Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   The mass air flow sensor (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/mass-air-flow-sensor-32495/)

gordon368 07-18-2009 07:37 PM

The mass air flow sensor

In the last 2 months I've needed 4 new mass air flow sensors. I am getting the same issue again, the car will fight to stall out with bouncing rpm revs... If they take a look at it Im sure they would say mass air flow sensor again, but Im concerned something else is wrong with the car.

The spark plugs were just changed ( I did them my self for the first time ! - really fun) with NGK plugs. They work great, but I think I may have tightened them a little too much :/, surprisingly the area in the spark plug was extremely clean! - like I didnt even have to clean the area. The irratic rpm revs were happening before the change of spark plugs.

Now inbetween all this Mass Flow Sensor replacement, They found corrosion on the ECM connections, so I believe that could be the culprit? which would explain the stall outs and bad rpm revs.

tech 07-18-2009 07:39 PM

That is possible or there is a big leak somewhere.

gordon368 07-18-2009 07:40 PM

wow tech that was fast lol, I just wanted to add that my Rear view mirror snapped at the joint, please tell me I dont need the new mirror and I just need the plastic pin that holds it to the roof...

gordon368 07-18-2009 07:41 PM

I do not notice any fluid under the car either tech.

tech 07-18-2009 08:48 PM

You might need a new mirror.

I mean a vacuum leak not an oil or coolant leak.

gordon368 07-20-2009 10:31 AM

turned out to be a crack in the throttle hose? is this easy to do? they said its plastic They said its located between the throttle body and something else.

tech 07-20-2009 07:10 PM

It is kind of a pain but you should be able to handle it.

gordon368 07-21-2009 05:39 PM

I feel really embarassed to say this ... lol.. Where is the throttle hose located, Im not even sure where the throttle body is ... What kind of tools will I need, is an hour suffice enough to do this? thanks in advance. (I mentioned this earlier, I've done my own brakes and rotors as well as spark plugs). I tried to search on the internet of how to do this but no luck. Thanks in advance

tech 07-21-2009 07:38 PM

The throttle body is under the intake manifold. It looks kind of like a rectangle with a white or yellow sticker.

gordon368 07-21-2009 08:07 PM

do I have to take the intake manifold apart to get to the piece Im going to change?

gordon368 07-21-2009 08:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
is this what I am going to ultimately replace?

tech 07-22-2009 06:46 PM

No the intake can stay where it is.

tech 07-22-2009 07:29 PM

Yes that looks like the one!

gordon368 07-25-2009 08:27 PM

Thanks for your help tech, I was able to do the repair, they ended up giving me the throttle hose for free. It also seemed to resolve the problem where I was having random fluctuations in my acceleration, feels more powerful too.

tech 07-25-2009 09:11 PM

Congrats on a well done job!

mstrplmber 08-31-2009 02:42 PM

Hi tech the Volvo dealership said I had a faulty MAF($411.00) on my 2001 S60 2.4t. I bought a new one from another source. I replaced with the exact same sensor. Before I changed the MAF the car was running good except I had a check engine light. Now the cars RPM surges while stopped and in drive. Can you help me with this? Is there a way to reset the check engine light as that was the only code I had? Do you reccomend premium fuel could this be the problem since I usually run regular. Thanks mstrplmber

tech 08-31-2009 07:52 PM

Use premium fuel.
Have the code cleared then reset the car by disconnecting the battery for 5 minutes.
The car needs to lean that a new sensor is in there.

mstrplmber 09-01-2009 12:04 AM

Resetting the code

Can anyone clear the code for instance, Auto Zone Or Oreilly's? All the information I have received from you has been right on the money. Thank You again!!!!!

mstrplmber 09-01-2009 12:06 PM

Hi Tech First I need to tell you I only replaced the sensor, is ther something else that needs to be done with the plastic housing? I went to a reputable mechanic here and was told the MAF that was installed was bad and I was dumping raw fuel in the C-converter which runs $3000.00 and they would not clear the code furthermore he said that disconnecting the battery would erase the memory in the computer. Sounds fishy to me. He suggested I put the old one back in. Is it normal when you replace a MAF that the car would run different and in my case worse than before the change. I have a friend that goes to Nascar Tecnical Institute who says he can clear the code. How can I tell if the MAF I installed is bad? Thanks again

tech 09-01-2009 07:03 PM

If he has a good scanner have him read the real time data on the sensor.
Try installing the old one and see if it gets better.

I never install the insert only because they are supposed to be calibrated to the housing.