Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

instrument lights out

Old 08-26-2008, 07:01 AM
Default instrument lights out

I have a 2000 s80. The light on the three buttons that form the shape of a person on the climate controlare dim all of a sudden. The button to the right of them is also a little dim. Do I need to replace the bulb behind it? My brother left the signal lights of thefront and back on for a couple of hours yesterday. I know it sounds stupid, but could that have caused this?

Thank You

Old 08-30-2008, 10:59 PM
Default RE: instrument lights out

nobody can help?

Old 08-30-2008, 11:08 PM
Administrator

Not sure how easy it is to replace the bulbs never had to do it. But I have heard of the modules going bad just from unplugging them.

Old 08-31-2008, 12:27 PM

ORIGINAL: nertil1

I have a 2000 s80. The light on the three buttons that form the shape of a person on the climate controlare dim all of a sudden. The button to the right of them is also a little dim. Do I need to replace the bulb behind it? My brother left the signal lights of thefront and back on for a couple of hours yesterday. I know it sounds stupid, but could that have caused this?

Thank You
It doesn't seem like leaving the lights on should have burned them out.

Slim possiblility, but did he parhaps rotate the dimmer switch to a lower setting?

Anyway, here's how to change the bulbs (I want to work on my typing skills):

Ensure the ignition is turned off, and wait at least 3 minutes for any residual electrical energy to dissipate before commencing work.

With a pen holder in front of the gear/selctor lever panel

Using a plastic or wooden flat-bladed tool, carefully pry the penholder/panel below the center facia switches from place.

Depress the two clips and lift the gear/selector lever surround trim panel from place.

Without a pen holder in front of the gear/selector lever panel

Carefully pry up the rear edge of the gear/selector lever panel, and unclip the front edge.

Undo the two screws at the base of the switch panel, pull the lower edge of the switch panel rearwards, then pull the whole panel rearwards to unhook it from the panel above. Take care as the hooks are easily broken.

Rotate the bulbholder counterclockwise and pull it from the rear of the panel. The bulbs are integral with the holder.

Refitting is a reversal of removal.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:05 PM

Okay, I will have to try that. BTW, how can I figure out what bulb type I need to replace the old one?

Old 08-31-2008, 07:16 PM

ORIGINAL: nertil1

Okay, I will have to try that. BTW, how can I figure out what bulb type I need to replace the old one?
I think you need:

Instrument lighting - 3 Watt, size W 2.1x9.5d