Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Starting Problem & Brake Pedal is very hard

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 01:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting Problem & Brake Pedal is very hard

Hi All,
This morning i tried to start my car S80 2007. when i put my foot on the brake pedal, it's hard as rock, and car tries to start up but engine doesn't!!!! something like out of fuel, check engine light is on!!.
Two days earlier when i was driving i notice car was shifting little hard and slow down even when pressing on the accelerator.
in last month i changed the battery myself.

i appreciate if any body can help and advice?
Thank you!!

Old 12-23-2019, 07:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

Start by getting an OBD2 scan for check engine light fault codes. When you say car won't start and sounds like its out of gas, I assume the car turns over but just spins and doesn't fire up? That would suggest something with fuel pressure - ie pump, fuel pressure sensor etc. The hard brake pedal and odd shifting suggests you may have a vaccuum issue - ie the vaccuum assist pump is not kicking in, there's a vacuum leak or check valve issue in one of the lines going to the booster. Not likely a battery issue if the car is turning over but it can't hurt to retighten the terminal posts. If you have a volt meter, you can also measure the battery voltage and try giving the car a jump start just to rule out battery issues.

Old 12-23-2019, 11:14 PM

@mt6127 thank you for your reply; yesterday i did the following steps;
1- i inserted the key.
2- i pressed on the start button for 30 seconds till all lights on dashboard on, and wait till all off except engine check light and brake.
3- i heard a voice like tune coming from the front (passenger side) like a pump pressure (something like vacuum pump but not sure is this the pump!!)
4- i pressed on the brake pedal; it's less hard (but not smooth like previously), then i heard a unlock sound in the transmission stick.
5- i pushed start button while pressing brake pedal, and the car start over but engine didn't start.
6- check engine start flashing around 5-6 times (in yellow color), and then keep on continuously.

i think about towing my car to the dealer but it will cost me to much!!!
i hope notes above can help any body to figure out what is the problem.
thank you for time and efforts.

Old 12-24-2019, 10:01 AM
Super Moderator
Received 493 Likes on 474 Posts

Is that your normal start sequence? What engine does your car have (I'm assuming its not a diesel)? A few thoughts on what to try

1) all doors closed, lock/unlock doors 5x with the fob usually resets the immobilizer
2) make sure the mat is not in the way of the brake pedal
3) insert key, fully depress the brake pedal, press/release start button. (don't hold in). This should start the engine to crank. if nothing, wait 15 seconds then press/release the start/stop button a second time just to be sure.

If that doesn't work, then you'll need to check for blown fuses etc. If still nothing, my sense is there may be a tie in between the brake pedal (ie a position sensor) and the inability to engage the starter which will require a visit to the shop.

Old 12-25-2019, 12:03 AM

@mt6127 Thank you very much, i'll check again if not working. i'll tow it to the volvo service center, hopefully they do quote me too much (

Old 01-01-2020, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by mt6127
Is that your normal start sequence? What engine does your car have (I'm assuming its not a diesel)? A few thoughts on what to try

1) all doors closed, lock/unlock doors 5x with the fob usually resets the immobilizer
2) make sure the mat is not in the way of the brake pedal
3) insert key, fully depress the brake pedal, press/release start button. (don't hold in). This should start the engine to crank. if nothing, wait 15 seconds then press/release the start/stop button a second time just to be sure.

If that doesn't work, then you'll need to check for blown fuses etc. If still nothing, my sense is there may be a tie in between the brake pedal (ie a position sensor) and the inability to engage the starter which will require a visit to the shop.
Hi, a small update
today i checked the fuel rail (fuel pressure sensor), and i found fuel rail was empty something like no fuel is delivered to the rail. is it mean fuel pump doesn't work or something in the fuel filter?

Old 01-01-2020, 11:46 PM

Hi All,
Happy New Year
Just an update; i bought STP Complete Fuel system Cleaner. i tried to turn on the car but status is the same and a day later i checked the fuel filter tubes and all connections, and then tried again to turn on the car, at this time my car turn on and engine running very well even the check engine light is off.
i kept the engine running for 10 minutes with focusing on the performance. i noticed the following;
1- rpm is little higher than normal but not too much (may be because of the STP additives).
2- There is a sound coming from the driving belt down pulley.
3- when i press on the brake paddle. i can hear the transmission unlock obviously, but after releasing the brake paddle and when transmission relock again i can't hear the voice like before (become very weak).
Goodness my car run again and next weekend i'll go for test drive and share with you any update.

Old 06-05-2020, 11:29 AM

Hi All,

My car Volvo S80, 2007 has stopped again. It seems a fuel pump. I’ve refill car till the cap. when the fuel goes low, check engine turn on and car slow down then stop!!

Is any one face same symptoms? Can I drive for a while or I have to change the fuel pump immediately? I changed 2 years ago and it is only run 45k km.
Thanks!!

Old 05-08-2024, 11:26 AM
Default You solve?

Originally Posted by Tarik
Hi All,
This morning i tried to start my car S80 2007. when i put my foot on the brake pedal, it's hard as rock, and car tries to start up but engine doesn't!!!! something like out of fuel, check engine light is on!!.
Two days earlier when i was driving i notice car was shifting little hard and slow down even when pressing on the accelerator.
in last month i changed the battery myself.

i appreciate if any body can help and advice?
Thank you!!

hello did you solve the issue, because have the same issue now on my xc60 2009 T6? Appreciate your response