Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Brake Failure

Old 04-10-2008, 10:36 AM
Default Brake Failure

Every now and then my 99 S80 will tell me "Brake failure stop safely asap". However my brakes still work fine so I figured it was because my ABS module is bad (the abs and stc lights are on). When it does say this my trip odometer also went to saying "---" which I heard can be cause by a bad abs. But the other day when it came on my car started acting really funny. It was shifting really weird and then eventually seemed as if i couldnt get out of first gear. When the message went away the car started acting normal again and shifting fine. What would this be cause by? It wouldn't be my transmission would it (please say no)? Thanks

Old 04-11-2008, 03:53 PM
Default RE: Brake Failure

Sent my abs box to BBA. Google BBA REMAN paid about 80.00 plus shipping fixed my lights and they received Monday I had it back and on my car Friday. Not hard to take off and put back on Wrapped a plastic bag around the tubes and taped it good to keep the dust and dirt out and you can drive the car while it is gone for repairs. BBA had directions and wrench needed for removal. Dont know if that will have any effect on your transmission or not

Old 04-11-2008, 05:08 PM

Thanks for the advise. I'd much rather spend $80 than $900 at the dealer to have it replaced. I'll give BBA REMAN a try. Also, a message came up saying "transmission service required" the next day when I started my car...but it's been acting normal now. Hopefully it was just a one time thing...

Old 04-11-2008, 07:42 PM

When you take the box off there is a slide bar to lock the box on You have to slide the bar out to get the box off then when you put it back on you have to slide the bar in to relock it. Its really not as hard as it sounds to do.