Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

S80 Right Drive Shaft Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 02:25 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S80 Right Drive Shaft Replacement

I have a 2004 S80 2.9 non-Turbo without a visco clutch (its front wheel drive only). The right (passenger) side drive shaft is leaking grease out of the inner portion of the drive shaft (the part of the shaft that is next to the intermediate bearing carrier). If you were replacing this drive shaft – would you opt for a new unit (made in China) with a 1 year warrantee or a re-built unit (heaven knows where the re-build took place) with a lifetime warrantee. I have priced a new from Volvo and they want over $500. While the new from europartsdirect.com goes for just over $100., re-Built units are available from Autozone, O’Reillys, Kragen etc. for about $60. What is your experience and what would you buy? Are there any tricks or things to watch out for while doing this job?
Thank you for your comments
placervillebob

Old 05-30-2012, 08:43 PM

I have a 2002 S80 non-turbo. Mine does not have the visco clutch. I cannot find a solid answer why some do and some dont. I do know it has nothing to do with being a turbo or not.

Replaced both shafts due to split boots slinging grease everywhere- what a mess! I got mine from Orileys. Lifetime warranty- for what its worth. I have maybe 10 to 15k on them, and they are fine. After opening up one of the old units, I can see why they are so durable, they are quite different than the old CV joints in my old VW Jetta and Audi 4000. This new design looks simpler, more durable.

Word of caution- one of the replacements I discovered had a bad carrier bearing. Found it after I got home. Took it back and they didn't have another at that store. Drove across town to get a replacement. After installing it, found it had bunged up threads where the axle bolt goes in.

Your supposed to use new axle bolts- by the way- as they have a dry thread locking compound on them. Well, I discovered the bunged up threads after my son said "dad, this bolt has gotten really tight and its not all the way in yet". Ugh, had to pull the shaft, and find another replacement and another bolt. Took a bolt with me this time and checked the threads in the store - and the bearing- before hauling it out.

I would still go with re-manufactured over "new Chinese". Even after all that. There may be something better, however. Like a new USA made replacement?

FCP Euro has Axle bolts are available for $3.75
and has a left drive axle for $89.00 (they dont show a right shaft...?)

Old 06-08-2012, 04:36 AM

A big thanks to this website and in particular this write-up. It has saved me loads of $$$ over the years. Just got done with axles, hubs, rotors and pads for the front of the an '03 V70. This write-up was right on the money. I just wanted to add some of what I encountered during the work.

I had trouble getting the drivers side axle out. I eventually tried another posters advice of using a weight at the end of the axle. This separated the axle for me and left just a small "black cup" sticking out of the transmission. I'm sure the slide hammer would have produced the same results. I wound up using a carpenters "wonder bar" nail puller to finally get it out.

Old 06-09-2012, 04:42 AM

I also used the "wonder bar" to pop the drivers side out. I had seen a drawing or photo of the Volvo special tool and thought about my wonder bar as being a near perfect substitute. I think I mentioned this in another thread on this subject.

BTW, I did not replace the shaft seals in the transmission. So far so good, but I probably should have done so. Still, it would have been quite a difficult job in my driveway- and much easier if the car was up on a lift.