Volvo S90 & V90 Returning for 2017, This sleek full sized sedan mixes luxury with a sporty look.

V90CC vs Subaru Outback vs V90 Inscription

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2020, 08:17 PM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Default V90CC vs Subaru Outback vs V90 Inscription

I realize the V90CC is much more popular than the V90 Inscription in the USA, while the Subaru Outback accounts for the vast majority of all wagon sales. For those who purchased the V90CC, I'm just curious to as why you selected this over the Outback and/or the V90 Inscription.

NOTE: I currently own a 2020 V90 Inscription.

Old 08-14-2020, 07:51 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Maggs,

I had a 2012 Outback Limited and loved it, and might have bought another, but the features of the V90 CC as well as the style, converted me to the Volvo. The lack of power in the Subaru also played a part, although now with the return of the Turbo engine, it may be a better car than it was. The Volvo is much quieter than the Outback which matters to me. The V90 also has more room and storage space, but the Ascent would likely solve that if I wanted a SUV, which I don't. I also had a Mercedes E class and my wife complained constantly about the hard seats which in the end pushed me to find a vehicle with comfortable seats, the Volvo won that test easily. In any case, I'm happy with the Volvo.

Old 08-16-2020, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by GRock
Hi Maggs,

I had a 2012 Outback Limited and loved it, and might have bought another, but the features of the V90 CC as well as the style, converted me to the Volvo. The lack of power in the Subaru also played a part, although now with the return of the Turbo engine, it may be a better car than it was. The Volvo is much quieter than the Outback which matters to me. The V90 also has more room and storage space, but the Ascent would likely solve that if I wanted a SUV, which I don't. I also had a Mercedes E class and my wife complained constantly about the hard seats which in the end pushed me to find a vehicle with comfortable seats, the Volvo won that test easily. In any case, I'm happy with the Volvo.
Hi, GRock. I knew I could count on you to reply! Nice to hear from you. Sure wish the other members would participate.

Old 08-17-2020, 12:50 AM
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

I lived in suburban Chicago and northern Indiana for 13 years. During that time I drove 2 FWD cars - a Saab 99 and a Ford Fiesta. I also owned and drove 2 RWD station wagons, a 1967 Chrysler and a a Volvo 265. While the FWD cars were a bit more "tossable" on snow and ice than the wagons, ( they were also a lot smaller) I was never "stuck" in any of the cars. One observation that I made: Owners of 4WD cars often found themselves in difficulty because they failed to recognize that while FWD has some forward traction advantages in limited circumstances, it offers no advantage in slowing or braking.

My opinion? Perhaps 10% of the owners of SUVs and other 4WD vehicles drive under conditions that merit 4WD. The other 90% are carrying around excess weight, needless complication and are sacrificing fuel mileage to no advantage.

Old 08-17-2020, 08:04 AM

I had a 74 Chevy Caprice Estate wagon which was a beast, over 5200 lbs. empty that virtually would not get stuck in the snow. Most people with 4WD or AWD have no clue how to drive in the snow, especially when it comes to stopping. I can't tell you how many times I've seen fools in a Jeep Grand Cherokee stuck or way off the road because they "thought" they were invincible, especially when ice is on the road. The vast majority would be fine with a FWD vehicle....I used to have to drive from O'Hare to Rockford weekly in the 90s for work and I found that a full windshield washer tank was vastly more important than 4WD! Ever tried to see through a 'whitewashed" windshield on the highway? Salt spray from the road makes the case for an optional oversized windshield washer tank a priceless commodity!

Old 08-17-2020, 09:43 AM

Thanks, GRock and Pretorien. I figured that you two would be the only ones to reply. Not sure why most others don't participate.

When I posted this topic, I have to admit that I had ulterior motives. (A) I was interested to see why a person might have chosen the V90CC over the Subaru Outback (I owned a 2011 ... the new ones are comparable regarding safety and comfort, although in some areas, the quality of material is less than the Volvo IMO) and (B) For those who chose the V90CC, why didn't they purchase the V90 Inscription?

From my biased perspective, the V90 Inscription is the most beautiful Volvo they produce, and is a far better value than its closest competitors (MB 450 Estate Wagon and Audi A6 All-Road). In addition, since I test drove all three, I can say that the V90's front seats were the most comfortable for my wife and I. Lastly, the body cladding in the V90CC is not something that interests me.

With this said, particularly for an active family with children (and possibly a pet), I can see where the V90CC would be a better choice, primarily for one reason ... IMO the seat leather in my V90 Inscription, while EXTREMELY comfortable, is not the most durable material. My perforated leather seats in our 2007 Lexus ES 350 appear to be more durable, while at the same time offering excellent comfort. From what I recall, the MB 450's seat perforated seat leather was more durable, as well, but the seat cushion was too firm.

Since my wife and I travel with a small dog, I've placed thick fabric over the rear seats and installed a see-through net between the front seats so that she doesn't step on the front seats and harm the leather (she almost punctured the front seat cushion leather at one point). Also, I purchased interior door shields from Weathertech that slip onto the door panel. This prevents pet damage to the interior door panels. Other than the see-through net, I only install the other protective items when we travel with our dog.

Old 08-17-2020, 10:44 AM

Well actually mine is the V90 CC T6 Inscription, best of both worlds....

We must be the only owners of V90s around or the rest haven't found the forum yet, or just don't care.

Old 08-21-2020, 04:47 PM

Originally Posted by GRock
Well actually mine is the V90 CC T6 Inscription, best of both worlds....

We must be the only owners of V90s around or the rest haven't found the forum yet, or just don't care.
My vote is "don't care".

Old 08-22-2020, 07:44 AM

Yeah, it appears most don't care or look at the Swedespeed forum which appears to be more popular.