Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Questions/Issues with Transmission - 1999 S80 T6

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2015, 09:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions/Issues with Transmission - 1999 S80 T6

Hello to all. I would like to introduce myself as I am a new Volvo owner and new to Volvo all together. I hope I am able to learn from you fine folks and eventually contribute with my expierences.

I recently bought a 1999 Volvo S80 T6 at Auction.....non-running. The reason it wasn't running is because it was a bankruptcy auction from a dealership and the keys were not present. I ordered a key from Volvo and picked it up today. Went by the auction yard and tried the key in the door lock, trunk, and ignition switch. Everything worked well, but of course the battery was dead. I'm going to go back in the morning with my trailer and winch it on to take it to the dealership to get the key "programmed" to the car. It is my understanding that the car will not start until the key has been programmed (and oh, boy what a price for the key and for the programming!!). I will also take along a fresh battery for it so the dealer will not have any trouble.

My question is this......I turned the ignition on earler and moved the shift lever into neutral to make sure the car would roll when we winch it on the trailer. I was able to push it, and it did roll. But I also noticed in Reverse and in Drive the car rolled as if it were in Neutral. Once I put it back in Park, it didn't roll and acted as if it were in Park like it should.

Now, is there something possibly wrong with the transmission since it rolled in Reverse & Drive like it was in Neutral? Or am I just overthinking things since the car wasn't running and the battery was dead? The reason it made me think is that I've heard these cars have transmission problems. I'm prepared to have to repair something on the car myself, but hope its not too expensive like needing a new tranny.

Please provide your input, advice, and expierence. Thank you!

Old 07-31-2015, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator
Received 71 Likes on 63 Posts

It will roll in gear.

Old 07-31-2015, 09:38 PM

Ok. So you're saying it is supposed to roll in gear as if it were in Neutral? I saw no difference when pushing it in Reverse, Neutral, or Drive.

Keep in mind that this is with the car not running. I haven't had the key programmed yet to see if it will run. Gonna trailer it straight to dealer to get it programmed tomorrow

Old 07-31-2015, 09:55 PM
Super Moderator

Not really sure about no difference at all. Never really tried it. But it will roll. You are correct though, those transmissions have issues, so prepare for the worst.

Old 08-01-2015, 03:05 PM
Default Got her home

Hey guys....I went this morning and winched her on the trailer then headed to the dealership to have the key programmed. Got it programmed and $165 later the car started right up!

Got home and started the car up and she runs (idles and revs up) perfect. I did notice that the engine will not rev past 2,000 rpm though. Is that a problem?

I unstrapped the car from the trailer and put it in reverse to see if it would move. Nothing....revved it and nothing. It almost acts like it wants to and the brake is on. It doesn't lurch but it feels like it is in gear.

Next I tried drive, nothing. Same thing as reverse.

Next I tried the individual gears starting with 1 then 2 then 3. Nothing.

I checked the transmission fluid and there was just barely some on the dipstick, so I added 1 1/2 quarts. Started the car back up and then nothing once again. Everything else on the car seems to work well (radio, blower...a/c wasn't cold idling, windows, locks, seats, etc.).

What do you guys think?? I need some help and advice.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:10 PM
Super Moderator

Probably needs a trans

Last edited by ES6T; 08-01-2015 at 06:24 PM.
Old 08-01-2015, 10:37 PM

The car was so cheap because it wasn't running at the absolute auction. The car didn't even have a key. No one knew what was wrong with it. It was a bankruptcy auction to where all of this persons items were auctioned to pay back the bank. Stuff always goes cheap at this particular auction because it's low-key. We bought a late model BMW 7 series last year for $4,200 that is an awesome car to drive. It only had 101,000 miles on it and is nice. I also bought a 2002 Chevy cavalier that runs and drives good with cold a/c for $175 at the auction with the Volvo. I mean...that's a good deal but it's still a cavalier. Haha. We are gonna "donate" it to our hired help for the farm so he won't have to be picked up each day

Old 08-12-2015, 07:51 PM

Got the car back from the shop. Has the tranny rebuilt at $1,600. Shifts and drives good now! Came with an 18 month warranty too! Unfortunately the car has some engine troubles now.

She had started up and idled good on the trailer and the guys at the shop said it ran good when they tried it.

I pull out on the highway when I left the shop and it would not accelerate and go above 10 mph. It was making a gurgling sound and seemed bogged down. I would ease in and out of the throttle and it really didn't change it much. It was just "stuck" where it was. I was moving but I felt it would die on me. I then pulled into a parking lot and thought about opening the hood. As I put it in neutral to rev the engine I notice it starts to fluctuate and surge. I put it back k. Gear and keep driving ......at a slow pace like its about to die but she keeps going. Then all of a sudden it just smoothes out and takes off acting normal. It did puff some dark black smoke (running Rich?) when it did this. Now I say it started acting normal is An understatement compared to what it was doing. The engine is still gonna need a good tuneup by the way it was responding.

Would like some suggestions as to what might be wrong. The transmission shop suggested replacing the motor mounts and I noticed the top one is 90% gone. That is on the list.