Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

First generation S80 T6 oilseal replacement Turbo oil return line

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2020, 05:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default First generation S80 T6 oilseal replacement Turbo oil return line

Good day everyone,

I wasn’t able to find a good “How to” on this topic, so I decided to start one. Please feel free to correct me where ever possible and make this topic leading in How to replace the oilseal from the turbo return line, that sits in the oil pan.

I’m from The Netherlands 🇳🇱 and I’m the owner of a Volvo S80 T6 from 2001 with, at this moment, 355.810 kilometers of history. It is equiped with a LPG installation.

since a few months now, I noticed a small spot of oil under the car. It seems to be coming from the driverside turbo return line. According to many forums worldwide, it is a well know problem and in most cases easy to fix. Except for those who own a T6 with a geartronic. Apperently it is a real pain to acces the turbo on the driverside (cilinder 4,5&6).

what I learned so far and this is the part where I’m not sure and need some more information and help on;
- remove engine strut
- remove turbo heatshields
- remove y-part exhaust heatshield
- remove torx/allen bolt return line (back) from the topside.
- remove torx/allen bolt return line (engine side) from underneath the car
- remove return line
- replace seal and lubricate with silicon grease
- replace gasket
- reinstall return line in oil pan first
- tighten torx/allen bolts (nm??)
- install Heatshields
- install engine strut

this is what I found so far. Any tips/trics/advice/corrections on this How To????

The following users liked this post:
Theo111103 (02-28-2023)
Old 04-01-2020, 05:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by grafted
Has anybody done the substitution of the 'o'ring seals (and obviously the little gaskets at the spine joints) for the oil return lines on the 1999 S80 T6?<br>If things being what they are, is it important to do it during an oil change? for example Should it be possible without similtaneously doing the oil change. for example would any more oil slick from the arrival lines if the oil can't from the oil container/channel? I can't see that it would have any effect yet in the event that anybody has any understanding/remark, if you don't mind let me know.<p>And can all the work be done from over the motor or does some of it must be done from underneath the vehicle?<p>Thks,<br>Dwight
Hi there. I’m afraid to say, I haven’t done anything about my oil leak so far. Still planning to do so myself.
unfortunately a very quiet forum and no reactions so far. Hopefully you have more luck and if you have, please share any info with me.

Old 01-27-2023, 02:12 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi RobSir,

have you finally changed the cyl 4, 5, 6 turbo oil return line gasket ? I have the same case as you. Any information would be appreciated !

Old 02-28-2023, 07:42 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1 2002 S80T6 :550K kM: left Turbo oil return line lower-end Seal replacement.

Hi RobSir

Theo here, Netherlands as well.
Like on your car, mine starts leaking bodyfluids
by now, which in itself, looking at it's mileage, certainly is no reason for blaming the car and the concept of design. Although the Serviceability is low on the turbo-side of the Engine, still, with a lot of gymnastics, light shedding from 3angles, the phone's camera, some creativity and elbow-grease, the job can be done whilst keeping the engine in bay.

I had just refurbished and re-installed the right ( passenger side ) turbo an as a reward i noticed
cooling fluid and oil seeping out of the left turbo
after starting. You can imagine my excitement: I am now given the opportunity to pull the other turbo, what a joy!! Anyways: i had some sort of epiphany when mentally goong over the process: The left turbo has an almost straight oil return line: the challenge lies in the stupid flange-seal with these two bolts sticking through that you are almost not able to reach without extreme joint flexibility tests.

epihany: what if i just lift out the turbo straight up and do the seal install first and re-install turbo with oilreturn line ad a whole?.

Well, i am about to test that , will keep you updated!

Originally Posted by RobSir
Good day everyone,

I wasn’t able to find a good “How to” on this topic, so I decided to start one. Please feel free to correct me where ever possible and make this topic leading in How to replace the oilseal from the turbo return line, that sits in the oil pan.

I’m from The Netherlands 🇳🇱 and I’m the owner of a Volvo S80 T6 from 2001 with, at this moment, 355.810 kilometers of history. It is equiped with a LPG installation.

since a few months now, I noticed a small spot of oil under the car. It seems to be coming from the driverside turbo return line. According to many forums worldwide, it is a well know problem and in most cases easy to fix. Except for those who own a T6 with a geartronic. Apperently it is a real pain to acces the turbo on the driverside (cilinder 4,5&6).

what I learned so far and this is the part where I’m not sure and need some more information and help on;
- remove engine strut
- remove turbo heatshields
- remove y-part exhaust heatshield
- remove torx/allen bolt return line (back) from the topside.
- remove torx/allen bolt return line (engine side) from underneath the car
- remove return line
- replace seal and lubricate with silicon grease
- replace gasket
- reinstall return line in oil pan first
- tighten torx/allen bolts (nm??)
- install Heatshields
- install engine strut

this is what I found so far. Any tips/trics/advice/corrections on this How To????