Volvo S90 & V90 Returning for 2017, This sleek full sized sedan mixes luxury with a sporty look.

S90 - 2017 vs 2018

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2017, 07:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S90 - 2017 vs 2018

I saw a 2018 Volvo S90 at the dealer's.
The wheelbase is longer and the clear glass roof extends longer. The car looks almost like a limo. In addition, it is built in China (whereas the 2017 was assembled in Sweden).
Maybe the country of manufacture doesn't matter as the cars are mostly built by robots. What do you think?

Old 07-05-2017, 06:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Country of origin aside. It's a new plant, new workers, newly programmed robots... The experience level of the workers, the run time on the robots and any number of bugs that come from spinning up a new factory regardless of location would have me looking at the 2017 over the 2018 but that is just my opinion.

Old 11-29-2017, 09:57 AM

The reason why I decided to go with the 2018 was because of the longer wheel base. I frequently have customers travel to and from restaurants and events with me. With the seat all the way back, there is plenty of room for a 6'+ tall person to sit comfortably.

I tried the 2018 Mercedes C43 AMG, 2018 Audi A7, 2018 BMW 540xi, 2018 Genesis G80, and the 2017 Lexus GS350 F. Of all of those cars, the new Volvo interior absolutely wins. The Mercedes was too small, the E class is way over priced for leasing. The Audi A7 is NICE but I kept hitting my shoulders getting in and out of the car. The engine was mediocre at best. The 2018 BMW 540xi was just a little bit of an outdated interior and the engine wasn't anything to get excited about anymore. ( I owned two 335xi's). The Genesis -- ugh this one was tough. I loved the 3.3 Turbo but it still in my eyes is Hyundai -- which is still "feels" cheap. Even if the car is 68k and has a lot of imitation features. Plus the blind spot monitor didn't work when you were between the length of a semi trailer. The 2017 Lexus GS350 this car was nice, but the infotainment system controller drives me nuts. A joystick? Really? That's the best you can do?

As per the quality of the car, it seems solid. I lease my vehicles and having all of the maintenance included (except tires and gas) is a HUGE plus to me. The S90 is aimed directly at the BMW 7 Series, the Lincoln Continental, and the Audi A7. I think they did a killer job competing with these brands. I'm looking forward to posing pictures.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:53 PM
Lux

Old thread, but I own a current generation Avalon, which I thought was a good sized car. I got a 18 S90 setup with the driver's seat exactly where I needed it this past saturday, got in the back seat. Then immediately compared to my avalon. The avalon is known for having a large capacity in the rear seats but the S90 beat it handily. Was really surprised. It is truly spacious back there. Obviously the middle occupant will be kissing their knees, but the two sides are really nice. Volvo brags about the extension offering so much room and it's true.

Old 07-23-2018, 05:36 PM

Coming from someone who's done business in China and used to travel there multiple times a year I can tell you that there are total garbage shops and then there are better than American shops when it comes to equipment. I've been to the Boeing shop in Shanghai and Seattle, and Shanghai has better equipment and quality assurance measures. Anyone who would be in charge of anything quality or safety related is either an expat or a Chinese citizen with a degree from the US. Nearly all of the Harley Davidson screaming eagle parts and all of their boots jackets t-shirts and gloves come from China and are made with a good level of quality, the idea that the Chinese can't make a good product is using dated information from 20 years ago, they really have come a long way. Don't get me wrong I hated living there for anything longer than a month at a time, but then you see high speed trains that basically go the same distance as NYC to CHI in about 5hrs for about $70 USD each way in first class with leg room for days and wonder how a 3rd world country beat america to the punch.

Old 08-17-2018, 07:16 PM
Lux

Originally Posted by dannymcd
Coming from someone who's done business in China and used to travel there multiple times a year I can tell you that there are total garbage shops and then there are better than American shops when it comes to equipment. I've been to the Boeing shop in Shanghai and Seattle, and Shanghai has better equipment and quality assurance measures. Anyone who would be in charge of anything quality or safety related is either an expat or a Chinese citizen with a degree from the US. Nearly all of the Harley Davidson screaming eagle parts and all of their boots jackets t-shirts and gloves come from China and are made with a good level of quality, the idea that the Chinese can't make a good product is using dated information from 20 years ago, they really have come a long way. Don't get me wrong I hated living there for anything longer than a month at a time, but then you see high speed trains that basically go the same distance as NYC to CHI in about 5hrs for about $70 USD each way in first class with leg room for days and wonder how a 3rd world country beat america to the punch.
I understand those trains are heavily subsidized.

But I agree with the rest. I work for an international manufacturer, and when I have to support a small component of our business in China I find the people I deal with to be capable and meticulous. In fact, and I've raised this to my local business, when I do the same task locally with people who have been in the position for years--and who I can see and work with in person--it's just more frustrating. We even ran an analysis and are adopting the way the Chinese people were giving me requirements.

Chinese manufacturing has been crap for the most part because first world nations want cutthroat prices and they get cutthroat quality in return. I don't believe there is anything in the culture that limits their potential (there probably is in the economy to a degree), and thus with the correct motivation there's no real reason to think they will always be behind the west in terms of tech or economy.

Old 08-17-2018, 08:07 PM
Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Here's my view on the topic. Volvo does not do well in the luxury sedan of this class. If you want something that will be a star performer, I'd recommend the Mercedes S class. I've owned them and they sit squarely at the top of the automotive food chain.

While Volvo makes a fine sedan and wagon, when reaching for this uppermost position, they really don't compare to what a Mercedes S class can deliver.

Old 08-19-2018, 09:05 AM
Lux

Originally Posted by tony1963
Here's my view on the topic. Volvo does not do well in the luxury sedan of this class. If you want something that will be a star performer, I'd recommend the Mercedes S class. I've owned them and they sit squarely at the top of the automotive food chain.

While Volvo makes a fine sedan and wagon, when reaching for this uppermost position, they really don't compare to what a Mercedes S class can deliver.
That may be true, I've never driven a Mercedes. I went with an S90 because I got an amazing lease deal the likes of which mercedes, BMW could never touch.