Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum

Volvo Forums - Volvo Enthusiasts Forum (https://volvoforums.com/forum/)
-   Volvo S80 (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/)
-   -   New Computor?? HELP!!! (https://volvoforums.com/forum/volvo-s80-18/new-computor-help-50746/)

kennedy64 02-24-2011 01:44 PM

New Computor?? HELP!!!

I own a 2000 Volvo S80 T6 Turbo. Last summer, the transmission began getting stuck in 3rd gear if I used it in regular drive mode. If I use the "auto-shift" mode, it works better. In December, I drove the car home; two hours later it wouldn't start. So, the mechanic came and got it and diagnosed a dead "Camshaft Position Sensor". So, last Saturday he picked one up and installed it. Same problem; it wont start. So, he called today and I guess I need a new computor.

The price is $1,200, PLUS the cost of the software AND the 1/2 hour to program it. Does this $1,200 seem right? Will it "cure" the shifting problem, along with the check engine light? Oh, BTW, last year, I got stuck in a driveway due to ice. After an hour of trying to get "unstuck", I was so pissed, I got out of the car and slammed the drivers door. Hard. When I turned back around, I thought I would see a broken drivers-side window; nope! The side air-bag had deployed! Is THAT normal? Thanks for any input/advise you can give me.

jlewisinsyr 02-24-2011 02:24 PM

Is this a Volvo mechanic/dealership or just a local shop?

The airbag issue sounds really familiar, were you registered under a different name before? As for slamming a door while the car is running, yes, if you slam it hard enough, it could deploy the side airbag. Chalk that one as a lesson learned in anger control.

kennedy64 02-24-2011 02:45 PM

Hi, and thank's for replying.
He's a local guy who does really thurough work, but, no, he doesn't work for a Volvo Dealership.

And, nope, first time here. When I contacted Volvo last year, they didn't believe that just slamming a door would deploy the side air-bag.

Originally Posted by jlewisinsyr (Post 258248)
Is this a Volvo mechanic/dealership or just a local shop?

The airbag issue sounds really familiar, were you registered under a different name before? As for slamming a door while the car is running, yes, if you slam it hard enough, it could deploy the side airbag. Chalk that one as a lesson learned in anger control.

jlewisinsyr 02-24-2011 08:26 PM

My concern with people who are not trained on Volvo's, they often misdiagnose electronic issues.

JDusza 02-26-2011 12:47 AM

Just passing through and I see transmission lock up followed by no start.
I own an S60 and just went through these symptoms.
Started with transmission service required soon, tranny stuck in 4th gear, ABS service light followed by the complete shutdown.
This all occurred over the span of about 3 weeks.
Volvo service identified it as arcing within the TCM connector. The harness side was reterminated and the TCM side was cleaned.
About 1 month in with no problems.
Best of luck to you!!!