Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   Coolant question (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/coolant-question-27610/)

andrei3333 02-15-2009 10:23 PM

Coolant question

I have a crack at the top of the coolant overflow resevoir where the hose connects, the bottle needs to be replaced. i cannot get to this for about a month and a half.

the coolant seems to be slowly evaporating or leaking out. cannot tell for sure... ...i dont know the history of my volvo so dont know what coolant is in there now

i keep getting the low coolant error message on the dash at cold start up that dissapears after the coolant warms up and expands enough for the message to go away

i have nissan long life coolant remaining from my other car,the nissan coolant is green but seems darker than the volvo coolant wondering if i can mix that 50/50 and refill the reservoir for now until i get a replacement coolant reservoir would it damage the waterpump or anything else ??

tech 02-16-2009 06:13 PM

The Green coolant should be fine. Usually all the Green stuff is pretty much the same.

nicolaselias 02-16-2009 07:11 PM

I just bought a bottle of Prestone green coolant for $10 and got $5 back by rebate.. not a bad deal. Just needed it for a top up, but I don't think they sell antifreeze is convenient sizes..

Its so much better to buy the full concentrate and then dilute yourself...
Regular bottle = $10
50/50 premixed = $8.. shouldnt it be 5? I'm fairly certain that water doesnt cost $3...

Capo Cam 02-16-2009 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by tech (Post 144416)
The Green coolant should be fine. Usually all the Green stuff is pretty much the same.

That's what I've been using also. unfortunately for me I have to buy a bottle every 3-4 weeks or so because our '99 S80 has a crack in the plastic below the resivoir tank. I need to start shopping junk yards soon. I probably could have bought 3 of them by now with all the coolant i've invested in.

nicolaselias 02-16-2009 10:12 PM

Hey killa, try www.uneedapart.com its a link to a load of junk yards, so see if they can pick up the part for you...
worth a shot..

Capo Cam 02-17-2009 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by nicolaselias (Post 144484)
Hey killa, try www.uneedapart.com its a link to a load of junk yards, so see if they can pick up the part for you...
worth a shot..

Sweet! Thanks for the link. I tried Flea-Bay last night to no avail.

Capo Cam 02-17-2009 10:42 PM

Can one of you please give me the Volvo Part number or description? When I upgraded my PC I loaded Windows Vista Ultimate and I'm scared to try loading Vadis on it before doing a backup. It would be the plastic tubing that is below the resivoir. I found a few resevoir's on E-gay but none included the tube.

andrei3333 02-17-2009 10:49 PM

my vadis works perfectly with vista ultimate 64 bit - go ahead and load vadis

cant picture the part you are desctibing

Capo Cam 02-20-2009 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by andrei3333 (Post 144632)
my vadis works perfectly with vista ultimate 64 bit - go ahead and load vadis

cant picture the part you are desctibing

Cool, I will load her on there tonight. Thanks for the info. I forget the passwords and login though (it's been awhile since I used it). I think it was "admin" or "administrator"?

andrei3333 02-20-2009 05:16 PM

the original password that ships with vadis ?
ill see if i still have the readme file

JTapper 02-20-2009 05:49 PM

The tank is part#30723930

Capo Cam 02-20-2009 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by andrei3333 (Post 145034)
the original password that ships with vadis ?
ill see if i still have the readme file

Thanks again. Don't worry about it. I realized after I unzipped it that it was in my readme.txt file ... lol ... Thanks again. I am getting ready to install so if anything breaks I am holding you fully responsible ... j/k ... lol

Capo Cam 02-20-2009 05:54 PM

I know this sounds like I am a real hillbilly but do you think that I would be okay to use a hot glue gun on the small crack that I have in the downtube until I get a new / used one? One of the mechanics at work (motorcycle mechanic) suggested trying that as a temporary fix until I get the new one. I know this sounds pretty dumb but I thought "it just may work temporarily". It's just a small crack and I would be using the glue on the outside of the plastic tube not on the inside.

Capo Cam 02-20-2009 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by JTapper (Post 145039)
The tank is part#30723930

Thanks, but it is actually the plastic tube underneath the tank itself that i need. I will be installing VADIS tonight so I should be able to find the # after I get the install on my PC.

andrei3333 02-20-2009 06:28 PM

lol

no worries dude

yeah i got some loctite 330 on mine now, its cracked again in a lower spot, and i think i got a guy who is parting out an s80 so i will guy his used tank...

but yeah, if your computer explodes you wount be able to write me any hate mail lol

Capo Cam 02-21-2009 01:57 AM

Originally Posted by andrei3333 (Post 145048)
lol

no worries dude

yeah i got some loctite 330 on mine now, its cracked again in a lower spot, and i think i got a guy who is parting out an s80 so i will guy his used tank...

but yeah, if your computer explodes you wount be able to write me any hate mail lol

Oh yes I will, this is only 1 of my 5 PC's ... lol ... you know I'm just messin around ... It's actually installing as I type this, about 70% complete, I forgot how darn long and massive the program was! Good thing when I upgraded I went with a 1 TG (1000 gigabite) hard drive. I don't think I will ever be able to fill this HD up .. lol

Capo Cam 02-21-2009 03:05 AM

Got it loaded and the PC is still up and running..lol. Found the part I need #30680924 Filler Hose. I just google'd it and I could have bought it new for the price of 1 container of coolant...go figure!

Capo Cam 02-21-2009 11:47 PM

I figured it out today. After a closer look it was the rubber hose that comes off the bottom of the resivoir that was leaking. Obviously someone had tried to repair it before with an el-cheap-o hose clamp and that is where the leak was coming from. It was leaking down onto the pipe I was talking about (the one I thought was cracked). So I went to Autozone and spent a whopping $1.36 on a new hose clamp, cut about a quarter inch off the rubber hose where the hole was, slid the hose back onto the resivoir elbow on the bottom and tightened down the new hose clamp. Presto, no more leakage ::knock on wood::