Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Newbie S80 owner /sucker

Old 09-25-2009, 09:23 PM
Default Newbie S80 owner /sucker

Before I write the post I'll save the real neg comments, I own a repair shop and pretty much knew what I'm getting into.

That aside I got a smoking deal on a 1999 S80 T6 I am aware of trans problems and issues with these early cars but this is my 3rd volvo (first 2 850 t-5s ) I will miss my last 97 t-5 220K great car but it finally got too tired to invest any more $ into it. Lucky for me We are good with Gm trannys and this one prob needs a rebuild. Just curious what are other major problems to look for or expect? Timing belt is being done before I drive it again. I'm on a tight budget so that's why I bought this car (only paid 500 for it) I love it's features and ride and it's much modernized from my 850s. Volvo finally made creature comforts more american style. I'll be glad to put a lot of info on here as I fix her up and I'm sure I'll be seeking a comuter tune and minor mods as well

Old 09-26-2009, 11:40 AM

well finally another person is here who wants to mod and post up write ups, i just hope someone can actually sticky stuff to the top of the page cause important info always gets lost here..

on the flip side, good deal at 500, now you can put the rest of the money that you saved towards fixing the car,, these cars have a lots of major problems...

Last edited by andrei3333; 09-26-2009 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by autowizzard View Post
I'm on a tight budget so that's why I bought this car (only paid 500 for it) I love it's features and ride and it's much modernized from my 850s.
Since you own your own shop, then you will save lots of money on labor and parts. Unf. the S80 has a bad reputation out of the Volvo line up. If you are a good mechanic then you shouldn't have many issues as you can resolve them your self. Just be aware of those cars and possible continuous issues... Be on the lookout for member "tech", he's our resident Volvo tech and might be able to steer you in the right weay with the S80.... BTW, at $500 bucks, that's a STEAL! Welcome aboard..............

Originally Posted by andrei3333 View Post
i just home someone can actually sticky stuff to the top of the page cause important info always gets lost here..
If a good write up is made, PM a moderator or the administrator and have them "sticky" the write up as to not get lost!

Old 09-27-2009, 11:58 AM

Somthngfrce is right. I just had to replace two of the most important mods on the car, and I still have a little bit more to go before it is completely fixed.

I bought mine for $5000 (which at the time was $3000 less than what KKB was saying.) and I kinda got screwed by the person who sold it to me, but hey you live and learn, and I am defiantly coming out on top when this is all said and done. I will make sure of that.

Also just out of curiosity what mods are you going to do to it?

Old 09-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Default Well first things first

First off I'm doing what many call stage (0) Timing belt, Tune up get the car running the way is should,It needs rotors, Sway links etc. Then I noticed twice a shudder on takeoff so I have a feeling a trans is due (with upgrades) I know these cars have trans problems but They are not really different than all the Gm's out there with the same trans and same problems. Once I get there I'm going hopeully find a tune for the ecu (had one on my 850 and was great) Prob figure out a cold air intake then some minor exaust work. I'll try to keep updated as it goes. I'm 80% normal driver but am an old street racer so I like the sleeper approach

Old 09-27-2009, 10:27 PM

well autowizz, there is already a cold air intake thread, just make a search for it...
After putting one on my accord I was determined to do the same for the accord, but the logistics of it just wasn't feasible, for me that is...

ECU retune can be done by IPDUSA, they supposedly have the best one, but of course the trans would need upgrading as it struggles to handle the torque already produced by the t6..