Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Transmission went Bad, Need Advise Please

Old 05-05-2007, 12:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission went Bad, Need Advise Please

99 S80 114k miles. Got transmission flushed at 93k miles about a year ago.

I was driving my car and the urgent transmission service light came on. When I parked the car in the parking lot I checked the transmission oil and there was non. So I put some transmission oil in the car and it was driving very slow.

I went to the volvo dealer and they said that I need a new transmission which would be about $3,500 plus tax. I am considering taking it to AAMCO Transmissions so maybe they can get it fixed for less and the fact that it is a GM transmission.

The advise that I need isshould I just go for the new transmission at the dealership or should I have it fixed at AAMCO if it can be fixed which I think it can be fixed because the car is still moving. And even if it can be fixed is it worth to get it fixed because since the S80 GM transmission are so promblem prone, is there a risk it can go bad again .

Thank You

Old 05-05-2007, 11:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Transmission went Bad, Need Advise Please

you could be looking at nothing but seals if the carstill moves with no slippage just losing oil would get secomd opinion

Old 05-06-2007, 01:51 AM

The exact same thing just happened to me tonight... Out for a drive with my son and bam... light comes on... next stop... car only starts out in 3rd won't go to 1st or 2nd... nurse it home shut it off and i can get 1st and 2nd but the light is back on.... just got the car w/ 75k miles a month ago... 2000 s80 t6.... can't wait for the dealer to screw me.

Old 05-11-2007, 11:47 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ill buy the car off you , you need a new trans probably, id like to know what the DTC is in the TCM, i wouldnt recommend having it rebuilt, unless they GUARENTEE a warranty in writeing. id have seen nothing but problems out of rebuilts, the TCM's in the s80 is so picky that it wont shift right, its almost constantly resetting the adaptive by itself.. i know its constantly in adaptive mode, but it loses it on key cycle

Old 05-12-2007, 11:54 PM

Hello,

After seeking lots of second opionions my dadgave the dealership the OK to install the new transmission.The dealer tech saidshould be installed by Monday. Is the new transmission going to be any better or different then the old 99 one or is it going to be the same because I heard in this forum once that GMimproved the problematictransmissions in the later years like 2002 and beyond. And also last year I had the transmission power flushed at 93k miles by a European car expect who works on Volvo's, Mercedeas Benz and BMW so do you think that might have caused the transmission to fail because I heard from a few people in this forum that flushing will actually damage the transmission. Or do you think because these GM built 99-01 S80 transmissions are known to be so problem prone, it was just a matter of time of when it was going to go bad.

Old 05-13-2007, 04:53 AM
reg

I have my transmission fluid FLUSHED by the dealer every two years irrespective of mileage. I can vividly recall the mis-information that was running rampant when synthetic oil arrived on the market. The naysayers said you can not put it in an older vehicle. Well, that did not prove to be true. The next hoopla was regarding platinum plugs...............that the plugs will not operate correctly. That is not true. Then we hear about not flushing the trans fluid. This simply is not true. Lastly, my old Volvo is serviced by the dealer and although it has the Asin/Warner transmission which calls for a "special" fluid, the dealer since 2002 has used the G.M. fluid in the service and I have yet to have a problem. With that said, I believe that you should keep a closer eye on the fluid level in the future and perhaps you will experience no futher issues.

r.

Old 05-14-2007, 06:11 AM

the trans in the volvos are problem prone because "VOLVO CARS" said they fixed the trans's, volvo actually bought the trans's off GM, and reworked them. thats the whole prob, GM only has probs with a few valve bodys..

Old 05-14-2007, 12:36 PM

So are the S80 transmissions problematic or all Volvo model transmissions problem prone. And do all Volvos have GM transmissions or are they only in the S80's or the XC 90's SUV's. And how are the 98-00 S70's transmissions because im thinking of buying one for my son. I had a 96 850 which my son wrecked it in an accident a year ago and totaled itand I put 211k trouble free miles on it and it is by far the best car I have ever owned. I know the S70's are the same platform as the 850's. I know that the 98 models are the better ones because of the ETM's but do the 99-00 models of the same engine and transmissions as the 98 models.

thanks

Old 05-14-2007, 05:02 PM
reg

[quote]ORIGINAL: volvotechky

the trans in the volvos are problem prone because "VOLVO CARS" said they fixed the trans's, volvo actually bought the trans's off GM, and reworked them. thats the whole prob, GM only has probs with a few valve bodys..

The Asin/Warner transmission is not a General Motors product. The "special" fluid is applicable to these transmissions only. You will recall that Mobil sells this product under their name also. IPD sells the Mobil product. The dealer that services my transmission (Asin/Warner) does use the G.M. fluid rather than the "special" fluid. Works for me!

r.

Old 05-14-2007, 05:58 PM

Asin/Warner is a japanese subsidary of Borg/Warner, the Trans's in the xc90 and Volvo S80 use thew SAME parts are a GM 4t65e made by hydromatics, the reason volvo has problems is because they changed the valve body design, that trans is the SAME trans the Chevy Venture Vans, the MonteCarlo's the bonnevilles, GM has VERY few problems with the trans's, however Volvo screwed them up.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:25 PM

I own a 2000 S80 t6, have 93,000 miles. Got message "Transmission Service Urgent" along with ENGINE light. Drove slow as if gears not shifting(stuck in 3rd gear). Took to Volvo dealer, they told me I needed a new transmission and they would work it out with my Warrranty. However, when I told them my warranty expired I was told they could probably reset the computer to rid the message and it might be fine and theat it may be a solenoid stuck. Sounded strange to me. Picked up the car with the service slip noting they recommend I drive the care. Shortyl after leaving dealership, got same message with same issues. Took car to mechanic outside of Volvo, was told the codes they pulled were that there had been a recall on the gear shift solenoid and I should take back to dealer since they would have to pay for recall repairs.Dealershiop never addressed this with me. Anyone know of this? I feel that the Volvo dealership is trying to screw me.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:06 AM

there is no recall on those transmissions, there is a TNN applying to a certain conditions that require the replacement of the STH solenoid. The conditions apply to a customer complaint of a shudder on takeoff.

The guy you took your car to does not know what he's talking about. Also there is no way he can tell what codes were in the vehicle before and the codes he pulled.

I dont know why everyone assumes the dealer is always trying to screw them.

If you go talk to the Service manager very nicely and ask him if theres any assistance volvo can provide you. Also let him know that the only reason your asking for this assistance is because you have been aware of ALL of the transmission issues in the S80's and XC90's and you dont think that it is an isolated issue, that its a known problem.

But the dealer is correct, you probably need a new trans, The code was probably for either 3rd, or 4th gear incorrect gear ratio, Mainly due to the high line pressures wearing out the clutch disks.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:47 PM

The platinum plug rumor is true on the t-6 depends on the car but I installed platinum and was getting overboost check engine light and car ran like raped ape for two days then after the two days itwould barely run at all. switched to copper no problems since and that was 6 months ago. Tech said it could be dependent on how picky the particular t-6 is.

ORIGINAL: reg

I have my transmission fluid FLUSHED by the dealer every two years irrespective of mileage. I can vividly recall the mis-information that was running rampant when synthetic oil arrived on the market. The naysayers said you can not put it in an older vehicle. Well, that did not prove to be true. The next hoopla was regarding platinum plugs...............that the plugs will not operate correctly. That is not true. Then we hear about not flushing the trans fluid. This simply is not true. Lastly, my old Volvo is serviced by the dealer and although it has the Asin/Warner transmission which calls for a "special" fluid, the dealer since 2002 has used the G.M. fluid in the service and I have yet to have a problem. With that said, I believe that you should keep a closer eye on the fluid level in the future and perhaps you will experience no futher issues.

r.

Old 12-03-2008, 04:10 PM

It is not anything new to see the trans go out. I would recommend wither getting a new one, or getting a used one though. I just dont feel comfortable with shop rebuilds...but thats just me. As far as the flush goes....I have this opinion about flushes in major componants like the trans. If you have never had a flush...dont get one. If the car is new and you would like to do it from the start and keep up with it like a "preventative maintanance", then I think that would be the best thing. If you come in with 80,000 miles, 100, 000 or whatever and they say well, your fluid looks dirty and you could use a flush. I would say no. I true flush on a worn or high mileage engine/trans, especially if not done right, could break all the gunk, junk or whatever you want to call it loose and float it around and through the system getting into your solenoids and everything else. That is what causes the harm. I have the same opinion about additives for oil and fuel. It is ok to use it regularly from the early life of the vehicle, but you cant really come in with 100,000 and think that a trans flush or oil additive will solve an issue. It is an easy and common misconception to make with varying opinions and all the products and there respective "promises" .

Old 12-03-2008, 04:48 PM

ORIGINAL: Wolf_R

It is not anything new to see the trans go out. I would recommend wither getting a new one, or getting a used one though. I just dont feel comfortable with shop rebuilds...but thats just me. As far as the flush goes....I have this opinion about flushes in major componants like the trans. If you have never had a flush...dont get one. If the car is new and you would like to do it from the start and keep up with it like a "preventative maintanance", then I think that would be the best thing. If you come in with 80,000 miles, 100, 000 or whatever and they say well, your fluid looks dirty and you could use a flush. I would say no. I true flush on a worn or high mileage engine/trans, especially if not done right, could break all the gunk, junk or whatever you want to call it loose and float it around and through the system getting into your solenoids and everything else. That is what causes the harm. I have the same opinion about additives for oil and fuel. It is ok to use it regularly from the early life of the vehicle, but you cant really come in with 100,000 and think that a trans flush or oil additive will solve an issue. It is an easy and common misconception to make with varying opinions and all the products and there respective "promises" .

You woudnt feel comfy with a shop rebuild? i rebuild tran's all the time, no problems as at..

As for flushing from day one? some cars car for the fluid to be flushed at 30-60k intervals, the reasoning behind this isnt to cure a problem, its simply to change the fluid because it has broken down. Thats why you change oil, not because it turns black. But because the viscosity of the oil has broken down, and the lubrication protection is gone. All fluids will get dirty, because their essentialy detergents, thats the big issue between full syntetic and regular dino oil. syntetics have more detergents to keep the engine cleaner, and also a higher temperature rating so the oil doesnt break down as quickly, thats why reg oil has a lower life than synthetic.

Id change the trans fluid every 30k, that just me, regardless if its ever been changed, the fluid circulating now will be no different than while its being flushed. Just fresh oil, which in turn equals better protection. When i do a flush on a vehicle i drain the fluid fill it back up, flush the system with a machine, them remove the pan and replace the filter, then add more fluid. I have seen it help with shifting and other problems.

The main failures of the Volvo 4t65 transmissions, it in the valvebody, volvo designed for the car, it keeps the line pressure to high, therefore it breaks down on the clutches sooner, and causes slippage, shudders and harsh shifting..

As for oil additives and fuel additives, ill agree with you there, there is no reason to add oil additives to a car that is running fine and not useing oil. I have seen a few fuel additives fix some injectors but not usally, 99% of them are to diluted to do anything..

Old 12-03-2008, 07:12 PM

I agree with you completely. I might have stated it wrong...sometimes I have a hard time getting my point across. I guess what I was trying to refer to was that sometimes, in my opinion, when 1 flush is done after the trans is already experiancing problematic issues sutch as a shudder, etc, a flush doesnt exactly cause a problem, but it does stand a chance to hasten the death of the trans. I think that makes sense. Thanks for the input, very well put!

Old 12-03-2008, 07:23 PM

Hi Guys

Im the one who actually created this post back in May 07 when the transmission went bad on my 99 S80 at 114k miles. Right now the car has 151K miles on it so I put 37K miles on the new Tranny which are all Highway Miles. With that being said would it be safe for me to get it flushed when the tranny hits the 50K mile range or should I just get it done now to be safe.

And also would you recomend getting the tranny flushed on an older car but with low miles on it. Because im in the market for a low millege S70 with like 50K miles or under. Im going to look at a 2000 S70 with just 45K miles on it. So since it is a 9 year old car with under 50K miles on it would you reccomend having the tranny flushed or just have the trany fluid replaced ( fill and drain. And this is if the tranny has never ever been flushed.

Thank You

Old 12-03-2008, 07:35 PM

I have a 2001 s80 t6, AAMCO Transmissions does a fine job, 9k since the rebuild. I would reccomend mend them for the job atleast in my area. He even gave me a 4 year 50,000 mile warranty for free. And my warranty from the car paid for it lol.

Old 12-04-2008, 05:46 PM
Banned

Have to say my local Volvo deal here in west Knoxville has, thus far, been pretty fair to me, price-wise, on parts. For some of the stupid little things (like the center caps on my wheels) it was cheaper to buy the part new ($12) than used on eBay, go figure. They only charged me $9 for a fuel door hinge too. Almost feel guilty leaving sometimes without buying some of that $150/hr labor. [] Well OK, not too guilty.

Old 12-05-2008, 11:57 AM

150$ thats wicked high, here in boston its 99.97$/hr

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Transmission went Bad, Need Advise Please