Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Camshaft Position Cover/Sensor LEAKING OIL

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 04:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft Position Cover/Sensor LEAKING OIL

I have a 2000 Volvo S80 2.8 liter and it appears to be leaking oil from the Camshaft Position Sensor/Cover which is located at the drivers-side rear bank, at the end of the cylinder head.

Can anyone suggest a fix? Where can I find instructions? Or does anyone know where I can get my hands on a repair manual? (I found a Haynes Manual online but it doesn't seem to cover the 2.8 liter)

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 05-13-2012, 05:36 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Well, if there is a oil coming from there, you have a rear cam seal leak. All you need to do is unplug the sensor, remove the bolts that hold the sensor on to remove the sensor, once the sensor is off, pull the seal out if it doesn't fall out, and carefully place the new seal in there and reverse to close it up.

How many miles do you have on the car? Is the car turbo? Another concern I would have is what caused the seal to leak? Has the flame trap or PCV system been serviced?

Old 05-14-2012, 08:58 AM

Thank you for your response. This is my brother's car and I am emailing on
his behalf because he doesn't have a computer.

We're not sure exactly what that cover is called that we're referring to... but guessing it's the camshaft position cover or camshaft sensor cover... but it could be called by another name. He asked a repair shop that has no experience with Volvo's and they were concerned about removing the cover incase it would mess up the timing, or something else.

-Do you know what is the proper name for this cover?
- Is there any danger of my brother messing something up if removing this cover on his own?
- I'm pretty sure the car has over 100,000 miles.
- The car is a turbo, yes.
- No, the flame trap or PCV system has NOT been serviced yet.

Your help is very much appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Old 05-14-2012, 09:01 AM

And, is there anywhere we can buy a repair manual for this vehicle? (2000 Volvo S80 Turbo 2.8 liter) I see a Haynes manual online. On the front cover it says it covers this vehicle, but upon further inspection it looks like it doesn't cover the 2.8 liters.

Thanks.

Old 05-14-2012, 12:46 PM
Administrator
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

I think the manual would be fine. I don't think there is much difference between the engines persae'.

As for the cover, it is likely the sensor itself. On the inside of what looks to be the cover is the electrical contacts etc.

No, you can't mess up the timing by removing that sensor. The timing is set by the TIMING BELT on the front of the motor. Also, the timing is adjusted automatically, as long as it is aligned initially by a proper belt install.

There is a chance that the PCV system is clogged, causing pressure to build up in the motor, thus blowing seals. I'd service the system then change the seal, clean up the sensor. Also, the timing belt should be changed if not done so already. Those things are time bombs if not replaced when due (mileage/years). If the timing belt fails, it can destry the motor.

Old 05-17-2012, 10:15 AM
Default Does a Volvo S80 "TURBO" have a Flametrap?

I see a lot mentioned about the flametrap maintenance.

Does a Volvo S80 TURBO have a flametrap? or just the non-turbo S80's?

Thanks.