Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

How to fix Sunroof Noise & related problems

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2007, 04:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to fix Sunroof Noise & related problems

After getting advise from Tech, I fixed my sunroof within 30 mins.

Of course, you will need Torx Screw Driver. If you plan to do any fixing with your Volvo, you should have a set of these available.

Symtoms, my sunroof makes noise and the sunroof looks lower than it should be. FYI, if you hear noise when driving on uneven roads, you should check for sunroof noise. You can probably hear it when you close your door, make sure the cover is opened so you can hear it.

There are 2 metal support bars GLUED to the front and back of your sunroof GLASS. When these get partially loose, they rattle against the glass and make noise. The is a known issue, I suggest you check yours to make sure one day it doesn't fall completely off when you open your sunroof and hit you or fall off in the back of your roof to cause expensive repair.

Solution for Noise: You can rip these bars off and put it away. (FYI, I ripped the front one off mine, but will attempt to glue it back when I have time. I will report back if I can successfully glue it.) They are there for additional support to your glass. I wouldn't feel comfortable if I have to rip both of them out. Your calls. I would blame it on bad design, but they are there for a good reason.

Sunroof Lowered or Loose: When you looked at the top of your roof, the sunroof should be somewhat leveled to the roof, mine wasn't. There are 2 torxes screws on each SIDE of your sunroof that hold the glass in place. You won't see it until you remove the shield from it. When looking at it, you will see the folded shield, they are held in place by 3 clips (you can't see them) against the glass at 2 both ends and 1in the middle. Use what ever you can to pull the very top out from the clip locations (I used my fingers, but you can use a hair tweezer or something like that). You only need to pull out the top part against the glass and not the whole thing. Then you can fold that piece toward you and you will see the screws. It's easier if you lift up (open up)your sunroof to remove this shield. But you have to close it to tighten the screws since that's the only way you can tell if it's level or not. It would help if you have someone standing outside telling you the level (I had to get in and out of the car many times to eye it). Afterward, just push the shield back into place.

This is a detail instruction, so you will know what I'm talking about when you actually doing it. Save some money, do it yourself. Hope it helps!

Old 03-30-2008, 03:24 PM
Default RE: How to fix Sunroof Noise & related problems

Thanks go2sharks - I had a loose sunroof as well and it wasn't obvious on how to access the screws. Your post helped a lot. This forum is of imense benefit for these types of things!

George

Old 04-01-2008, 06:49 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default RE: How to fix Sunroof Noise & related problems

Glad it is all fixed now.

Old 04-14-2011, 03:08 PM
Default Sunroof rattle - When nothing else works

Okay - I have an 02 s60. Sunroof was rattling like crazy when shut only. It would not rattle when tilted up. WHen you pushed on the glass when closed, you could feel play in the mechanism. When you pushed on the glass when tilted, no play. All four bolts holding the glass on were TIGHT. No brackets were "unglued" or anything like that. I became convinced that the play in the system was simply related to worn rails or worn mechanism. I determined my only chance at avoiding major $$$$ to replace the rails was to loosen the 4 screws holding the glass to the mechanism that are behind the accordian things, move the rear of the glass to the lowest adjustment (toward the bottom of the car) and then drive with the tilt slightly actuated. The adjustment was to make the top of the glass match the roof when the tilt was slightly actuated.

Well, this did not work. when i finished, the ?(*&$#@! thing rattled in the slightly uptilted position. HOWEVER - it did NOT rattle in the fully down position!!!!! So now my rattle was fixed but the top of the glass was goofy relative to the top of the car. So I slowly started adjusting the glass upwards in the back, bringing it more even with the roof, hoping my rattle would not come back. i got it up to Volvo geek acceptable position with the roof, and PRAISE THE LORD - still no rattle!!!!!!!! BLESSED SILENCE on craterfilled minnesota roads on my thin as paris hilton 50 series tires.

So when all the usual forum fixes DO NOT FIX YOUR RATTLE, start playing with the attitude of your glass until your test drive is rattle-less.

A new glass gasket ($1XX from Volvo) or a new glass ($6XX from volvo) would probably reduce the amount of FINESSE you need to accomplish this fix. If anyone knows where to get these cheap, i would like to know.

Old 04-16-2011, 12:03 AM

It's been a long time since my little write-up. Many thanks to Tech for keeping up with everything on here and helping people out. I'm just an IT guy that likes to fix things including car repairs. I'm here again looking for advise/posts for fixing other problems this time.

Last edited by go2sharks; 04-16-2011 at 01:39 AM.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:32 AM
Default Sun roof opens past the closed point???

Hello to all, I see the streams of sun roof problems and need to try and fix one on my 2002 S80. My problem is my roof opens fine but, when I close the roof it seems to go past the normal closed position and goes to the tilted up position. Needless to say I have to always feel up on the roof and tap the button until it reaches the correct position. What happened was during a cold spell I went to open the roof and it was frozen shut and something went out of sequence. Has anyone dealt with this and can help me fix it? Thanks in advance. Roger B

Old 07-22-2011, 02:52 PM
Default S60 Sunroof Noise

I just purchased a pre-owned 2007 S60 and the sunroof is making a scaping noise when it retracts to the open position, and I think it could be due to the interior roof panel. Even that makes a scaping noise when I push it open or closed. Could it be off the rails/tracks? Anyone else have an issue like this?

Old 04-27-2012, 10:54 AM

I am having same "issue" with my 2002 v70 and I believe a clip is out of the track resulting in the scrapping noise for me...may be the same for you. But, I am not sure how to access the clip and replace or get back in the track as it is a VERY tight space so any help on that would be great from the forum. Thanks

Old 03-04-2014, 10:37 PM

I was wondering if you knew how to install a moon roof on a 2002 volvo s80 t6. My glass broke so i bought the whole assemble. I tried to research it cant find anything. Please help if you can. Thank you.