Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Headlight Lenses

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2017, 09:46 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Lenses

Hey all,

I have a 2004 S80 with cracked headlight lenses (both side, left way worse than right). I've actually had this issue before, and fixing this problem in the U.S. is nothing short of highway robbery.

I had this happen last winter while I was on the road for work. I checked with both the local body shop and my dealership in my home city. They both maintained that I couldn't just buy a lens and that the headlight assembly kits cost $1,300 a piece (I have the stupid expensive glass kind).

I went through my insurance ($500 deductible) only to have them tell me that they replaced it for little more than $500 when I picked the car up. I asked them how, and they said their distribution channels allow for that or whatever. What?!

Now, it happened to me while I was on the road again, this time to both headlight lenses. (The left is a bunch of cracks stemming from one impact point while the right weirdly has a loose piece of glass chipped off on the inside but no real cracks on the outside.) I've been just letting it ride because of how ridiculous the pricing is, but we're having an extremely unusually rainy spring where I live. This is causing moisture to seep in to the left headlight and cause it to malfunction until it gets a chance to dry out.

Long story short, I'd like to fix these, but not for the absurd amount of money the mechanics and insurance companies want to hit me for. I JUST NEED THE LENSES FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!! NO BULBS OR ANYTHING ELSE OF THAT NATURE, JUST THE LENSES!!!

I have been googling the part, and there may be some available online, but given my prior experiences, I'm extremely skeptical and don't want to buy the wrong part, etc.

Fellow Volvo enthusiasts, what would you do in my situation? Are there any websites you would actually trust for this specific part? I mean there has to be a way around this blatant disrespect to the customers by Volvo.

And yes, I realize I can get both headlights fixed for the $500 deductible, but I'd like to avoid raising my premiums. Also, I refuse to believe such a simple part and problem can't be fixed for cheaper, despite what the Volvo dealerships, etc. keep trying to tell me. Please help!

Old 06-05-2017, 12:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

What specific model S80 do you have? do you have something special like Xenons? I did a search on a dealer parts website (Tascaparts.com) and saw where you can buy the whole assembly for $280 for halogens per side and $537 for Xenon HIDs per side.

Old 06-05-2017, 12:50 PM

Just an AWD 2004 S80. I don't know of any specific model or anything like that, but I do have those wildly overrated xenons.

That $537 would be consistent with what the insurance company found but I'm feeling like rolling the dice on just some lenses that I find online. I'm fundamentally against having to buy complete headlight installation kits (again) for such a simple problem. It's a design flaw in the vehicle (brittle glass headlight lenses, geniuses? Really?) that Volvo wants to nickel and dime their customers for, and I don't feel like being had for a second time.

Old 06-06-2017, 05:37 PM
Super Moderator
Received 502 Likes on 482 Posts

dunno about brittle glass as this doesn't seem to be a regular topic so it may be bad luck or there could be something specific to the HIDs that are different from the halogen lenses, but its a composite unit so no replacement lenses shown. You may want to search car-parts.com for some used assemblies - should be able get in the 250-350 range.

Old 06-14-2017, 03:22 AM