Volvo S80 A performance sedan that offers top notch luxury, outstanding handling and so much more.

Volvo Parts

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 02:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Volvo Parts

hello all

My name is Chuck and I live in Central Texas,Tuesday me and the wife picked up a '99 S80 T6

couple questions

1.where is a good online place to buy from
2.who makes a good coil pack for these cars (I have MSD on my CTS and they rock)

Thanks

Old 09-11-2008, 04:11 PM
Old 09-11-2008, 06:20 PM
Default RE: Volvo Parts

IPD and FCP are the two that I've used thus far, top notchon both!

Old 09-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

www.eeuroparts.com is normally a little bit more expensive than FCP but it can manage to be cheaper sometimes because I think you only need to spend $59 for free shipping whereas FCP you have to spend$149 for the free shipping.

Otherwise I have found that eeruoparts and even www.myswedishparts.com to be great places for rare and dealer only parts, they do these on custom order, maybe thru a telephone call..

I guess its worth shopping around

Old 09-13-2008, 11:56 AM
Banned

I ordered one of these

for my 2003 S80 from eEuroParts. Hard to believe a bunch of switches costs me $331 but was cheaper than buying from dealer. Unfortunately my package didn't get here today as expected though. I ordered early Thursday morning (9AM) buy they didn't ship until late that evening, so lost a whole day. Free shipping is nice but would gladly have paid for two day air had I known the 1-3 days they claim for ground is bogus. Fedex site say ground can take up to six.

Old 09-13-2008, 12:00 PM

1-3 days from thursday? it arrived within the said timeframe so whats the complaint?

Old 09-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Once you install that you need to go to the Dealer to have them download software to program it to the car.
If not is will cause problems with the car.
It was so much because it is a module.(Computer)

Old 09-13-2008, 01:44 PM
Banned

It hasn't arrived yet. Only complaint is there's no benefit to ordering early, as they only ship once a day late at night, which is really next (business) day, not same day, shipping. Most online retailers ship twice a day. Anwho, wasn't planning on any reprogramming but if it causes trouble guess I'll need to. Figured it would just be an array of switches and the main computer would do all the thinking... but I guess we'll see. Thanks for the warning/tip again tech. So far you've been consistantly right and me consistantly wrong, so I expect the same will happen again. Guess Volvo really doesn't want third parties making parts for their vehicles. :|

EDIT: And what the !@#$ is up with quotes around here... grrr... hehe

Old 09-13-2008, 02:36 PM
Administrator
Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

There is a software problem with the forum. The apostrophies show up as quotes.

Old 09-15-2008, 08:54 AM
Banned

So I go to get in my S80 this morning (at 6AM) for a two hour commute and the switches are flashing on and off, locking and unlocking my doors repeatedly. Had to take my Honda Passport to work instead. Just checked FedEx and part isn't on the truck this morning. That means it's going to be a minimum of four business days, not 1-3 as promised.

They should have just said free fedex ground, next day shipping. Then at least I would have known what to expect.Definitely would have paid for two day air instead...

Old 09-15-2008, 10:23 AM

Personally I would take UPS over Fedex anyday...
Fedex has repeatedly angered my by leaving packages either on my doorstep or with my neighbors....
Consider I live in a college community, 10 buildings, each with 3 floors, each with 4 apartments, each with 4 people...
Almost 500 people right... My doorstep is also the doorstep for 15 other people essentially so how can you POSSIBLY leave a package there...
Same goes with the neighbors, fedex surely will know that it is a college community and as a result neighbors come and go so no one ever really knows who is living next door..

Bottom line is, UPS sometimes can be a bit slower, but they definitely are smarter... They use their "risk map" to determine where they can and cannot do doorstep deliveries and clearly my apartment is on the "bad" part of the map...

anyway enough with my diatribe.. I hope everything works out for you once you receive the switches. My left rear door is still a bit moody sometimes... sometimes it responds to the central control to lock or unlock, other times it doesnt
Same goes with the remote, it will always unlock from the remote, but not always lock back..
i guess il just live with it..

Old 09-15-2008, 11:47 AM
Banned

I prefer UPS myself...

An extra day or two may not seem like a big deal to most people, but I'm strictly a weekend/shade-tree mechanic (aka an amature, hehe), and I work/live out of town during the week. So having the package showup on a Tuesday or Wednesdayjustdoesn't work for me. They might as well keep it until next Saturday at this point, as I won't be able to do anything with the parts until then anyways.

Old 09-17-2008, 10:56 AM

I prefer FedEx. UPS always leaves me a note even if the package is not shipped with signature required option. When I called UPS they told me that it is up to the driver to leave the note or the package. Plus their pickup office is more than 10 miles from my home and FedEx is only about 5 miles with better pickup hours.

Old 09-19-2008, 05:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like FEDEX best of all..the last 2 shipments came on Saturday at no extra charge..UPS won't do that...

Old 09-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Crito

I ordered one of these

for my 2003 S80 from eEuroParts. Hard to believe a bunch of switches costs me $331 ...
FYI, this part fixed the last of my electrical problems. Was really worried there was something wrong with the side mirrors but they adjust/work perfectly now, so was just that little joystick thingy. Noticed on eEuroParts site that 2003 was the last year they used this assembly, so guess it was already programmed correctly for my car.

Thanks for all the great tips!

Old 09-21-2008, 12:17 PM
Banned

For anyone interested, I couldn't resist taking apart the old driver side door button assembly...

Here's a link to full resolution image:

http://4crito.com/msgbrd/pics/s80buttons_big.jpg

Old 09-21-2008, 12:28 PM
Banned

Oh, and the problem appears to be the contacts on upper circuit board, which I believe are made out of copper. You can plainly see green corrosion in pic. Rest of unit appear fine, so guess I'll save it just in case I need the "computer" part.

I wonder which one of those chips is the flash memory? Anywho...

EDIT: Here's the unit partially reassembled. Upper circuit board with the array of switches is connected to computer part by a simple ribbon cable. So you *SHOULD* be able to salvage buttons from other units!

Old 11-04-2008, 08:12 AM
Banned

Also FYI, while the driver side switches are in a programmable module, this module does not participate in any distributed functions. Meaning replacing the module WILL NOT cause any problems with you car and reprogramming is OPTIONAL. If you chose not to reprogram the module it won't know the "full up" position of the driver side window, however, so it won't be able to roll it up or down automatically (you'll need to hold the button down for the duration.)

The CAN network is designed for independently operating modules, and the vast majority in a Volvo can be replaced without reprogramming. Some like the CEM, ECU and TCM are interdependent however, so the software version between them must match. There are also control files in some of the modules (like for security) that sometimes need to be reloaded or things like your remote won't work.