the speedometer zeroed out and felt as if in neutral. Revved to 3500 RPM to get in garage.

Please help-what could I have possibly screwed up? I am fairly mechanical and have never had an issue like this!

Well, you may not have screwed up anything. Try this first:

Disconnect battery for a few minutes and re-connect. Start car and see if the faults clear.

This is one of the ugly electrical issues with this vintage of Volvos. There are quite a few threads concerning this but none point to a specific issue. Sometimes it is the ABS module, others claim replacing the key cylinder lock worked, others say its a faulty ECU. In any case I have had the same issue for over a year.

The worst is when you are driving down the road and ALL of your warning lights come on and then your tach and speedometer drop to zero. Meanwhile, the car seems to operate just fine, you just don't have any gauges. Volvo spent 2 days trying to isolate the issue on my car and failed.

Old 05-06-2014, 07:57 PM
Default Re: Help

Just wanted to provide an update, had the car towed to my local independent Volvo shop; VIDA showed an ABS code. After tracing for about 5 minutes, they found that the large harness on the ABS controller had come partially unplugged. The brake light switch was also broken, and exacerbated by the booster replacement. Everything is good now.

The following users liked this post:
KavoTheGodd (05-01-2023)
Old 05-08-2014, 09:54 AM
Question Brake Booster With DSTC or without DSTC ??

I have a 2001 Volvo S80 T6 4-Door Sedan. It has STC option button, but not DSTC.

When I press the brake pedal, I get a hissing sound. And also the braking power has gone down considerably.

I am trying to buy a brake booster online. Some sites say I need to use Booster with DSTC while others say it's not required.

Please help me out here. Should I buy the booster With DSTC or without DSTC ??

Thanks

Old 05-09-2014, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by abhiram66
I have a 2001 Volvo S80 T6 4-Door Sedan. It has STC option button, but not DSTC.

When I press the brake pedal, I get a hissing sound. And also the braking power has gone down considerably.

I am trying to buy a brake booster online. Some sites say I need to use Booster with DSTC while others say it's not required.

Please help me out here. Should I buy the booster With DSTC or without DSTC ??

Thanks

You don't need a DSTC brake booster which is a VERY expensive replacement part if you don't have the DSTC option. In fact, I am pretty sure it won't work in your car. Very few Volvos of that era had DSTC compared to STC. The cost difference between the two boosters is easily $450.

BTW, have you ever replaced a brake booster on an S80? It isn't complicated but expect to be upside down in the driver's seat for a very long time cursing the day you ever bought the car.

Last edited by hughrhodes; 05-09-2014 at 09:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
KavoTheGodd (05-01-2023)
Old 05-10-2014, 08:40 AM

There sre some good instructions on this site for the procedure to replace the booster, but yes you will be upside down and cramped under the dash forever. If you have a small air ratchet (1/4") it could make a world of difference...anything larger wont maneuver under there..

Old 08-17-2014, 12:02 PM
Default 2003 s80 t6 brake booster

followed step by step and did great, but is there more steps for a s80 T6? if so, what next? it seems there is turbo piping in the way or am I just not twisting and turning right. Doesn't look like it will come out

Quick Reply: Brake Booster replacement