Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

JUST PURCHASED S80 - SPEAKER QUESTIONS

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 11:50 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JUST PURCHASED S80 - SPEAKER QUESTIONS

I just purchased my first Volvo over the weekend. It was a used S80 in mint condition and I absolutely love this thing! I purchased it for my fiance as her daily driver as we have two other vewhicles, my 03 Ford Explorer Sport Trac (my daily driver) and a 01 Mustang GT (my "Sunday" car). Anyway, my question is: I have a 6-disc in dash CD player in my volvo with what i believe is the premium sound package? I need to know what size speakers come stock in this car so that I can replace them with upgraded aftermarket speakers. I need top know the rear sizes, door speaker sizes, upper door (possibly tweeters) size, and it looks like there is also a speaker in the center of the dash board as well? Thanks for any help in advance. I want to get this stereo sounding a little better for my fiance ASAP.

Thanks,

Cameron

Pics of my cars:

http://www.cardomain.com/id/CapoCam

Old 01-29-2008, 02:26 PM
Super Moderator
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: JUST PURCHASED S80 - SPEAKER QUESTIONS

The speakers in the car are pretty good speakers to begin with. Check the Electronics sub forum to see if you can find the information. A lot of online sites, like Crutchfield etc have a search option that will tell you the replacement size.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:00 PM

True, the stock speaker / sound system is not bad for a "stock" system. However, I always replace the systems in my cars with better aftermarket stuff. I checked Crutchfield already and called them (always my 1st option) but they never tested that car and told me they did not know the sizes. I will check the forum you mentioned.

Old 01-29-2008, 03:06 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hi Killa, may I ask what speakers you plan to upgrade it to? Normally, what is yor brand preference? I always considered myself an audiophile in every respect and always vowed that Il upgrae the sound in all my cars.. however when I got the s80, I actually realised that there was no need to for this vehicle, I found the sound quality to be even better than the aftermarket infinity's I added to my 96 accord.. I figured due to the number of speakers and the amount of work required, I would just leave it stock as is...
The choice is yours of course but you will need to use a really good system to trump the stock speakers.
I believe that the front door speakers are 6" with 1 1/4" tweeters, and the back deck speakers are 8" from what someone told me, but I could be 100% completely wrong about this.
Anyway, good luck

Old 01-29-2008, 03:32 PM

I have infinity in my Mustang and also my truck. However, I was thinking about going with Polk audio or Boston Acoustic's in the S80? Not sure yet. Of course I will be planning on adding an aftermarket AMP for the high's eventually and putting a sub in the trunk and an indash Alpine DVD player with headrest monitors like in my truck. Any help and all suggestions are appriciated. Thanks again, Cameron

Pics of my vehicles:

http://www.cardomain.com/id/CapoCam

Old 01-29-2008, 06:47 PM

I think the speaker size is actually 6.5", and a 1" titanium tweeter. I just replaced mine and thats what the Circuit city guy hooked up.

I have the jl450/4,jl 1000/1, jl 13w7 (ported box), jl cleansweep, 5 farad alumnapro Capacitor. All I can say is, I feel so bad for my car, lol the abuse and the dimming that my system causes.. I dont know how it holds together as well as it does lol, O wait maybe b/c its a volvo lol.

Old 01-29-2008, 09:31 PM

Hey Killa, i was just looking at the pics of your S80 and I could swear you stole mine haha, its practically identical to mine except for the plate, steering wheel cover and the age.. mine is an 02..
Anyway, good luck in your project and dont forget to update the pics when your done..
Im assume if someone was to change the HU, the 10 disc trunk changer would be rendered useless?

Old 01-29-2008, 09:39 PM

Actually, I just noticed a difference, I have the upgraded multispoke wheels from the T6 model... whoever bought it wanted the upgraded rims and features without the upgraded turbo (wierdo)...

Old 01-29-2008, 11:12 PM

I have a 2001 S80 and I liked the Bose speakers included; however I did get a 10" subwoofer Alpine Type E installed from Circuit City and I'll say those took careof any loose ends-the mid range speakers improved in sound (now that they didn't have to carry the deep tunes anymore) and the bass itself is nice.

Old 01-29-2008, 11:35 PM

Hey Whoo, which speaker system did you have? The 8 or 9 Piece ... ie did you have the HU-611 or the HU-801 headunit? I have the 611 without the centre channel speaker but if there is an easy way to upgrade to it, il take it... if not, the sound is great as is.

Old 01-30-2008, 11:03 AM

ORIGINAL: nicolaselias

Hey Killa, i was just looking at the pics of your S80 and I could swear you stole mine haha, its practically identical to mine except for the plate, steering wheel cover and the age.. mine is an 02..
Anyway, good luck in your project and dont forget to update the pics when your done..
Im assume if someone was to change the HU, the 10 disc trunk changer would be rendered useless?

LOL, thanks, oh and by the way the my fiance' stuck the "flowered steering wheel cover on there" I took it off the next day..lol

Old 01-30-2008, 11:06 AM

ORIGINAL: WhooFleuryScores

I have a 2001 S80 and I liked the Bose speakers included; however I did get a 10" subwoofer Alpine Type E installed from Circuit City and I'll say those took careof any loose ends-the mid range speakers improved in sound (now that they didn't have to carry the deep tunes anymore) and the bass itself is nice.
Good point, That was my main complaint was the muddy bass. But if I install just a sub then I can crank the bass down on the stock mids/highs! I will probably try this first seeing as how it would be more cost effective. If I'm not happy with that it will be back to the drawing board and finding the stock size mids/highs to replace. Thank you all for your insight and help.

Old 01-30-2008, 06:24 PM

Good to know it was your fiance's haha. Good luck with your project there, keep us posted on how it goes..
What I wanted to do if it isnt too expensive is add the centre channel speaker, upgrade to the HU-801 and install the amp under the passenger seat...
As far as I understand, the stock system with the HU-611 does not come with an amp even though I MAY BE completely wrong on this..
If i was to make this upgrade, would I lose control over my changer and steering wheel controls?
Thanks

Old 02-12-2009, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by WhooFleuryScores
Where exactly did that woofer got installed? Behind the seat, or in the trunk, orrr . . . .? Thanks.

BTW, 2002 S80 for me as well. Great car. Now I want the Volvo SUV, too. haha

Old 02-13-2009, 08:42 AM

the front and rear door speakers are oversized 6 1/2 inches and the rear deck speakers a 8 inch speakers. the center speaker is an oversized 6 1/2 inch all those websites are wrong. just to let you know. i got mine upgraded to memphis audio.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:55 AM

there is no tweeter in the upper door, it is just a filler that they make you think is a tweeter, front and rear doors are 6.5 and rear deck is a 7, the dash speaker i have no clue, but if you are putting in an aftermarket head unit you have to bypass the stock amp and that will bypass the dash speaker, so therefore if you are putting in an aftermarket head unit you will not need to replace the dash speaker since it wouldn't work

hope that helps you

Old 02-20-2009, 01:40 AM
Default sound only comes out the center dash

Music is soooooooo important to me. this is killing me, sound only comes out of the center dash!!! Do I need to get a new radio? or do you think it is the speakers/

Old 02-20-2009, 12:41 PM

Originally Posted by hitwriter
Music is soooooooo important to me. this is killing me, sound only comes out of the center dash!!! Do I need to get a new radio? or do you think it is the speakers/
Did you recently upgrade to the 801 cd changer from the 611 cd/tape unit? If so I think you need the amp installed because the 801 only powers the center channel.

Old 03-21-2009, 11:25 PM
Old 03-21-2009, 11:51 PM

WOW! Someone dug this one back up again..lol. BTW: I never did end up changing anything out from stock and I noticed I said it was an in-dash 6 CD but I think it actually 4 lol. My Mustang came with a 6-Disc indash.

Quick Reply: JUST PURCHASED S80 - SPEAKER QUESTIONS