Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Did I just make a mistake 2001 Volvo S80

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Did I just make a mistake 2001 Volvo S80

I just (like 5 hours ago) bought a used Volvo S80 (2001 with 146,000 miles). I'm not very smart when it comes to cars and such so I googled this car AFTER I bought it. It's got a few common volvo cheap plastic interior issues, and the back door on the drivers side will not open from either side.

All that I can fix myself or live with, my major concern is what I am hearing about the transmissions. The guy I got it from was like the 4th owner or something and didn't have any service records. I carfaxed AFTER I bought it (dumb I know) and there are no records of the transmission ever being repaired or replaced.

I took the car on an extensive test drive and noticed no issues with the motor or transmission as far as shifting and accelereation.

I paid $3800.00 and I am feeling a TON of buyers remorse. Am I right in this? Is the fact that the car has so many miles and still runs well a good sign? I am a student and really just need the car to last me a couple of years until I get done.

Any response good or bad would be appreciated. Wondering if I should slap a for sale sign right back on the car.

Thank!

Old 01-09-2011, 09:29 PM

Maybe not. Remember there are problems with all cars. Just look how many new ones get recalled. I just got done with an expensive engine oil problem due to nobody changing oil frequently enough, us or the previous owner so you might want to check into sludge build-up. Basically I figured the previous owner got fed up with an accumulation of little problems and had some of them fixed to sell. The bigger problem surfaced after we had it about 3 years. It could be you paid a fair price and that you can get through school, but then not be able to sell it again for very much. Cars are all gambles but I hope at least you got this one because there was something about it you liked so hang on to that aspect. I've had no transmission problems as yet.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by sadsakk
Maybe not. Remember there are problems with all cars. Just look how many new ones get recalled. I just got done with an expensive engine oil problem due to nobody changing oil frequently enough, us or the previous owner so you might want to check into sludge build-up. Basically I figured the previous owner got fed up with an accumulation of little problems and had some of them fixed to sell. The bigger problem surfaced after we had it about 3 years. It could be you paid a fair price and that you can get through school, but then not be able to sell it again for very much. Cars are all gambles but I hope at least you got this one because there was something about it you liked so hang on to that aspect. I've had no transmission problems as yet.
Thanks friend. I've been feeling like my guts were ripped out for the last hour. How many miles does yours have if I may ask.
I passed on an 01 BMW 525i because I thought it would be too expensive to maintain, didn't realize Volvo's have the same needs.

I got on google to try and figure out my door issue and begin to read about all the problems these things have. I plan on taking it to the local volvo place and have them do a good once over on it. Hopefully the oil has been changend and the transmission has been atleast serviced a few times. When these things start to go out is it an all of a sudden thing, or will it give me some warning? How much is the average "tune up" inspection at a volvo dealer?

Old 01-09-2011, 09:55 PM

I bought a 2001 S80 a little over a year ago and I love it. I have had it in the shop twice though and its going in again this week. The problems are just the result of having a car that is almost 10 years old (O2 sensor, o-ring on power steering pump, spring seats). I read the reviews online just before buying the car and almost backed out tbh, but mine only had 89k miles and a clean record so i had a good feeling about it. It is about to break 100k miles in the next week or 2 and there are some minor defects in the interior (mostly in the leather), but the car runs great. It is definitely a good idea to take it to a mechanic for a tune-up, but I will warn you it will be expensive. Your best bet is to find an independent mechanic. Hope this helps!

Old 01-09-2011, 10:10 PM

Originally Posted by chlacrosse14
I bought a 2001 S80 a little over a year ago and I love it. I have had it in the shop twice though and its going in again this week. The problems are just the result of having a car that is almost 10 years old (O2 sensor, o-ring on power steering pump, spring seats). I read the reviews online just before buying the car and almost backed out tbh, but mine only had 89k miles and a clean record so i had a good feeling about it. It is about to break 100k miles in the next week or 2 and there are some minor defects in the interior (mostly in the leather), but the car runs great. It is definitely a good idea to take it to a mechanic for a tune-up, but I will warn you it will be expensive. Your best bet is to find an independent mechanic. Hope this helps!
Define expensive....lol! I planned on spending 5k on a car and I only paid 3800.00 for this one so I don't mind paying 150-200$ to get it checked out. I realize now that volvos need "special love" just like any other luxury brand.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:26 AM

you're probably suffering from both--buyers remorse and a car not built very well.

I too have a 01 S80 with 145K miles, and issues above are common. I've hit most...
O2 sensors
ABS module
Spring seats
plastic parts breaking everywhere
sunroof issues
ETM issues

However the transmission on 01 are much better that 99, 00. I've not had any issues with mine.

Hard to say if the above have been fixed--most likely they have been encountered.

Hang in there, if you can do some of the maintenance yourself, you can save tons of cash. This is a great forum for support and repair tips.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by mustang
you're probably suffering from both--buyers remorse and a car not built very well.

I too have a 01 S80 with 145K miles, and issues above are common. I've hit most...
O2 sensors
ABS module
Spring seats
plastic parts breaking everywhere
sunroof issues
ETM issues

However the transmission on 01 are much better that 99, 00. I've not had any issues with mine.

Hard to say if the above have been fixed--most likely they have been encountered.

Hang in there, if you can do some of the maintenance yourself, you can save tons of cash. This is a great forum for support and repair tips.
Thanks bro. I'm going to quit agonizing about my purchase. The car runs really good, sunroof works fine and it looks like the timing belt was changed at 111k (148 on it now). I have an issue with the blower motor, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The rear driverside door doesn't open, I think i can tinker with that myself, and the passenger side window is off track somehow. A couple cosmetic issues I can slove (aready ordered a center console replacement lid for $60, and the driver side seat is pretty beat up. A couple cheap plastic parts crumbled in my hand, but I'm hoping my local pull-a-part (junk yard) has a volvo like mine I can get some stuff from. I paid 3800 and had a 5500 budget and really only need this car to last a couple years and maybe 30k to 40k miles. Thanks for yall's input. I am not mechanically inclined at all. I can change oil and tires and that's about it. I hope some things that go wrong I can do or my local trusted mechanic can help.

Old 01-10-2011, 04:38 PM

Don't know if I'm allowed to plug but you could google Click & Clack the Tappett Brothers. A hilarious pair in Cambridge MA that have a serious side, they help anybody get their cars running well for a fair price. You can use their web site to find a better mechanic in your area.

Old 01-10-2011, 08:35 PM
ed7
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Car Talk's mechanics Files http://www.cartalk.com/content/mechx/
I didn't know about the trans situation until after I bought mine last year w/175,000mi.

The problem was transmission control module programming from the factory that caused the trans to lunch itself. This was corrected by a reprogram which your Volvo dealer should be able to tell you about for no charge. I'd be more afraid of it having so many driver before you.

Buy a Haynes manual and become familiar with IPD and FCP Groton as well as the many good salvage yards around the country. Here's a good site for the maintenance basics. http://www.freewebs.com/howardsvolvos/
I'm still happy with my purchase. I love my wagons.
Ed

Old 01-10-2011, 09:45 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The problem is that Yes these cars drive very smooth, strong on the high way, stop on a dime. blah blah the usual european story. But thats all deception...

Let me tell you one thing, stop wasting money on interior plastics that dont matter. Save you money for when something really breaks.

Does the car have any leaks? is it burning oil ? is it burning coolant ? checked/replaced the plugs ? Timing belt ? check your air filter, replace the fuel filter its easy, just spend money where it matters, broken plastic console doesnt matter when you car doesnt run well.

The tranny most likely has never been serviced because volvo never recommended any service for some reason, even though there is a filter in there (guess they were not expecting these cars to last more than 150KM. Never go the a volvo dealer for anything unless you need parts that you cannot get online or at a parts store, they will rape you there - any chance they get.

Find a private mechanic who deals with euro cars and get them to do at least an oil and filter change. check the brakes, brake lines, tie rods, check for steering leaks. blah blah, now thats money well spent

Old 01-11-2011, 12:30 AM

Thanks for all the tips. I did have a success today. I fixed my door issue!!!! I took the panel off the door that worked to see where the release thingie was and then unscrewed the screw on the other one and forced the top of the broken door panel off (while the door was shut mind you). Got the door to open by pushing the release thingie and immediately TURNED off the child safety lock. I saw that the rod from the outside handel goes into this strange plastic clip that holds it to the release thingie. Needless to say the plastic clip had broken and that was the issue. I used a zip tie to reattach the rod to the clip and i'm back in business!!! score one for me.

I posted in another thread that I'm planning on taking the car to the dealer for a blower motor issue. Some here have said not to take the car to a dealer except for some things. Can you guys list some things that are dealer worthy and things that I should try myself or take to another shop besides a dealer?

Old 01-12-2011, 07:43 AM

Ha, I fixed the same door problem the same way, plus another door connection that has the same connector. As for the blower, is it a whirring noise when slowing down or speeding up? On ours this apparently is caused by worn blower bearing/s, yet another common problem. Trouble is it would cost a fortune to replace $10 bearings, have to dismantle the dash which takes hours of labor time. I'm still trying to discover a way to expose them enough to spray lubricant in there to see if that buys me some quiet.

Generally my mechanics, who work on emergency vehicles plus personal cars, have been most frustrated by Volvos uncooperativeness with specification data and more so computer code diagnostic information. If a ball joint or muffler is shot that's one thing, but most electronic and engine performance issues often leave them drawing on experience with similar cars. When they were fixing our oil pressure problem, they could not get one Volvo shop to say what the oil pressure spec was so they just took their best estimate. You can always take it to a dealer, and for whatever fee they charge to work up an estimate they will list out seven hundred things that need fixing and/or servicing. Then you just scroll down to the thing you came in for today, point and say, "how 'bout this one just for now?". Then you can chip away at the list as you please. I think i'ts funny that the two big non-Volvo repair places around here basically admit that they know what they know from years of subterfuge, back room deals, and hiring an ex-Volvo guy or two. Didn't know you were becoming involved with such dark intrigue did you?

Old 01-12-2011, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by sadsakk
Ha, I fixed the same door problem the same way, plus another door connection that has the same connector. As for the blower, is it a whirring noise when slowing down or speeding up? On ours this apparently is caused by worn blower bearing/s, yet another common problem. Trouble is it would cost a fortune to replace $10 bearings, have to dismantle the dash which takes hours of labor time. I'm still trying to discover a way to expose them enough to spray lubricant in there to see if that buys me some quiet.

Generally my mechanics, who work on emergency vehicles plus personal cars, have been most frustrated by Volvos uncooperativeness with specification data and more so computer code diagnostic information. If a ball joint or muffler is shot that's one thing, but most electronic and engine performance issues often leave them drawing on experience with similar cars. When they were fixing our oil pressure problem, they could not get one Volvo shop to say what the oil pressure spec was so they just took their best estimate. You can always take it to a dealer, and for whatever fee they charge to work up an estimate they will list out seven hundred things that need fixing and/or servicing. Then you just scroll down to the thing you came in for today, point and say, "how 'bout this one just for now?". Then you can chip away at the list as you please. I think i'ts funny that the two big non-Volvo repair places around here basically admit that they know what they know from years of subterfuge, back room deals, and hiring an ex-Volvo guy or two. Didn't know you were becoming involved with such dark intrigue did you?
LOL no I didn't, but that's america today, right? HA

Well for 89$ they did a used car inspection and as far as my blower issue they say is the regulator and that the blower motor is not far behind, they want 800$ to fix both....I passed (its not making a noise, its just working intermitently(sp)) i can live with that for now, the weather is just right so if i'm hot I can just roll the window down, and if I'm cold, well, its got heated seats so at least my butt will be warm. I did approve them to replace the vent box. It's a 600$ repair, but I don't want to risk my gaskets blowing. Between that and the inspection i'll be out of there under 750$ and my car will be in good shape. He said he had a short list of things that needed fixing but admited that they were things I could do myself if I were so inclined. So I will be using the search feature on the forums to hopefully find instructions to my fixing projects!!!!!

Old 01-12-2011, 09:50 PM

Your attitude alone should see you through. I always enjoy any car that starts when I want it to.