Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Drained the tranny and rust proofed the car today

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 09:42 PM
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Drained the tranny and rust proofed the car today

Went to my good buddy who has a shop, dropped the pan replaced the filter, the oil was brownish and definitely in need of changing. The filter was replaced too and we left the little o-ring plastic thingy in there because i knew of the problem you guys had on here, new filter went in easy, piece of cake. Reused the OEM gasket which looked really well designed with a double edge lining to keep the oil from leaking. Good surprise that the pan magnet had only a small amount of fine dust on it, no major metal filings or particles, which is awesome...

I only drove home ( about 10 minutes - not even ) but it does feel smoother, even shifting from drive to park and back feels softer, i definitely recommend this to everyone, volvo is dumb for saying this service is not needed, all fluids deteriorate with time and this is no exception. i put in 5 litres of Max Life valvoline atf its synthetic and the rest (about 3 - 3.5 litres ) was my remaining castrol import atf . the fluid i got for cheap another buddy did not use as much as he bought so that Valvoline jug was still sealed...

Also while the car was in the air i got some Loctite Maxi Coat rust protection wax, took about 3 cans to spray the whole underside of the car and inside the fenders, still have some left for the engine bay and trunk will do tomorrow, my legs are falling off now...that wax stay's on thick and does not run down, supposed to last 2 years, but ill reapply next year probly...all in all im happy with the results, BUT

found new problems, right steering rack boot is kinda ripped, i retied it with an extra hose clamp,. but that has to be changed. some play in the wheels a little, so thats the inner or outer tie rods, maybe a ball joint on the way out...gona fix that later, before i get new tires and alignments

sorry for the long post, im happy with my car ;-)