Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Should I be concerned with buying a used volvo??

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2011, 01:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Should I be concerned with buying a used volvo??

Im looking at buying a 1999 Volvo s80 with a 2.9 engine.
I have driven volvo before when i worked at a dealership and love the feel of the ride, however I am concerned because the one im looking at has 147k miles?
I read some brief review that stated this year may have a problematic transmission?? Also heard the timing should be serviced every 70K and also heard that if you buy a used volvo its a good idea to have one thats dealer maintained.
I know most mechanic work and do most of my own work. My concern is I live in michigan where parts are less likely available and more expensive. The idea of buying a volvo for $2500 seems sweet but i dont want to have a transmission go bad that costs me that much.

So what im asking: Is this a reliable car for higher miles?, what are the things that need serviced? what can go wrong? Can i service this thing myself with the help of online forums? Such as reprogramming the computer if need be(is the timimg static or no)? other concerns??? Please let me know asap.
thanks,
Jon
Volvo Newb

Old 08-14-2011, 06:27 PM

current has an issue! The seller states that the last couple times they started the vehicle it started for a couple seconds then stalled. on the second start the car runs normally. she replaced the coil pack recently. The mechanic is now stating that the stalling issue is an O2 sensor. Would this issue cause this symptom? also would i be able to limp this car back to my home 2 hours away?

Old 08-14-2011, 06:36 PM

If you cannot confirm it's service record or unable to drop a lot of money on repairs that will creep up on a poorly maintained vehicle (engine/transmission maintenance), I would pass.

Common issues in the early S80's are:
Transmission Failure
Electrical (Various)
Suspension (creeks/rattles)
Timing Belt (make sure its been replaced)

Old 08-16-2011, 06:34 AM

The o2 sensor bad doesnt make the car to stalled. It seems it could be ETM problems maybe a cleaning or changing the ETM..

Old 08-20-2011, 12:05 AM

i went and looked at the car........ it was a mess. it was hard to insert key in ignition. when key is turned forward you could hear clicking noises coming from near the shifter. the car would turn over but not start, until multiple tries, then it would start. Engine idles and sounded nice, then idles bad after a minute and stalled. also there was some deal where the AC was working and you could get the car to start, when the ac would not work then the radio would work and the car wouldnt start. Between the clickling noises, the A/C and Radio intermitantly not working at the exact opposite times.. i figure an electrical issue... on top of that, the oil light was on and also the abd light and also a service message about brakes...... wow and the car was repainted.....

Old 08-21-2011, 05:30 AM
Thumbs up

Run run run as fast as you can from the car its a endless money pit

Old 08-22-2011, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by diehardgator1
Run run run as fast as you can from the car its a endless money pit
2nd that!

Old 08-22-2011, 08:31 PM

Are all volvos a money pit, that is the real question.... I just hear "dealer maintainance" "dealer this, dealer that, electrical codes volvo blah blah.

Would it be realistic at all to purchase a s60 or s80 with 100-150k that would be personally serviceable? I can do timing, thats not an issue. But do you actually need scan tools to check codes and clear codes?....
Can i service this car myself with normal tools and normal mechanical knowledge? or do i need the volvo dealer to hold my hand and empty my pockets so they can clear codes and do preventative maintenance? i thought volvo was quality? or is it just quality while it maintains the manufacture and dealer warranty and service?

Old 08-22-2011, 08:58 PM

Just go buy. We'll be here with the ITYS.

Old 08-23-2011, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by jongrappin
Are all volvos a money pit, that is the real question.... I just hear "dealer maintainance" "dealer this, dealer that, electrical codes volvo blah blah.

Would it be realistic at all to purchase a s60 or s80 with 100-150k that would be personally serviceable? I can do timing, thats not an issue. But do you actually need scan tools to check codes and clear codes?....
Can i service this car myself with normal tools and normal mechanical knowledge? or do i need the volvo dealer to hold my hand and empty my pockets so they can clear codes and do preventative maintenance? i thought volvo was quality? or is it just quality while it maintains the manufacture and dealer warranty and service?
The entire Volvo product line is an overall great vehicle, they will last a long time, their engines are built like rocks, but like any manufacturer, there are models and years that are less then stellar, the early S80's are a perfect example. Even early S80's, if properly maintained, with possibly even more frequent service needs (ie. transmission service more frequent then recommended) are very strong cars.

Normal maintenance, oil changes, transmission fluid changes, brakes, etc, do not require really any special tools or code reading/clearing devices. However, when electrical systems go haywire, normal code readers will often not pick-up on all of the various issues, where VIDAS can, which means a trip to a dealership for at least diagnostic.

Like most European cars, Volvo's are highly computerized and many systems that don't seem logically linked are, and a flood of bad data from one system can cause strange issues with items that do not seem connected.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:42 AM

Originally Posted by jlewisinsyr
The entire Volvo product line is an overall great vehicle, they will last a long time, their engines are built like rocks, but like any manufacturer, there are models and years that are less then stellar, the early S80's are a perfect example. Even early S80's, if properly maintained, with possibly even more frequent service needs (ie. transmission service more frequent then recommended) are very strong cars.

Normal maintenance, oil changes, transmission fluid changes, brakes, etc, do not require really any special tools or code reading/clearing devices. However, when electrical systems go haywire, normal code readers will often not pick-up on all of the various issues, where VIDAS can, which means a trip to a dealership for at least diagnostic.

Like most European cars, Volvo's are highly computerized and many systems that don't seem logically linked are, and a flood of bad data from one system can cause strange issues with items that do not seem connected.
very well said, thanks for the advise. Please see my other thread about my s60 trans issues?

Old 05-06-2013, 04:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you buy an older S80, steer clear of any model with DSTC. They didn't make a lot of them and parts are VERY expensive. Plenty of non DSTC cars out there. DSTC is great until you need to replace an ABS module or brake booster which you most likely will get to do if it hasn't been done yet.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:14 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

a 1999 with 2.9..good luck with the major problems. i would just stay clear from older S80s

Old 05-10-2013, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by akabond
a 1999 with 2.9..good luck with the major problems. i would just stay clear from older S80s
What year would you suggest they started working the bugs out? 2001 or 2002?
I'm looking at used S80s as well. Seems to be the ones available are either 99-00, or 04-05 ish

I'm looking for something early, but not too early, with right around 100K on it.

Old 05-10-2013, 12:40 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well a 05-06' years are good and its same design too. Those year have better powertrain than older year models.

Old 05-12-2013, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by akabond
well a 05-06' years are good and its same design too. Those year have better powertrain than older year models.
Thanks. I think I'll end up closer to an 04, or 05 because of price range.

Not to hijack this guys thread, but I figured I wouldn't start a new one for the same questions.

The T6 is a twin turbo I-6 with a timing belt?
the 2.9 is a non turbo I-6 with a timing chain?

My first thought was to do a 2.9 because all the turbos in my past have lasted roughly 120K, and considering the cars I am looking at are 80K - 90k roughly, not sure I want to get into that, especially with 2 turbos.

Any experience on the life expectancy on a Volvo turbo?

My main criteria for a car is a quite ride, and not a rattle trap. Clunky suspension and a harsh ride are my worst nightmare. Where does the Volvo fit in here? I looked at 5 series, and the ride is solid, but I find it overly firm, and jittery, as with most BMWs (my wife has an X3).

Thoughts?

I am going to test drive my first one tomorrow. I have also decided that I am going to drive at least 4 before I buy, and preferably one of those would be high mileage to get an idea of what I can expect with age.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:17 PM

Don't know what years you're looking at but my '99 S80 2.9 NA has a timing belt. It also has 203kmi on it and was overheated by the previous owner so I'm currently working on that. I've seen Volvo's at the junk yard with 100kmi on them because the timing belt broke and destroyed the engine. Whatever you're looking at, ask about maintenance and get a Carfax report before you buy. Personally, mileage doesn't bother me as long as the car hasn't been neglected.

Old 05-13-2013, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Disco2
Don't know what years you're looking at but my '99 S80 2.9 NA has a timing belt. It also has 203kmi on it and was overheated by the previous owner so I'm currently working on that. I've seen Volvo's at the junk yard with 100kmi on them because the timing belt broke and destroyed the engine. Whatever you're looking at, ask about maintenance and get a Carfax report before you buy. Personally, mileage doesn't bother me as long as the car hasn't been neglected.
Thanks, I wasn't sure about that or not. I read one post that made it sound like the 2.9s had a chain vs a belt.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by bustedwheel
Thanks. I think I'll end up closer to an 04, or 05 because of price range.

Not to hijack this guys thread, but I figured I wouldn't start a new one for the same questions.

The T6 is a twin turbo I-6 with a timing belt?
the 2.9 is a non turbo I-6 with a timing chain?

My first thought was to do a 2.9 because all the turbos in my past have lasted roughly 120K, and considering the cars I am looking at are 80K - 90k roughly, not sure I want to get into that, especially with 2 turbos.

Any experience on the life expectancy on a Volvo turbo?

My main criteria for a car is a quite ride, and not a rattle trap. Clunky suspension and a harsh ride are my worst nightmare. Where does the Volvo fit in here? I looked at 5 series, and the ride is solid, but I find it overly firm, and jittery, as with most BMWs (my wife has an X3).

Thoughts?

I am going to test drive my first one tomorrow. I have also decided that I am going to drive at least 4 before I buy, and preferably one of those would be high mileage to get an idea of what I can expect with age.
Along with a host of electronic issues, the suspension components seem to be a major weak link. I got rid of my S80 2.9 due to having dropped $1200+ in suspension work only to have more suspension issues starting to creep back up about 6 months later... Also, last car I'll ever own with an interference engine mated to a timing belt - that's just a disaster waiting to happen. Unless you have wads of $$ to pay someone else for repairs or plan to have a new part time job as a Volvo mechanic, find some other car.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Falasi4
Along with a host of electronic issues, the suspension components seem to be a major weak link. I got rid of my S80 2.9 due to having dropped $1200+ in suspension work only to have more suspension issues starting to creep back up about 6 months later... Also, last car I'll ever own with an interference engine mated to a timing belt - that's just a disaster waiting to happen. Unless you have wads of $$ to pay someone else for repairs or plan to have a new part time job as a Volvo mechanic, find some other car.
I've got a 2004 Saab 9-3 now, so just being a part time mechanic would give me tons more time on my hands.

What year was your S80?

Also, anyone know when the body color side moldings came into play? (2003 maybe?)

Quick Reply: Should I be concerned with buying a used volvo??