Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Parking Lights?

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 07:51 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Parking Lights?

My 2002 2.9 S80 front parking lights don't seem to work. I bought the car a few months ago and this is the first time I noticed that regardless of what position the light switch is on the front parking lights (they also are the turning signals which do work on both sides) do not go on. I tested the lights and this is the results:

Light switch position – 0 all side lights ,rear lights and head lights are on. The front lights next to the head lights (amber in color) are not on.

Light switch position – MIDDLE all side lights on, rear lights on. All front lights are off.

Light switch position – ON same as 0 position every light on except the amber front lights

The front turn signals do work for left and right.

Do the amber lights have a double filament and could it be that both lights bulbs need to be replaced?

Thanks

Old 09-23-2011, 11:38 AM

I'm trying to remember on the older S80s how the front lights are setup, but I know on the 2005, the side lights to the outside of the headlights only turn on as blinkers, there is a small inset light inside the headlight housing (high beam side) that acts as the parking light.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:42 PM

Sounds like you have replacement front turn signal lenses ,with a single fillament bulb, and two wire socket. I went to the bone yard to grab a double fillament bulb and volvo three wire socket .The replacement turn signal plug is three prong but if you look in the plug there is only two contacts Can you say Made in china! I think i also had to silicone volvo socket in china lenses ,you dont see it, it worked fine hope this helps.

Old 09-23-2011, 01:54 PM

I noticed a Volvo in my rearview mirror either an S60 or S80 possibly a year or two older than mine. It definitely had the amber lights that are where my turn signals are on along with the head lights. My concern is that I may have an electrical problem and not simply light bulbs

Thanks for the response

Last edited by Decimus; 09-23-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:26 PM

Referencing the Response from seefest:

If I understand you correctly all I need to do is check the wire sockets and see if they are two wire or three wire, if they are two then I replace them with three wire and the proper bulb and if they are three wire then I need to look further at the problem.

Thanks

Old 06-03-2016, 10:15 AM

I ran into this problem today while trying to replace my corroded socket. Yes, it was corroded due to using a cheap aftermarket lens that leaks like a sieve.

I ordered a new socket from Amazon, and when I went to install it, I noticed it has three conductors- which would be for a parking lamp and a turn signal. Mine only has two conductors- turn signal only.

I pulled the other side to see if maybe somebody retrofitted my car with something different, and it was two conductor also. However, upon closer inspection, I noted that there are three wires going from the harness to the socket!

This got me to thinking about the time I replaced a side marker lamp. Again, ordered from Amazon, and when it arrived, it was not like my original part. It was actually a flat side marker with a tiny bulb built in. My car has a side turn signal and uses a replaceable bulb and socket. The marker has a flat face, and the turn signal is rounded and protrudes from the fender.

its confusing to me for sure, but I suspect the type of socket and bulb used in the front corner turn signal housing depends on what kind of side marker or turn signal is used on the fender.

I'm tempted to replace both front turn signal sockets and bulbs so I can have "parking lights" as well as turn signals there.

Old 06-11-2016, 10:54 AM

Update: I decided to buy a bulb that had the two filaments and fit the socket.

The original turn signal bulb was a 7057 while the parking/turn signal bulb is a 2057A (A= amber). I plugged it in, started the car and viola, I now have a parking lamp, AND a turn signal. At least on one side. Of course, there is a parking lamp lens in the bumper cover just behind and below this turn signal lens. So double parking lamps on the drivers side.

Again, this was all caused by a cracked turn signal lens, replaced with the cheap "aftermarket" lens purchased online.

I have decided that one company makes both the Volvo OEM lens and these cheap aftermarket parts. The ones that pass the seal test go in a Volvo box. The ones that don't go in an aftermarket box. Win-win for the manufacturer- no spoilage. That my theory and I am sticking to it.