Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

P1238 Volvo S80 T6

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2016, 03:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P1238 Volvo S80 T6

Ok I have found the codes that I pulled before buying the car,
I bought the car with a parasitic drain on the battery.
The alternator was the culprit of that, but since it drained the codes were cleared.

I could run it to see what will come back but I'm hesitant to hurt the engine.

My issue is to start the car I got to push on the gas pedal and make sure that the engine will rev up enough then I can let off the gas and it drops idle to around 500-600rpm.
It becomes really rough and shaky the whole inside of the car shakes at that point.

I'll list all my codes now
P1238 - This one I hear is a Turbo Control Valve code, however read that the actual issue for people is with their MAF and after replacing it the code and issue was gone.

P0031 O2 SENSOR CIRCUIT LOW BANK 1 SENSOR 1
P0037 O2 SENSOR CIRCUIT LOW BANK 1 SENSOR 2
P0134 O2 SENSOR NO ACTIVITY BANK 1 SENSOR 1

P0051 O2 SENSOR CIRCUIT LOW BANK 2 SENSOR 1
P0057 O2 SENSOR CIRCUIT LOW BANK 2 SENSOR 2
P0154 O2 SENSOR NO ACTIVITY BANK 2 SENSOR 1

P0300 RANDOM/MULTIPLE MISFIRE (I think this is when I attempt to force the 500rpm up to where it gets smooth 800+ rpm and the engine stutters at times which I'm 100% sure its a miss, however at 500rpm it is NOT missing the shake and vibrations are steady and after 800+ rpm the engine is also steady its just stumbling as I attempt to force it up to were it should idle)

P0236 TURBO BOOST SENSOR CIRCUIT A RANGE/PERFORMANCE (I think this is because a hose was off my intake pipe when I bought the car. I will have to see when I test tomorrow)

Now, I have taken the fuel rail off, intake manifold, throttle body, changed the alternator, cleaned the PCV system (Haven't checked with glove test yet to see if the PCV needs complete replacement) and put it all together new seals and all that. (Cleaned the throttle body while it was off too, maybe not 100% perfect but It looked shiny and good to me)
I cleaned my MAF but haven't started it back up to see if that makes a difference.

My battery needs replacement, it wont hold power its drained to many times from the previous owner so every time i go to start it the codes are gone and Im not sure if the codes i pulled were active or stored from being cleared previously I forget.

Misfire should be my low/rough idle, Meaning I'm looking at probably spark or fuel. There is new spark plugs in it, the MAF was clean looking when I cleaned it but did anyways.

P0236 can probably be ignored until I get it to come back again because there was a hose that connects to my intake in 3 spots however it was disconnected just after the air box when I looked.
The 3 spots it goes are just after the airbox behind the MAF, then after the inter cooler then just before the injectors, so it seems connected to P0236 turbo code and it being off the pipe was probably what caused this code.

Does volvo throw codes like misfire in cylinder 2? that would be nice to have Since it says random/multiple misfire then maybe I should be looking at Fuel System and Air before spark?

I'm going to start it tomorrow and see if cleaning my MAF did anything and then see if I can get some brand new codes to come up for me. And also test the MAF while its running.
I expect the P0236 wont be back, hopefully P1238 doesn't come back either.

P0300 I think is the main issue right now anyways. It also leaves me with a vague idea of ways I can begin to narrow the culprit down.
P0135 and P0154 could be a issue too but those shouldn't cause P0300 or can they? No activity detected sensor 1 both banks.

I tested and all 6 injectors were 12.5 ohms resistance so they should all be ok.

Last edited by DonVanhugenstein; 09-01-2016 at 12:44 AM.