Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Bulb Failure - Position Light

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bulb Failure - Position Light

Forgive my ignorance but can anyone please tell me what this means? It shows up on the left hand side of the gauge digital read-out? All the lights and everything seem to be working fine?

Old 01-31-2008, 06:28 PM
Default RE: Bulb Failure - Position Light

do a search, but it is probably a rear tail light since their are so many. You are probably overlooking one that is out. There is a good post somewhere on here that has pictures of all of the tail lights lit up and working.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:51 PM

Thank you, I will check that out!

Old 02-01-2008, 06:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Killa Cam

If my memory serves me right, I believe that the position light is your rear brake light. It can be difficult to see though so look very closesly. What I did is I replaced all the bulbs for the rear light assemblies while I was in there and working on it. That way I don't have to deal with any of that for quite some time. But then again I'm pretty OCD. lol

Old 02-01-2008, 06:51 PM

ORIGINAL: master_pre

If my memory serves me right, I believe that the position light is your rear brake light. It can be difficult to see though so look very closesly. What I did is I replaced all the bulbs for the rear light assemblies while I was in there and working on it. That way I don't have to deal with any of that for quite some time. But then again I'm pretty OCD. lol
LOL...sounds good and also sounds like we both have something in common...I'll probably change them all out too cause I'm pretty OCD myself...lol

Old 02-01-2008, 10:05 PM

Okay so I did the OCD thing and replaced all the bulbs in taillights and now the "Bulb Failure - Position Light" readout is gone and it shows my avarage MPG but I still have no brake lights other than the 3rd brake light in the rear window? I checked the fuses by the drivers side door panel and the ones in the trunk on the drivers side and none are blown? The reverse lights work, the running lights work, the turnsignals work, but the brake lights (other than the 3rd) do not light up when I hit the brakes? Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance, Cameron

EDITED: Also the fuse for the cigarette lighter keeps blowing when I use a cigarette lighter and / or a cell phone charger. It will work for awhile but eventually it blows out. As far as I can tell all the wiring looks to be OEM and no splicing, loose ends, or anything unusual?

Old 02-01-2008, 11:28 PM

Okay the "Bulb Failure - Position Light" message appeared once again!?!? [:@] Any suggestions? Is there a brakelight module or relay that may have went bad?

Old 02-02-2008, 09:21 AM

After a couple hours on googlke and what-not it seems to me that it may be a relay in the trunk area (light brown)? However I called the only local Volvo dealer in town and their parts and service department are closed on weekends I tried AutoZone also but they do not carry the part Has anyone else had a relay go out and had this problem?

Old 02-02-2008, 10:17 AM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

I have seen the relays mess up all the time.
If you have to for now swap it with something thats really not all that important for the moment.
Also sometimes the connections are only dirty.

Old 02-02-2008, 04:45 PM

ORIGINAL: tech

I have seen the relays mess up all the time.
If you have to for now swap it with something thats really not all that important for the moment.
Also sometimes the connections are only dirty.
Okay thanks for the info. I will check to see if the connetors are clean an what-not tonight. Also, what could I swap it with in the meantime that is not so important and is the realy light brown? Any help is greatly appriciated.

Thanks again,

Cameron

Old 02-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Name:  S80relays.jpg
Views: 5794
Size:  89.1 KB

Name:  S80relays1.jpg
Views: 3921
Size:  93.5 KB

If you look above teh brake light relay is black and it is in the location RM 15.
I would swap it with RM 121 which is the fuel door locking relay but make sure it is the same smaller one. It should be the exact same relay.

Old 02-02-2008, 10:21 PM

Thanks a million, I am going to try it tomorrow when it's light out and see what happens!

Old 02-05-2008, 08:09 PM

Well I did the relay switch-a-roo ( thanks tech for the diagram and advice on which one to sway ) and I now have all brakelights working!! The readout still displays :: Bulb Failure - Position Light :: as it did before but that was not my main concern, it was having only the third brakelight only working. I may take it to Volvo of Dayton around here and have them look at it but honestly I am kind of a do-it-yourselfer ( ie: using this forum rather than taking it to the dealer in the 1st place ) as I can only assume the most of us are. Anyway, thanks a million Tech, now I feel safe for my fiance' and 4 month old daughter to commute around town in the S80 !! [sm=groupwave.gif]

Old 02-05-2008, 09:12 PM
Administrator

For the message make sure you have 2 taillight bulbs lite per side in the rear.
Also if you have mixed brands for the bulbs it might trip the message. Example brass base and silver base might trip the message.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:44 PM

Thanks, I will look at that as I do have a couple with brass base and a couple with silver colored base.

Old 02-06-2008, 09:38 AM

ill tell ya what, ever since i got my s80 t6 two years ago my bulbs go out constantly. they arent cheap either.

Old 02-06-2008, 12:05 PM

ORIGINAL: lauren stephens

ill tell ya what, ever since i got my s80 t6 two years ago my bulbs go out constantly. they arent cheap either.
I hear ya, maybe my light is still on because I bought the cheap AutoZone brand?

Old 02-26-2008, 10:18 AM

FINALLY REPLACED ALL BULBS AGAIN. I THINK IT MAY HAVE BEEN THE REAR FOG LIGHT BULB THROWING THE CODE BECAUSE THAT IS THE ONLY ONE I DID NOT REPLACE BEFORE AND NOW THE CODE IS GONE!!

Old 02-26-2008, 07:16 PM
Administrator

FINALLY REPLACED ALL BULBS AGAIN. I THINK IT MAY HAVE BEEN THE REAR FOG LIGHT BULB THROWING THE CODE BECAUSE THAT IS THE ONLY ONE I DID NOT REPLACE BEFORE AND NOW THE CODE IS GONE!!
Cool glad all is well.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:19 PM

ORIGINAL: tech

Cool glad all is well.
Thanks for all the help!!

Quick Reply: Bulb Failure - Position Light