Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

A question about Fog Lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 05:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A question about Fog Lights

Well I have decided after I get new tires and fix the suspention, that I want fog lights in my fog lightless S80. I have fog lights on my former car now my dad's car that had fog lights and I loved them and when I saw that I could put some in my S80 I had wanting them ever since then. The things is that I don't know how to install them so I have a couple of questions.

1. If I were to buy a set of OEM Fog Light assembly kits off of one of the Modification sites, would I be able to put them in myself, or do I have to have a Dealer put them in? When I was in for my first oil change with the car I asked them how much would it be and if my memory serves me right I think they quoted me $450 for everything. It would be a lot cheaper if I could do it myself.... with instructions. LOL.

2. If I did it by myself, would the kits come with instructions?

3. What tools would I need to put them in?

4. What is involved when I am installing them? Would I have to disemble the dash to put the button in? Or worse have to re wire an entire section just to get them to work?

5. If there are no instructions, are there instructions online that I can Print out and use?

Thanks much!

Old 12-14-2008, 06:07 PM
Default RE: A question about Fog Lights

If your car is pre-wired for them I would go with the OEM ones from Volvo. The install is quick and easy. Just need a screwdriver and a few simple hand tools. After the hardware is installed just go to your local dealer or someone that has the capabilities to load up the software for it to work. I got my kit from OCV on eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110325214216

Pretty much all you have to do is to remove the air baffle. Install the lights with 3 screws. Put baffle back on. Under drivers pedals install relay. Then install fuses in drivers fuse box in cabin. Then Pop out the light control panel un-hook wire harness. Then pop cap off button for the light. Then install clear light and new switch cover/button. Then put control panel back in. Then install software.

Online instructions are here:http://vccs.volvocars.se/accessories/ii/search.aspx

I think the entire hardware upgrade was about 20 minutes, The software upgrade from the dealer took 3 hours….! Lol

Old 12-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I cant really answer all of your questions, but I did a similar thing on my 02 s80...

First, the fogs ARE NOT worth that much money... if you want the extra light, invest in a HID kit, if you just want fogs, look for something cheaper.... I hunted ebay and got a pair of mint condition used s80 fogs (genuine volvo) for $62

The other part you need are the switch cover, which is a custom order part.. normally, the switch is there, normally next to the fuel fl
ap open button... My s80 had the small half sized button but I accidentally ordered the large one first, which if you are lucky, is the correct one for your car...
https://volvoforums.com/upfiles/1455...9F2BD401D3.jpg
See that link and tell me if it is the correct one for you, I can send you it for free because there is no use me wasting it.... only catch is I'm not in the US at the moment, and wont be back for another 3 weeks to be able to send it...

https://volvoforums.com/m_91597/mpage_2/key_/tm.htm
On that page you find the info from VADIS about the part numbers.. if I remember right, the one you need is 9192145, which is what I mistakenly ordered when I really needed 8691532

The third part you need, is the fog lamp relay ... www.eeuroparts.com has it for $16.61 (Part Code: 9441161) and you will be hard pressed to find it any cheaper elsewhere..... You can also order the switch cover you need as a special order part by calling eeuroparts, just be sure to find out EXACTLY the right part number for it..

so, not counting labour, all the parts cost me about $100 or so...

Next step is the actual labour.. I am not sure what will be different because I had to change a headlight lens when I installed my fogs, but in my case we took off the front bumper and installed them, once again not sure if this is necessary for the fogs..
The switch cover fits onto the existing switch just my popping off the temporary useless cover.. and the relay goes just under the drivers pedals with the fuses down there (if I remember right)

Last thing you NEED, is to pay the dealer for a software upgrade for the car to recognise the fogs.. this is unavoidable and must be done.. Mine cost me $30 for the software and I think half hour labour, but I had them do some other things for me while they were at it..

Personally, do not bother letting the dealer install the fogs, just go to them for the software

I hope I was of some help because I try my best....

goodluck

Old 12-14-2008, 06:12 PM

Looks like I posted a dead link for the picture of the switch cover, see page 4 of the thread which I sent you the link on... ie. the one with the VADIS diagram

Old 12-14-2008, 06:59 PM

OK Thanks everyone! It looks like it will be easier than I thought! LOL I thought that I would have to take a fender off to wire it. LOL Oh one last thing how can you tell if it already is wired for it? If it is not wired for it I guess I would have to take it to the dealer then right?

Old 12-14-2008, 08:51 PM

Normal 0 false false false MicrosoftInternetExplorer4 Style Definitions table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:"; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;}

Old 12-14-2008, 08:53 PM

Look under the bumper were the holes are for the light assembly. You should see a wire harness not connected to anything. Sometimes they are tucked away.

I'm not sure about wiring a car without them.

Old 12-14-2008, 09:10 PM

I have never really heard about the car not being wired for it.. as far as I know all of them came wired...

always glad to help...
what you think you going to do about the parts?

Old 12-14-2008, 09:11 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

It isn't bad at all I installed nicolaselias's in my driveway in less than 1 hour including the headlight glass.

Old 12-14-2008, 11:19 PM

I am going to get them online unless if my boyfriend's cousin has them at his auto store. I would like to get OEM Fog Lights if I could, but I don't know if it comes with the switch. I found these http://www.vlvworld.com/indexframe.html?80/toc.htm but there is a factory instal one below that that is more expensive but I am afraid that is what I have to get. The thing is that I have a 1999 not a 2002 and I don't know why the switch is only for the 2002 model. I would try ebay but I was screwed by a seller on there and I don't trust it anymore.